Fender C shape and V shape necks

I've played a few V necks, I think they make two types of V necks, theres the hard V and the Soft, I didn't really like the hard V, but the Soft V ones are bad ass. The Hard V was just to pointy for me, I know the Clapton strat has a Soft V and I loved that one.

I've played a few V necks, I think they make two types of V necks, theres the hard V and the Soft, I didn't really like the hard V, but the Soft V ones are bad ass. The Hard V was just to pointy for me, I know the Clapton strat has a Soft V and I loved that one.

This is true, I think it was a soft V that I played.

My banjo actually has a V shaped neck and it's great :)

I tried one with a soft V, and I didn't like it. It seemed like the neck was too thin for me. I prefer C necks, but everyone's different.

I think that you should just try both neck shapes, and see what you like best. Like I tell people on UG no ones hands are the same so you might like a neck that I hate, and I might like one that you might hate.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a question... I looked at that link and it says that the hard V neck is a "thumbs over" neck, what does that mean? I've been playing guitar for a few years now and I've never heard that term used before.

and sorry in advance for my lack of knowledge, I'll try to keep the stupid questions to a minimum.

Thumbs over is like a Jimi style, where you have a medium to large hand, so when you're playing, your thumb rests over the neck.

I've thought about this before, i have to play jimi style, my hand isn't exactly Krist Novoselic, but it's big enough that i play thumbs over and it's still not as comfortable as it could be, so my plan is to profile a neck with an offset soft v to it, or maybe a wobbly u lol.

Instead of the deepest part of the neck being dead centre, between the D and g, have the widest part say where the A/D is. It'll force my thumb off the neck, but pull my fingers round more if you know what i mean.

I think it's a good idea, i don't know why anyone hasn't tried it before apart from cost, it'll be a bit #### if i do it and get carpal tunnel, and yeah, spending a good few hours and money on a neck noone can play will also be bad, but then again, gotta be worth a risk, it could be the prevention for carpal tunnel.

so it'd be like cupping the neck between your thumb and index finger, to the point where you could mute the e string with your thumb if you wanted? as apposed to the thumb resting on the back of the neck, where a skunk stripe would run?

and because I saw these on the foo fighters page on facebook a little while back:

Kurt's Small clone: http://yfrog.com/bdwzrjj

Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic recently: http://yfrog.com/0p9dmoj

(please don't yell at me for it, I thought someone might find them interesting... I know the regulars hate Teh Kurtz)

so it'd be like cupping the neck between your thumb and index finger, to the point where you could mute the e string with your thumb if you wanted? as apposed to the thumb resting on the back of the neck, where a skunk stripe would run?

actually it's for playing notes on the e string using your thumb if you so desire, not just muting the string with your thumb.....

• 1 month later...

I have an easier time with my thumbs when I am on bass. I have to use the Jimi method when I play guitar for comfort as well. My old guitar teacher tried to get me to stop, but I don't feel comfortable with my hand hanging. The thumb takes weight off of my wrist and stabalizes my hand. The Jag-Stang/Mustang neck feel nice. I don't see a lot of difference from a C and a soft V. Go in and play some to see how it feels to you. Even if 99% of the people hate one type of neck, it could be the one that fits you best. Warmoth can make you a neck with any of those shapes. I might get one for my custom telecaster I am building.

Interesting that about the thumbs over thing. I do that most of the time, though I tend to switch between (obviously) depending on what shape/chord I'm playing.

Am I the only person here who likes hard V necks?

well aren't hard v necks basically like designed for your style of playing?