Fender Blacktop Series

I just found this thread.

I really don't like these guitars, it's a problem I and others have been griping about for ages, the fact that Fender - as much as we love them - are just completely devoid of new ideas, and are content to just bastardize established models in order to move more units.

What was the last 'unique' design Fender came out with? The Cyclone? Toronado? I wish they would come up with some new ideas, totally new guitars that still maintain the Fender vibe.

Guitars like the Jag-Stang, Cyclone, and Toronado were discontinued before they even got a chance to find their niche. Heck, if it wasn't for Teh Kurdtz, even the little Mustang probably would have faded into obscurity by now (feel free to argue this point, but I think it's true).

Where was that posted?

I agree with it.

There has been some heated threads about this on Shortscale as well.

Where was what posted? Do you mean previous debates about Fender designs?

I don't specifically remember, but it may have been when the Ronaldo/Moore Jazzy's came out, and I think there is also a thread about the Gibson Darkfire (if that's what it is called) where the subject came up as well.

The gist of it was that at least Gibson were TRYING to do something new and innovative, while Fender were content to keep on releasing tweaked versions of established names.

But the entire point seems to be one that I fire up about each time Fender decides to release a new 'series' of some guitar or another...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yup! If I was going to swap out all the electronics anyways, why not start with the base model? As far as I am concerned alderwood is alderwood and necks tend to vary mostly by radius, length, and fre

a demo of the blacktop jaguar

It's a sign of the financial times, no manufacturer can afford to spend the cash/time to make a finely crafted instrument anymore. The small companies that form the backbone of any country are being t

I think it's a good move by Fender for all the kids/guys/girls who want a humbucker Jazz/Jag but are not willing or can't afford it to buy a MIJ/CIJ/USA or a Classic Player Jazz/Jag, (CP's are still overpriced) and mod/route it for humbuckers etc.

I love all 4 of them. It wouldn't be hard if i had to choose getting eighter a: ''Sonic Youth signature Jazz of one of those new Blacktop Jazzy's. :lol: Of course the SY Jazzy's are made with better materials, but for the price tag i wouldn't have to think very long.

Now when is Gibson going to do this? :roll:

I just found this thread.

I really don't like these guitars, it's a problem I and others have been griping about for ages, the fact that Fender - as much as we love them - are just completely devoid of new ideas, and are content to just bastardize established models in order to move more units.

What was the last 'unique' design Fender came out with? The Cyclone? Toronado? I wish they would come up with some new ideas, totally new guitars that still maintain the Fender vibe.

Guitars like the Jag-Stang, Cyclone, and Toronado were discontinued before they even got a chance to find their niche. Heck, if it wasn't for Teh Kurdtz, even the little Mustang probably would have faded into obscurity by now (feel free to argue this point, but I think it's true).

Where was that posted?

I agree with it.

There has been some heated threads about this on Shortscale as well.

Where was what posted?

You said you found this thread. WHERE? Which forum?

^Harmony Central Forum.

one day i was looking at evilbay for cheap jazzys then stumbled into this...to further verify the validity(of such blacktop series), i googled and found these links(my first post on this thread) i checked on fender.com and it's still not available. it was first speculated that this was a hoax but later verified to be true...

...well economics & kfc strategies B)

Out of the whole lot I only like the Jazzmaster, but I doubt it's routed for rhythm circuit controls, if it were, I would not mind picking one up, doing a black on black Jazz, and putting a Rhythm Circuit in it since I use that quite a bit on a Jazzmaster.

The Jaguar is too much in Jagmaster territory for me, and I don't even bother with Strats or Teles off the rack because I can find the parts to build em' for much cheaper so easily.

I think it will be routed; assuming that it is exactly the same body as the Cp jazzmaster

the blacktop jazzy's not routed for the rhythm circuit controls/slider switch...that's the difference from the cp(aside from the bridge humbucker & simplified decal)...saw the body being sold separately on evilbay

in other news....the Blacktop Series's finally on the Fender site(Now Official)

Fender has a new section up on the Blacktops:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?series=Blacktop%84%A2&section=guitars

I don't understand the general conservatism in guitar culture. I mod most of my guitars anyway. Fender has just anticipated common mods and released $450, accessible guitars. If I lost all my guitars and only had $450 to buy a new one, any of the four would be just fine. If any of them came in Fiesta Red, I probably would have ordered one already.

if the tele had a single and a humbucker i would get one. The one i want is the vintage hot rod '52 re-issue with the seymour duncan mini-humbucker in the neck. This confuses me though, why would you want a telecaster with 2 humbuckers? It would totally not sound like a tele right? I know jim root and John 5 use them with hb's.

I would have put a single coil in the bridge and a hot pickup in the neck that way it would sound like a tele but with more tonal options. This telecater and the jazzmaster will sound like les pauls i would think. I have a les paul bfg and i hate it(it's sexy though, i posted pics of her yesterday). I guess i'll be waiting because i'm not spending $1700.00 on that 52.

It's a sign of the financial times, no manufacturer can afford to spend the cash/time to make a finely crafted instrument anymore. The small companies that form the backbone of any country are being taxed at every turn. Healh care insurance cost for employees is going up, more VAT's are in the works and of course the lack of confidence in the economy is forcing companies to cut corners and produce lower priced products just to entice a consumer who has to make tough financial decisions these days.

My 2 cents anyway....

Steve L.

Cypress, TX

• Like 1

It's a sign of the financial times, no manufacturer can afford to spend the cash/time to make a finely crafted instrument anymore. The small companies that form the backbone of any country are being taxed at every turn. Healh care insurance cost for employees is going up, more VAT's are in the works and of course the lack of confidence in the economy is forcing companies to cut corners and produce lower priced products just to entice a consumer who has to make tough financial decisions these days.

My 2 cents anyway....

Steve L.

Cypress, TX

Sounds accurate enough to me.

Of course, Fender have never been known for risky choices and trying new things...

I think they are ok and might pick one up. They are simplified versions for people who want a basic guitar. I have seen it noted many times in many places that the price doesn't make the guitar. Good players can make good and bad stuff sound good. Maybe Fender is just trying to be realistic knowing that with people not having much money, buing a guitar at all might be too much for the budget. having a budget line of some nice guitars could draw in people who wouldn't even try to get one because of cost.

The simplie and basic setup looks cool to me. I have guitars with seven or more sound settings and variations. Having one with just volume, tone, and what pickup(s) I want might be nice for a break.

wnsho

I think they are ok and might pick one up. They are simplified versions for people who want a basic guitar. I have seen it noted many times in many places that the price doesn't make the guitar. Good players can make good and bad stuff sound good. Maybe Fender is just trying to be realistic knowing that with people not having much money, buing a guitar at all might be too much for the budget. having a budget line of some nice guitars could draw in people who wouldn't even try to get one because of cost.

The simplie and basic setup looks cool to me. I have guitars with seven or more sound settings and variations. Having one with just volume, tone, and what pickup(s) I want might be nice for a break.

yeah, i agree with you - plus this is the dream guitar for the modders...a lot of alternative guitarist buy a jazzy and mod it anyway by changing the pickups or putting masking tapes on the rhythm controls(probably because its busted or to avoid using that 'thing') its also an s.o.p. to put hb on the bridge(the only difference in this case its because its a jazzy not a mustang)

• Like 1