Fender Blacktop Series

yeah, i agree with you - plus this is the dream guitar for the modders...a lot of alternative guitarist buy a jazzy and mod it anyway by changing the pickups or putting masking tapes on the rhythm controls(probably because its busted or to avoid using that 'thing') its also an s.o.p. to put hb on the bridge(the only difference in this case its because its a jazzy not a mustang)

Yup! If I was going to swap out all the electronics anyways, why not start with the base model? As far as I am concerned alderwood is alderwood and necks tend to vary mostly by radius, length, and frets. How much you paid for it generally doesn't seem to feel different from playing with $2,000-$3,000 guitars and $100 ones. It is about how the guitar feels to you and sounds to you. I think people look at the stuff that their favorite musicians play and think they have to have that guitar to emulate that sound. While that is somewhat true, it doesn't mean you can't use a entry strat or tele to perform songs originally performed on Les Pauls. Great players can make most anything sound good. Buy a guitar that sounds and feels right and fits your budget.

• Like 3
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yup! If I was going to swap out all the electronics anyways, why not start with the base model? As far as I am concerned alderwood is alderwood and necks tend to vary mostly by radius, length, and fre

a demo of the blacktop jaguar

It's a sign of the financial times, no manufacturer can afford to spend the cash/time to make a finely crafted instrument anymore. The small companies that form the backbone of any country are being t

I just got mine from MF today. I was really suprised how well it played right out of the box. The sunburst finish is pretty sweet, and the frets are smooth all the way down. The tuners are the same as the American series Strats and Teles(with "Fender" written on the back of them). The bridge is a like a modernized Jazzy/Jaguar style. They have one string size groove per saddle as opposed to the several small ones as the old ones have. Similar to the Mustang. I was pleasantly suprised by that. I dont think I will be in a rush to change it anytime soon. The knobs are all smooth and seem to be good quality. The pickups are also pretty damn good for a $450 guitar. I feel the neck p/u may be slighty hotter than my USA RI but still has a good Jazzy quality. The bridge humbucker is amazingly decent. I almost picked up a SD distortion for the bridge when i ordered the guitar because frankly i have never had a Fender stock humbucker hot enough for me. I am glad I didn't. I am not saying that it is a super hot or that ground breaking of a p/u, but it is a really nice sounding stock humbucker on a cheaper guitar. Reminds me of a SD JB minus a bit of clarity. I am sure there will be haters to my post, but this is all my opinion. I think if you have even a slight intrest it is worth your time to at least try one.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x318/boxofstrangers/9-21-10004.jpg

9-21-10004.jpg

• Like 1

I just got mine from MF today. I was really suprised how well it played right out of the box. The sunburst finish is pretty sweet, and the frets are smooth all the way down. The tuners are the same as the American series Strats and Teles(with "Fender" written on the back of them). The bridge is a like a modernized Jazzy/Jaguar style. They have one string size groove per saddle as opposed to the several small ones as the old ones have. Similar to the Mustang. I was pleasantly suprised by that. I dont think I will be in a rush to change it anytime soon. The knobs are all smooth and seem to be good quality. The pickups are also pretty damn good for a $450 guitar. I feel the neck p/u may be slighty hotter than my USA RI but still has a good Jazzy quality. The bridge humbucker is amazingly decent. I almost picked up a SD distortion for the bridge when i ordered the guitar because frankly i have never had a Fender stock humbucker hot enough for me. I am glad I didn't. I am not saying that it is a super hot or that ground breaking of a p/u, but it is a really nice sounding stock humbucker on a cheaper guitar. Reminds me of a SD JB minus a bit of clarity. I am sure there will be haters to my post, but this is all my opinion. I think if you have even a slight intrest it is worth your time to at least try one.

good for you mate! :cool:

9-21-10004.jpg

Nice. How do ya like it?

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty torn, to be honest. I've been wondering about a Jagmaster, seems cheap and easily modifiable. Can't afford the £600 or so for a classic Jaguar so thought about getting something more in my price range - then Fender drops these. To be honest, as soon as I compared the Jag and Jazz I knew which one I wanted...

The thing is, I feel if I were to buy a Jaguar or Jazzy then I'd want one with all the stuff on it. I'd like a good choice of colours and pickup variations...and the Blacktops, although affordable, aren't like the classics. Sure, who doesn't like sunburst? But when you could grab one in that dark green shade (forgot the name of it) with a matching headstock, tort pickguard and everything else, seems like no contest to me.

The demo's only probably do partial justice, but I'll have to see what happens. Might be another thing that Fender stops after a short period of time that'll be worth a lot for collectors in the future...

All the switching on the originals suck anyways. The rhythm circuit on both is dark like you turned your tone to 0, and the bass cut switch on the jag is useless.

They are a gadgets guitar for sure but the novelty wears of real quick then you gut it to have just 1 toggle switch and have a good guitar. Unless your a j mascis type trem user you dont need that either, hence, the BT Jaguar is a very cool Jaguar IMO and if I wanted another Jag I'd get it.

Ohhh man. We have a blacktop series Black Friday sale at my local Sam Ash....All guitar, Strat, Tele, Jaguar, and Jazzy ll $445.00....SUCH A GOOD DEAL!!!! Plus they all have humbuckers. I'm excited, not to mention if you spend $200 dollars there this Saturday you get a free steel string guitar and case. Might buy a new amp. Anyway, I like the Blacktop Series, just my opinion.