Sign in to follow this  
brandonwinmill

iphone i-rig

i searched for this topic and didn't see it,

i was at guitar center and they were saying how great the irig was for iphone, does anyone use the irig or the prs interface? i think peavey also makes one, i have a zoom c5.1 usb interface with a 12ax7 tube and i'm not crazy about the way it sounds through here and the latency is horrible, i've been amazed at the music and production apps for the iphone, i'm wondering what it's gonna sound like, the problem i have with it is i wanna record through my gear not modeling software, and the microphone on the phone is surprising, maybe we could start a thread for iphone or droid apps, i've tried a bunch and would be happy to post about ones i like and ones i didn't like

the software is unreal. The same type of software on my computer would cost thousands of dollars. The most i ever spent on an app is $19.99. I have some drum tracks that i let friends who drum hear and they were dumbfounded when i told them i made the track in 30 minutes on an iphone. I'm talking about musicians who have several thousands in pro tools setups and home studios. They could not believe it. I can upload some tracks somewhere if you'd like? There is an app called thumb jam that was designed by dude from dream theater (hate them) and it is unreal. I was listening to dark side of the moon and screwing with my phone at the same time and it was so real sounding my wife couldn't tell what was on the album and what was my phone. Maybe check out some youtube videos of thumb jam and beatmaker. I do not know how i lived before this phone.

I have an irig and I love it for practice but it is a little noisy for recording.

The thing that stopped me from getting it was that i couldn't run through my gear into the phone. I would have to use their modeling equipment. If i can't run my guitar through my ds-1 i don't want it. ha I'm going to try the one peavey puts out. It's ampkit link i believe. I'll let you know how it works. I do use the 4 track and the microphone is impressive.

ya..... if you can plug a guitar into it you can plug pedals into it. After all, it is the same jack

no #### huh, that makes sense. I'm a dummy sometimes. I would like to talk to someone who has some expertise in this subject. I was under the impression i would have to run through their software to be able to record. So how much of my real signal is unaffected by modeling software? I want to run exclusively through my gear and use the plug as only a recording interface. I don't want to mix down or anything, i want to be able to record my guitar playing through my equipment, nothing more. I'm going to just buy one, the peavey ilink or whatever is 29 bucks. I'm going to experiment.

I used Irig with peavey and some other modeling software on my iPod and it all worked fine. In addition if you use amplitube's 4-track you can turn off the amp modeling for that track in the software and record the straight signal from whatever you plug into the Irig. You can also make your own without impedance matching:

http://beaugatlin.blogspot.com/2010/09/make-your-own-irig-audio-interface-for.html

I tried this but it didn't work for me.

I got the peavey cable also and i'm thinking of building a database on guitar amps and effects available in the apple store. There is a bunch and not much info out there. There is some great apps i'm stumbling upon that would benefit guitarists. For example, there is an app called fxpedia and it lists information on most companies effects. There's another free one by carvin that you can calculate the total impedance of speakers you intend to connect to your amplifier. Knowing the total impedance will keep you from putting too large of a load on your amp. There's some others that you save effects and amp settings labeled for easy reference of tones. There is a tempo calculator that you set the bpm and the tempo and it gives you the delay time in ms. All very helpful stuff most don't know about. I'm thinking about a short review and basically just identifying what is out there.

so if you use an iphone or other device that has helpful apps for musicians maybe post it here. Eventually i'm thinking before people will buy a guitar app they will stop here and see what we said about it. I know you can read the reviews in itunes but they usually are all over the place.

Ok i tried the irig and ampkit and i put a big muff in front and it isn't a bad sound at all. I wasn't playing anything in particular i was trying to play something that belonged to the tone. This demo, if i can get it to work, was not about my guitar skills or lack there of, it was about allowing readers to hear what the sim sounds like with a guitar - big muff->iphone. I was turning the controls on the muff while i was playing. It didn't pick up all the harmonics or pinch harmonics but overall it's damn good for a 29 dollar cable and a free app. The palm mutes at times sound like a kill switch but besides all that i'm very impressed. I'm going to do a clean demo soon also. This is through my fender fat strat. Some of the bends and single notes sound a little artificial but i haven't played with it yet. I have used it for about 15 minutes and this clip is about 4 minutes of it so it's still new to me. It says i should be able to embed the player but it isn't working. Thanks

http://snd.sc/giAdC6