So who else is down for a blacktop Jazzy/jag?

These guitars look sweet! I've always quite fancied a Classic Player Jag; I had a Japanese regular Jag when I was a kid and the thing was awful for feedback and the bridge was total crap. Then I saw the Jaguar Special with the Adjust-omatic bridge and anchored tailpiece and twin HB - loved that... except I'm not a fan of the all black and chrome finish. I wanted one in vintage white or sunburst.

These new bad boys look awesome though. Exactly what a player really wants from a Jaguar. I'm sad about the loss of the chrome on the bass horn (and treble chrome for that matter) as I really loved the rotary volume dials, but this one looks a lot more playable. I'm just a bit annoyed that ot only comes in hardcore metal-head black or look-at-me-I'm-in-a-'90s-Britrock-band silver.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two people here already talking about swapping the bridge pickup...

Is word out ALREADY that the pickup sucks???

It sounds very middy. Being relatively new to guitars, I don't know what a Jazzmaster is "supposed" to sound like, but I'm not a real fan of the way the humbucker sounds. I mainly use the neck pickup or combo setting. I do plan on switching it out in the future.

I'm excited about it. They're definatley an affordable line from what I hear. I'm not sure how it is across the world, but money in America is through the ####ter. If it tells you anything about the situation, my dad is working 7 days a week to pay the bills, and he works for the government with 33 years of seniority there. Things suck, so this cheaper line will do for me, really a pickup switch and maybe a bridge/Trem swap wont really kill me in prices so this is a line I'm looking forward to purchasing from.

Yeah, I bought the Blacktop because it's the only Jazzmaster I can afford at the moment. I played a J. Mascis Signature and loved it but couldn't afford it even at the used price. Aside from the humbucker and lack of locking tremolo, I really like it compared to the CV Tele I used to have. It stays in tune even with use of the tremolo unless you do dive bombs and it's comfortable to play. If you wait a little longer, I wouldn't be surprised to see used ones start popping up and you could save some money there.

Yeah, I bought the Blacktop because it's the only Jazzmaster I can afford at the moment. I played a J. Mascis Signature and loved it but couldn't afford it even at the used price. Aside from the humbucker and lack of locking tremolo, I really like it compared to the CV Tele I used to have. It stays in tune even with use of the tremolo unless you do dive bombs and it's comfortable to play. If you wait a little longer, I wouldn't be surprised to see used ones start popping up and you could save some money there.

Right, that's what I'm really waiting for, cause for the moment I'm getting a Squier Duo Sonic, which will be my 2nd guitar, Squier, and guitar to flip lefty to save money, but I'd really like a Fender Jag/Jazz, either of the 2, and I still cant afford it at the low price its at now. Though I'm happy to get any new guitar, since I've had a Squier Strat for 7 years. Change at this point is nice, and I'm modding the Duo with a Bigsby Trem and a Mustang Bridge. Ok, woah I've gona off topic. Anyway, I'm hoping to see them in Pawn shops soon, or on Ebay, Craigslist, etc.

I hear fender prices in Australia are set to drop (after they went up a few hundred a few years back)! because FMICAU (fender musical instruments corporation australia) has too much of a mark up and all the stores are chucking spastics about it.

That said, given the prices of guitars here, the BT series is still good value.

• Like 1

Ummm, he didn't ONLY play surf.

I for one like a demo that shows a wide range of sounds, and these guys always deliver on that.

I like the use of Lounge Act. It has a bit more flair than just playing Pipeline for the 10,000th time.

I'm very hard to please so don't mind me...but they still have tons more balls than a vintage model. Same as the Jaguar. I have a self humbuckered Jaguar but I kinda wouldn't mind the BT one as its cheap and gutsy and its plain jane look appeals to me, I don't like fancy guitars with lots of switches anymore. I think these are great for a wide range of people who aren't loaded and that have always wanted either a Jag or JM but couldn't afford one.

IMO the Jaguar will always beat the Jazzmaster for pure power (scale and small routing is responsible for that).

They're great guitars and anyone that don't like them is a traditionalist (nee-reactionary) snob! :mrgreen:

...anyone who already has one maybe could tell us if the body has the same cavities as the standard jazzmaster?

The jazzmaster is the same minus the rhythm circuit.

The jaguars routing is slightly different to accomodate the toggle but still very small:

fender%20jaguar-189151904395569250.jpg

This is how routing should be, minimalist and only whats absolutely required...unlike the jazzmasters big ass route from jack to toggle and excess around both pups.

• 4 weeks later...

I discovered this board/forum shortly after I bought my 2010 Blacktop Jaguar on (appropriately) Black Friday. The quality is frickin' unbelievable for the money. I liked it so much I had to have the Blacktop Jazzmaster too... so here you go...

156867_1761614406920_1435866490_31992038_8179128_n.jpg

These are great guitars. I think the Jaguar does hard rock really, really well, but it could cover anything. The Jazzmaster has a greater tonal range and is - surprisingly, for a Fender - one of the fastest necks I've played. Just sweet and scary fast...

• Like 2