So who else is down for a blacktop Jazzy/jag?

They need to start making some of these for lefties, still paying 1400 dollars for a CIJ Jazzy/Jag.

Ouch. It wouldn't seem that big of a deal to manufacture a few lefty bodies.

My 10 year old son is a lefty, he eats and writes left but throws right. More ambi than lefty in some ways. If he learns to play guitar i'm going to insist on doing it right handed - Michael Angelo Batio is left handed but learned to play guitar right handed. It actually is better for your brain to learn how to do things with your "weak" hand. I would think that having your left hand doing the fretting would make, as a lefty, hammer-ons and pull-offs a lot easier to do than they are for me.

• 5 weeks later...

The body looks like the classic player in that the trem is closer to the bridge, increasing the break angle & making the bridge more stable.

I suspect that they are the excess & lower grade classic player bodies with slightly different routs for the pups. Re-marketed as a black top so as to not piss off the people who spent all that money on the classic player series. A big inprovement for some people would be the bullet truss rod. The only Jazzmasters to have these. Saves taking the neck off to adjust. CTS pots, switchcraft Jack & switch would be a good start to any sound improvement. Going beyond that would probably be over-capitalising, ie Mastery Bridges, Lolar/Fralin/SD/Novac. If you don,t like the stock pick-ups, don,t buy it. Try & find a good second hand japanese model, they have some great features like bindings & block inlays. Definately the value for money choice, if you are on a tight budget. If not, splash on the AVRI. They Rule.

• 3 weeks later...

My 10 year old son is a lefty, he eats and writes left but throws right. More ambi than lefty in some ways. If he learns to play guitar i'm going to insist on doing it right handed - Michael Angelo Batio is left handed but learned to play guitar right handed. It actually is better for your brain to learn how to do things with your "weak" hand. I would think that having your left hand doing the fretting would make, as a lefty, hammer-ons and pull-offs a lot easier to do than they are for me.

When I originally showed interest in playing guitar, I was "playing" left handed. I write and throw right handed, but play golf, hockey, and hit a baseball left handed. In the long run, it'll probably benefit him more if he learns to play right handed. One, the guitars will be cheaper, and two, as you said, it makes fretting things a bit easier.

• 1 month later...

Promised I wouldn't buy another guitar for Lent and it is killing me. I want to pick up a Jazzmaster and it is looking like the BT one will be the winner since I have a Jaguar already. Thinking of tossing a tone boost in it like Jag's have. One of the features I really like on a Jaguar. I don't use the horn electronics much on my Jaguar. (I do think they are cool though.) So it would be sort of like a JagJazzStein. :)