How much do you think is a reasonable price for a used Jaguar?

hey guys, i know about Ishibashi's pricing(the shipping charge sucks though) and the CIJ jag's price 5-8 yrs. ago. I was just asking for what do you(sujectively) think should be its 'fair' price---at the present time...and the reason why it should be on that price. i also got my first jag for roughly $500 way back. today, most evilbay bidders have raised their bars. thanks

fair price? How much would you sell your fav guitar? That's a very difficult question.

price for a used guitar has to do with condition, upgrades, rarity, type of wood and maybe how long the seller is willing to wait for it to sell or even the reason why the guitar's being sold.

500 euros for a playable condition jag is fair but 5000 euros for a rare jag is fair also.

I think jag prices are kept at low cost only cause there's not so much demand for them.

• 3 weeks later...

New US Jags here in OZ are AU$2,600 give or take. Sunburst is always a little more.

After a while you get used to paying loads for guitars in Oz, and it doesn't bother me anymore as I buy everything else, 'cept amps too, from the USA. Fender doesn't allow its US dealers to send outside N.America anymore so that messed that up.

Japanese Jags are around AU$1,300 give or take.

You need to know the good stores to get them at the cheaper end of the scale or you can pay more.

Secondhand US jags hold their price really well here and depending on condition etc the price isnt extremely cheaper than new AV.

You can get secondhand Japanese jags for under a AUgrand if you look hard enough.

• Like 1

My 1st guitar was a 64' Jaguar bought in 1987 from a flea market for $300-$400! My parents bought it as a grammar school grad present. That thing was like a "new old stock" condition. I'd kill to have it today. It was mint. Nice sunburst that literally looked like it was bought, looked at, and kept in it's case for 23yrs.

I took lessons with it in and my stupid butt traded it in on a Custom Strat in 89'. Obviously now I could kill myself for having parted with it but at the time Strats were it and I had never had one of course. I never considered the investment (being 15-16yo) and I didn't know it would regain a huge popularity 3 years later.

I had 2 other chances to buy 2 different vintage Jags in early 91' at a local vintage instrument shop... both 65's, both Sunburst, one with a bound neck. Both were under $800, one was in great condition and the other basically mint aside from heavy strumming wear... the body itself was perfect, hardware like new. It would easily go for $3500 today.

Now I'd love to have a vintage but I can't bring myself to pay $3000 for something I passed up for $700 or so. It's like a nightmare knowing I could've had that one from 87' which I think could've fetched $4k today. Not a rare color, obviously, but it was like NOS even after I used it for two years.

My Jap 62' reissue was around $400 back in 96'.

guys i was asking on your 'fair' price opinion. im not asking for the current price or market value or the history of it because im aware of such stuff. im just asking for what you think should be the fair price as of today. fyi i already have a jaguar and im putting together a partscaster hence im curious about the 'fair' price. thanks :-cool

• 2 weeks later...

Fair price, maybe $300-$500, its only as expensive as it is because of the 90's popularity of grunge, so I doubt you'll find any lower than that. But I heard back in the 70's-early 80's you could buy 'em like $200-$300 a crack. Wouldn't it be nice to time travel?

that's the reason the punks buy them in pawnshops. thanks to sonic youth's resourcefulness. same story as the Squier Vista guitars and their present day ahem - 'value'...but if you're time travelling you probly end up buying flying v's and japanese lawsuit guitars

• Like 1