New Jagstang Help

Hello, new to the forum.

I am about to purchase an original release 1995 Fiesta Red JS.

It's mint and all original, completely stock.

My question is would it be wise to send to my guitar dude to swap out

the humbucker, pots, and get Spraque Orange Drop Caps??

I have the Kurt Cobain Journals with Kurt's blueprints and designs for the JS.

His final design has captions saying "humbucker (preferably a '59 Les Paul)"

I have on hand a Gibson '57 Classic and a Gibson '57 Classic PLUS (the overwound one).

My second question is would this be a wise choice or a mistake and which route should

I take for the best sound and closest to Kurt's desires for this guitar?

Feel free to be completely blunt and honest about the '57 Classic in the bridge slot

and let me know if it will sound like complete $#!%.

Thanks.

yes, change the pups the stock ones are rubish, well do you want your guitar to breakup faster? if so use the overwound one. As for changing out the pots caps etc, you may as well but it won't make a huge difference.

stuff kurtdz, make your own choice.

I disagree, changing the pots do make a huge difference! Buy quality pots from RS electronics or something like that.

Okay, thank you for the information about the pots and I am familiar with RS Electronics, someone else

also directed me their for guitar electronics. As far as the humbucker goes though, I have a Gibson '57 Classic

PLUS and a regular Gibson '57 Classic. Which would be a better choice for the bridge slot? Or should I steer away

completely from the Gibson pickups and just pickup an alternative pickup. C'mon, you guys are the JS experts :-D

Okay, thank you for the information about the pots and I am familiar with RS Electronics, someone else

also directed me their for guitar electronics. As far as the humbucker goes though, I have a Gibson '57 Classic

PLUS and a regular Gibson '57 Classic. Which would be a better choice for the bridge slot? Or should I steer away

completely from the Gibson pickups and just pickup an alternative pickup. C'mon, you guys are the JS experts :-D

I have a Gibson `57 Classic, but in a Gibson guitar, and it sounds great. The Classic Plus is a little bit hotter, and probably the best choice of the two if you are after Kurst sound. You get a bit more output, and therefore also a bit more drive, both from overdrive pedals and amps. But they are basically the same pickup, but the Plus is a bit hotter.

If you have both you could just try them both and see wich one you like better.

I have a Gibson `57 Classic, but in a Gibson guitar, and it sounds great. The Classic Plus is a little bit hotter, and probably the best choice of the two if you are after Kurst sound. You get a bit more output, and therefore also a bit more drive, both from overdrive pedals and amps. But they are basically the same pickup, but the Plus is a bit hotter.

If you have both you could just try them both and see wich one you like better.

Thanks a bunch for the info, I also have a stock Epiphone Dot Studio though that I have a new bridge, tailpiece, and Grover Tuners for. I'm thinking I should probably change both of those stock humbuckers and use both of the Gibson 57's in that guitar and find a new Humbucker for my JS and maybe a vintage Jaguar single coil for the neck. Any suggestions on what other humbucker to grab for the bridge of my JS?

Thanks a bunch for the info, I also have a stock Epiphone Dot Studio though that I have a new bridge, tailpiece, and Grover Tuners for. I'm thinking I should probably change both of those stock humbuckers and use both of the Gibson 57's in that guitar and find a new Humbucker for my JS and maybe a vintage Jaguar single coil for the neck. Any suggestions on what other humbucker to grab for the bridge of my JS?

It sounds like a good idea to put the Gibsons in the Epiphone!

Kurt used the Seymour Duncan JB alot, in most of his Mustangs, eventually the Jaguar, and also his Jag-Stang, if im not mistaking. You could try that, its a pretty hot pickup. Or you could try a Dimarzio Super Distortion wich Kurt first had in his Jaguar. When i had a Jag-stang a couple of years ago, i had a Super Distortion in the bridge, and it rocked!

Concerning the neck pickup: that didnt sound bad at all in my jag-stang, very strat-like. But that depends on what you like.

• Like 1

It sounds like a good idea to put the Gibsons in the Epiphone!

Kurt used the Seymour Duncan JB alot, in most of his Mustangs, eventually the Jaguar, and also his Jag-Stang, if im not mistaking. You could try that, its a pretty hot pickup. Or you could try a Dimarzio Super Distortion wich Kurt first had in his Jaguar. When i had a Jag-stang a couple of years ago, i had a Super Distortion in the bridge, and it rocked!

Concerning the neck pickup: that didnt sound bad at all in my jag-stang, very strat-like. But that depends on what you like.

Thanks a lot for your replies Stian and you have been a lot of help since I don't have my Jag-Stang in hand until Saturday I have no idea what the pickups sound like at all, I've never played one but I know this is an all original 1996 Fiesta Red in mint condition and it comes with a hardshell case and the guy lowered his asking price to $600 so I'm going to offer him $500 cash to grab it at a good price, if indeed it is in mint condition. I will look into both the Dimarzio Super Dist and the Seymour Duncan JB. Thanks for all of your help, this site rocks.