Sign in to follow this  
HNB

Custom Telecaster Build

Body is in the mail coming. I was thinking if having a tele scale neck with a Jaguar headstock from Warmoth. I like the big paddle shape more than the skinny tele one. Other option is a Kramer hockey stick shape. Not sure yet. I will have to think on it. A standard neck is also an option.

Anyone's advice on a neck like this or a Warmoth one? The Warmoth one's are quite a bit more expensive, but I don't want low quality either.

Pickup choices at the moment are:

Neck: DiMarzio Paf Joe

Bridge: DiMarzio X2N (I have a Gotech tele bridge with a humbucker hole. Just need to open the bridge space for it.)

Pickguard will likely be black. I am thinking I will paint a black metal control plate cherry red and put black tele knobs on it. I will probably use a TBX tone pot and a 500k volume pot. Likely will have a normal three way switch. Neck plate I ordered is here. Can guess my color theme. Pics will come as progress continues.

I think the jaguar headstock is a good addition--I personally like it better than the tele one.

I like the big paddle look more than the skinny tele one.

The body:

5170772044_0528a7fc79.jpg

Warmoth Black/Red/Black Pickguard with Humbucker route: (Film still on.)

5170773496_0bb3bd9018.jpg

Gotoh Humbucker Telecaster Bridge:

5170774398_a389333d70.jpg

If those pics don't work, the gallery is HERE.

The tele plate is standard chrome. I got black metal tele knobs. Thinking about getting Stewmac's five-way switch that lets you split humbuckers for additional tones. Picked up a Paf Joe for the neck and a X2N for the bridge. Should sound like a monster.

• Like 1

Oh think I am going with the Warmoth neck after all to avoid any tone or construction issues.

Oh think I am going with the Warmoth neck after all to avoid any tone or construction issues.

you could get one of their baritone conversion necks that'd be pretty cool if you ask me.

PS looks pretty freaking beast thus far

• Like 1

looks pretty freaking beast thus far

ARF!

i can always rely on you to lighten up this place with a 'freakin' post, Glenn. +1

@ HNB, don't go for the hockey stick HS. It just won't suit the body at all. Good luck with your project though.

ARF!

i can always rely on you to lighten up this place with a 'freakin' post, Glenn. +1

@ HNB, don't go for the hockey stick HS. It just won't suit the body at all. Good luck with your project though.

Thanks! It has been awhile since I updated pictures. I do have the pickups in and the switches in. I added an electrostatic jack to keep it from falling out. I am mostly waiting on the neck from warmoth. Then off to Bellevue to get the bone nut put in. I ended up with a normal tele style neck because I didn't want to have a curved neck in my square shaped pocket.

One thing I notice is there is a lot of background noise with it at the moment. No neck or strings, but when I crank the volume to check the switch settings I get quite a bit of static/electrical noise. Not sure if it is because I have a 500k volume pot or if I have a grounding issue. I am having the person installing my neck check my wiring. I haven't had a problem with the other two or three guitars I have wired, so I am kind of at a loss. I also think I need to run a ground to the tele bridge. I notice if I touch the control plate or bridge, some of the static goes away. Do people usually need to ground the control plate metal as well? I know grounding the bridge is common.

Edit: Here is a pic.

DSC08729

Thanks! It has been awhile since I updated pictures. I do have the pickups in and the switches in. I added an electrostatic jack to keep it from falling out. I am mostly waiting on the neck from warmoth. Then off to Bellevue to get the bone nut put in. I ended up with a normal tele style neck because I didn't want to have a curved neck in my square shaped pocket.

One thing I notice is there is a lot of background noise with it at the moment. No neck or strings, but when I crank the volume to check the switch settings I get quite a bit of static/electrical noise. Not sure if it is because I have a 500k volume pot or if I have a grounding issue. I am having the person installing my neck check my wiring. I haven't had a problem with the other two or three guitars I have wired, so I am kind of at a loss. I also think I need to run a ground to the tele bridge. I notice if I touch the control plate or bridge, some of the static goes away. Do people usually need to ground the control plate metal as well? I know grounding the bridge is common.

Edit: Here is a pic.

DSC08729

every metal piece should be grounded

definately a sexy tele

Neck is on. Neckplate turned out sweet. :)

5452165279_08277ab73c.jpg

DSC09007 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5452776314_98f94519f7.jpg

DSC09008 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

congrats man!!! full black body, maple neck ....excellent choice!!!

I just love that pinup on neck plate ....so sexy.... is it waterslide?

I would suggest black covers for those hbuckers.

congrats man!!! full black body, maple neck ....excellent choice!!!

I just love that pinup on neck plate ....so sexy.... is it waterslide?

I would suggest black covers for those hbuckers.

The neck plate is from a seller on ebay who does laser etching so it is part of the metal. Could have been from this seller. I thought about black for the pickups but I didn't want them to get lost in all the other black. I thought white would be to much contrast, so I did the cream as an in-between. I suppose I could always add black covers later if I got the urge. :)

Guitar is at Mike Lull's to get tuners installed and a bone nut. Mike is also shielding my guitar and doing a setup and intonation for me. Next time I see it, it will be playable!

Almost done! Just needs the decals. Here it is with strings, tuned, new bone nut, and all shielded!

5472142513_ce43ba5d05.jpg

DSC09040 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5472142211_a2a587c98f.jpg

DSC09039 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5472733568_34f7197ec8.jpg

DSC09038 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5472145541_986425e721.jpg

DSC09053 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5472736168_8e7a7724f5.jpg

DSC09049 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

black dome knobs? so cool!!!

I call this the Darth Vader tele....

black dome knobs? so cool!!!

I call this the Darth Vader tele....

That's cool. :) It is pretty much a bringer of doom. My headstock will say Widow off of a black widow because of the red and black color scheme, but Vader is pretty sweet too. :D