What in your opinion is the best effects pedal on the market?

I like the digitech whammy and thats gonna be a present from me to me on christmas (unless i get sidetracked to buy something else :)

edit: but it is all joking aside a very nice pedal

If my whammy would turn off i would be a lot happier. As if you can play with it on all the time. My wife brought it back and they gave her a different power supply. She went again and said it won't turn off. They told her to have me unplug when not in use. huh? do what? Ok, so you want me to play up until i need it (which is rarely), stop mid-song put the amp on stand-by re-route a few things to have it in the chain, pick up where i left off, play the 13 second part which requires the whammy, stop again and pull it out the chain.... you understand. Why did i waste your time, what a dummy i am, why didn't i think of that? urghh

Seriously, they add color like few other pedals. I am a fan of how a properly used whammy can build and break an enormous amount of tension. They almost make me hold my breath because used improperly it's a total disaster. It would be like playing an entire show with an ebow. I think everyone should have one. How each uses it is another whole issue.

I have been experimenting with the morpheus droptune. It is also a strange effect. The only thing weird is through my vox ac-4 it sounds like i have legitimately tuned down 3 steps. Through the mesa, different story. It sounds artificial, is that the word? It sounds polyphonic? I know it says polyphonic on the box, but thats a bad sound to me. I may be once again using words incorrect.

Would this be a good thread to try again at humor? I was gonna say ds-1 all the way! ftw :P

I still would like a rat. A real vintage rat from the 80's like dax uses. I'm scared to buy one on ebay because i think that lm308 or whatever chip is the key and if it's been taken out i'll be pissed.

This is a good question, i look forward to hearing some answers. I would go with that meas v-twin pedal/preamp.

I like the digitech whammy and thats gonna be a present from me to me on christmas (unless i get sidetracked to buy something else :)

edit: but it is all joking aside a very nice pedal

Unless you're talking about a multi-effects pedal, I don't see how anyone can say there is one single effects pedal that's "the best".

If my whammy would turn off i would be a lot happier. As if you can play with it on all the time. My wife brought it back and they gave her a different power supply. She went again and said it won't turn off. They told her to have me unplug when not in use. huh? do what? Ok, so you want me to play up until i need it (which is rarely), stop mid-song put the amp on stand-by re-route a few things to have it in the chain, pick up where i left off, play the 13 second part which requires the whammy, stop again and pull it out the chain.... you understand. Why did i waste your time, what a dummy i am, why didn't i think of that? urghh

Seriously, they add color like few other pedals. I am a fan of how a properly used whammy can build and break an enormous amount of tension. They almost make me hold my breath because used improperly it's a total disaster. It would be like playing an entire show with an ebow. I think everyone should have one. How each uses it is another whole issue.

I have been experimenting with the morpheus droptune. It is also a strange effect. The only thing weird is through my vox ac-4 it sounds like i have legitimately tuned down 3 steps. Through the mesa, different story. It sounds artificial, is that the word? It sounds polyphonic? I know it says polyphonic on the box, but thats a bad sound to me. I may be once again using words incorrect.

Would this be a good thread to try again at humor? I was gonna say ds-1 all the way! ftw :P

I still would like a rat. A real vintage rat from the 80's like dax uses. I'm scared to buy one on ebay because i think that lm308 or whatever chip is the key and if it's been taken out i'll be pissed.

This is a good question, i look forward to hearing some answers. I would go with that meas v-twin pedal/preamp.

you are definitely misusing the word polyphonic greatly. Polyphonic doesn't really apply to the sound or tone of something at all, rather it refers to the ability to use multiple notes and have them all sound distinct.....

I very much agree about your comments on the whammy as a whole though...

i'll open the thread to a more broad idea: whats your favorite pedal? And why?

I'd say my Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzzface simply because it's the only pedal that's lasted in my rig for over 2 years now........ the rest of it's all come and gone as I've gone through various phases, although my Boss GE-7 appears to be here to stay........ but basically I likethe fuzzy goodness you get from it......

it's still a very broad question though

Unless you're talking about a multi-effects pedal, I don't see how anyone can say there is one single effects pedal that's "the best".

I'm thinking this question is a full rig question. Certain things sound different with certain other variables. Especially if you are running a processor through the front of a tube amp instead of through loop. I had a boss me-20 that i gave away a week ago and it sounded great on my little solid state amp but it sounded like garbage through the front or the loop with the mesa. It was decent through the vox. My tattoo artist doesn't charge me and he comes to my shop and do them for me after hours and his kids are musicians. They like to come because i bring my les paul or whatever they want and let them play at small venue volume through my subway rocket. They were saving money for one effect at a time and i was thinking i could trade this in for about 90 bucks or make these dudes week. They love it.

See what i'm getting at? Multi-effects units are great when you begin and you aren't playing through expensive equipment. Great amps don't lie. It's all there, every subtle detail will become apparent. I'm not talking about rack mounted stuff like eleven rack or g-systems. The boss multi and i still have a crazy tube zoom usb thing, those are good at lots of things, but they aren't holy grail at anything. I hope this comes out right. I think it's common knowledge that only a few effects do lots of things good. (i.e. modulation and pitch shift and overdrive etc.) For example the pog is IMO best octave shifter, 12 string emulaor, hammond organ sound, thing out there. There is a newer boss multi-unit that pitch shifts, which alone is worth the money of the unit, but you can't expect to get better pog sounds through it or even whammy sounds. You will be able to shift the pitch of the note up or down _ number of steps, and get a wah and distortion and blah blah. Will the tape echo sound on a multi sound like fulltone real tube tape echo machine? hell no, but it isn't 12 hundred dollars for one effect. Fulltone is a dick anyways.

Does this make sense? Maybe someone can reword what i'm trying to say without using a thousand words.

also i said expensive amp, i meant boutique, clean, top of the line. Expensive doesn't make it good. My boss me-20 sounded terrible through a good amp, there that's better. Too many variable's involved in tone, but i am curious for some answers.

you are definitely misusing the word polyphonic greatly. Polyphonic doesn't really apply to the sound or tone of something at all, rather it refers to the ability to use multiple notes and have them all sound distinct.....

I very much agree about your comments on the whammy as a whole though...

Sorry, i missed this post. How would you describe what i am attempting to say. The droptune is held in very high regard lately from what i have read. I wish you could come over and hear how weird it sounds at times. Are you far from louisiana? ha

it's like a weird old style ringtone where you got a popular song but it wasn't the real songs, like the melody was there but it sounded like an old keyboard. Damnitt, was that polyphonic ring tones? Artificial in a bad way. Crap. No good at describing noise.

With some gain or a big muff in front and some thickness it isn't as apparent. I like playing three steps down and the strings feel right and i don't have to tune. If you go too far down it sounds horrible. You can get there with a whammy where it get's fake sounding. Chords sound good on the droptune also if you are between half step and 1 and a half step down. i shouldn't be complaining it's a great effect, i shouldn't be playing 4 steps down clean anyways, just experimenting.

I am still reading how you described polyphonic. Thank you. I didn't know that is what that meant.

Can you imagine if you couldn't turn off your whammy? fricking useless. I jumped on it (240 lbs.) threw it, kicked it, threw it some more. They told my wife it works fine. I can't find the receipt, she got it for me a few valentines days ago. 2 yrs i think. They kept it a while and said it works you just have to unplug it to turn it off. Wow thanks.

Most important pedal would be boss tuner. The white one tu-2 i think. I mentioned i went see a concert saturday night and i was on stage basically and i saw every ones gear. The openers and then dax and julian. Every single one of them had that pedal. The first band was great. It was a jam band with a guy named dege legg or brother dege he is known as. Bad ass slide player. One of the best slide players alive and good friends with sonny landreth (same producer). They had 3 guitars, bass, violin, drums. All of them had that pedal. I was like wow i've seen 6 different guitarists tonight and they all use same tuner. So that would be most important.

My favorite that i have would be wow, this is hard..i wanna think about it. I'll get back to you on this one.

I want that mesa v twin.

Boss D-1 :lol: Not.

Oh no they got to you!! They have corrupted another young mind and brainwashed you to hate the ds-1! :-P

Ds-1 is a great pedal. Different strokes for different folks. It's cool if most hate it, i find it versatile. It sounds ok to my ears with any setup. I use it more as a boost than the actual thing generating the core of the tone. If that makes sense. I don't tone shape with it, i use it to just kinda change it. I like the way mutes sound with it. I know i am alone with this one but that's what keeps it interesting. It has never broken on me and it is cheap. I can buy one for less than a tank of gas. I am a damn loner! Well, unless you count frusciante, kurt, kim deal, steve vai, satriani, and me. Seriously, it clips similar to a rat and it is very easy to use.<---I sound like a commercial

Poor man's rat! I want a rat also. All these years and i never even had one to trade for drugs and then regret it blah

I'm getting a rat.

I'm thinking this question is a full rig question. Certain things sound different with certain other variables. Especially if you are running a processor through the front of a tube amp instead of through loop. I had a boss me-20 that i gave away a week ago and it sounded great on my little solid state amp but it sounded like garbage through the front or the loop with the mesa. It was decent through the vox. My tattoo artist doesn't charge me and he comes to my shop and do them for me after hours and his kids are musicians. They like to come because i bring my les paul or whatever they want and let them play at small venue volume through my subway rocket. They were saving money for one effect at a time and i was thinking i could trade this in for about 90 bucks or make these dudes week. They love it.

See what i'm getting at? Multi-effects units are great when you begin and you aren't playing through expensive equipment. Great amps don't lie. It's all there, every subtle detail will become apparent. I'm not talking about rack mounted stuff like eleven rack or g-systems. The boss multi and i still have a crazy tube zoom usb thing, those are good at lots of things, but they aren't holy grail at anything. I hope this comes out right. I think it's common knowledge that only a few effects do lots of things good. (i.e. modulation and pitch shift and overdrive etc.) For example the pog is IMO best octave shifter, 12 string emulaor, hammond organ sound, thing out there. There is a newer boss multi-unit that pitch shifts, which alone is worth the money of the unit, but you can't expect to get better pog sounds through it or even whammy sounds. You will be able to shift the pitch of the note up or down _ number of steps, and get a wah and distortion and blah blah. Will the tape echo sound on a multi sound like fulltone real tube tape echo machine? hell no, but it isn't 12 hundred dollars for one effect. Fulltone is a dick anyways.

Does this make sense? Maybe someone can reword what i'm trying to say without using a thousand words.

also i said expensive amp, i meant boutique, clean, top of the line. Expensive doesn't make it good. My boss me-20 sounded terrible through a good amp, there that's better. Too many variable's involved in tone, but i am curious for some answers.

I think the reworded question from the OP doesn't make a lot of sense (What's your favorite pedal?) unless he's restricting the choices solely to multi-effects pedals. I don't have any multi-effects pedals and don't have one favorite pedal because each pedal on my pedalboard serves a unique function (dirt, delay, chorus, phase, reverb).

Oh no they got to you!! They have corrupted another young mind and brainwashed you to hate the ds-1! :-P

Ds-1 is a great pedal. Different strokes for different folks. It's cool if most hate it, i find it versatile. It sounds ok to my ears with any setup. I use it more as a boost than the actual thing generating the core of the tone. If that makes sense. I don't tone shape with it, i use it to just kinda change it. I like the way mutes sound with it. I know i am alone with this one but that's what keeps it interesting. It has never broken on me and it is cheap. I can buy one for less than a tank of gas. I am a damn loner! Well, unless you count frusciante, kurt, kim deal, steve vai, satriani, and me. Seriously, it clips similar to a rat and it is very easy to use.<---I sound like a commercial

Poor man's rat! I want a rat also. All these years and i never even had one to trade for drugs and then regret it blah

I'm getting a rat.

I have one, the only reason I hate them is that the damn thing broke withing 2 weeks!

My two favorite pedals are the Xotic AC Booster and the Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet.

The Fulldrive has a great overdrive tone, and the Xotic is an excellent boost, wich also can work as an overdrive pedal, depending on the amp.

oh! fulldrive is a monster. You are being humble. That thing is a god damn monster. Mr. Fuller is mean. I read a email he wrote this kid and it blew my mind. This kid was having trouble with a pedal and he was like, listen ####, i'm #### busy got it? I'm not going to stop working on what i'm doing to answer your #### question and fix your pedal. I'll fix it when i fix it. Quit #### emailing me. I swear if that letter was real and they all said it was and it wasn't the first he's written like that, i'll never buy one. Problem is they are animals. I want one of each of his pedals, but you can't talk to customers like that. I was in shock when i read it. It's on another forum and they said they checked into it and it was legit, that is who he is.

I thought about my favorite pedal last night. My mesa is a tone machine. I can dial in so many different styles of tone that i don't really need any pedals but one. I use them because i like to try different sounds, and i have been on this manipulating feedback kick lately so i have been trying different guitars and different pickups with pedals and seeing how they feedback and capturing it.

drum roll please

My favorite box is Boss FDR-1 - Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Guitar Pedal. One thing my mesa does not have is reverb. Aside from the reverb i love the boost on this pedal also. It really makes my vox sound like a 65 on the 1 watt setting dimed. I turn the reverb all the way down and the tremolo all the way down and use the gain and level controls to slightly change the character of the vox into more of a overdriven fender, just a 1 watt fender. ha

My vox and my mesa don't have reverb and even though i'm not a big reverb fan, a touch here or there accents a tone nicely. I'm gonna give some details in case people aren't familiar with it. It has a tap tempo which i enjoy fiddling with. With the tap tempo i find it versatile. It can be used as a boost like i use the ds-1. It can be used to push an amp using the gain and getting a more "broken up" sound at a lower volume. I use it as a little eq because it has bass and treble. So if i want a little bassier sound or vice versa i can engage the pedal and with most everything turned down it just changes some freq's so i still have the same volume and just the tone is a hair different.(i hope i'm wording this right). One more secret use that i'm the only one i know of that has done this. I use the tap tempo as a metronome. The light blinks with the tempo you tapped and if it is correct you hit switch and it's on, i like to watch it blink. I use it because i have bad timing, i speed up and slow down too much. I use this pedal in a bunch of ways, that's why i picked it.

I don't understand what you mean by the op reworded question thing plaidbeer? I was under the impression he wanted to know if you could only take one with you what would it be and why? or What are you after as far as the perfect, best, coolest pedal? It's an opinion question so theres no wrong answer, it has increased the chatter so i think it was well done. Maybe you could put which ones you like even if it's more than one. Your favorite phaser is _ and drive is__ and so on. I, personally, like to read what everyone else is using and why. As you can see i talk alot and i am a fan of communication, that is why i write songs. Throw some of your favorites up here man and let's hear why.

Wow Foxy, that looks complicated. Line 6 has always rung a bad chord in my mind and i can't remember why. Now i don't like them for no good reason. I may have bought something years ago when modeling was beginning and didn't like it. That looks like one stop shopping. Expression pedal add on? It looks like almost 4 channels or sound options with eq for each? I'm going to go read about it, i can't see it good in picture. It appears overwhelming. Do you use it live?

My favorite pedal is a high gain distortion, either a metal muff (currently using), box of metal, pisdiyauwot, or similar. I need to buy one of each for backups. I hate buying backup gear as you feel like you have been robbed!

I'm not fussed which as they all basically sound the same anyways.

My favorite pedal is a high gain distortion, either a metal muff (currently using), box of metal, pisdiyauwot, or similar. I need to buy one of each for backups. I hate buying backup gear as you feel like you have been robbed!

I'm not fussed which as they all basically sound the same anyways.

I don't hear about the metal muff. I can't live without Big muff also. I never tried any other fuzzes. I know this one and i guess i will feel robbed also if i buy another and don't use it. I do that too much. Speaking of robbed i just saw a sansamp original on ebay $478. I wonder if a sansamp is cosidered a modeling multi-effects unit?

I want one bad, but not that bad. I'm going to look into that para di box. That little girl in those videos reminds me of mine. Precious. He does great videos. Burg i think is his name. I often watch him demo the sansamp classic 20 straight into computer with nothing and getting those sounds. That is highly impressive. I guess that may be another top choice of best effect. Tech 21 sansamp, the original. I've heard the gt 2 isn't as impressive and not as many tonal options. I need to give my wife ideas for Christmas presents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have limited experience with stompboxes, but my favorite pedal is the Nova Repeater. It's not sexy or boutique or anything like that, but has a crapload of delay options and is capable of modulated delays as well. I've had it for a couple of months and am still getting new sounds with it. It's built like a tank, too. My only complaint is the lack of an on/off switch (you have to unplug the power). It suits what I do and the music I like (shoegaze/dream pop/postpunk).

Wow Foxy, that looks complicated. Line 6 has always rung a bad chord in my mind and i can't remember why. Now i don't like them for no good reason. I may have bought something years ago when modeling was beginning and didn't like it. That looks like one stop shopping. Expression pedal add on? It looks like almost 4 channels or sound options with eq for each? I'm going to go read about it, i can't see it good in picture. It appears overwhelming. Do you use it live?

I HATE most line 6 stuff (don't get me started on the amps :evil: ) but i've heard nothing but good things about the M13 and i love the entire range of the stompbox modelers,

I own too many pedal to justify spend the coin on multi effects but if i ever decide to i will buy an M13, it does have expression pedal input and i don't think it's that complicated once you have it set up. I hate multieffects for OD, dirts etc. but i love them for delays ring mods and more trippy stuff.

just to prove how good it is heres J with the weather.