Any difference's between vintage mustangs and reissue mustang?

I know there are a few other topics with this same question, and am sorry for that but i can't find them.

So, my question, are there any difference's between the early 60/70's mustangs and the reissue mustangs?

Maybe because of the wood, or elements?

I readed somewhere about this, but am not sure of it's true.

Am thinking to buy a mustang as soon as possible, i wanna know what's the best choice.

I like them both, the compstangs the most but those are really expensive.

Yes, there are some differences. Do they make it sound different? Yes, slightly but its nothing to get your panties in a twist over IMO.

I have a 1966 Daphne blue (well, its half green after 44 years...its older than me:) ) Mustang and when it had the stock pickups (which suck bad like all fender pickups under 8k) in it it sounded pretty close to a stock Japanese Mustang.

Vintage finishes are nitro, except 70's(+possibly very late 60's)ones and so forth.

Vintage pickups tend to sound a tad better although they all sound like #### to me personally.

Vintage bridges are better constructed and look slightly different.

Vintage vibratos have pat pending on them.

Some vintage ones like mine have celluloid pickguards not plastic.

Vintage ones have CTS pots not the mini Japanese ones (nothing wrong with them at all IMO).

Vintage are not metric like the import ones.

Most RI's don't have shielding plates.

etc etc

However, if you want to buy an import reissue the fender mustang is the closest to original spec'D guitar Fender Japan ever made, especially the 65 RI which is even closer than most other RI's.

Fender japan's jaguar is second and the jazzmaster is last as it differs so much from an american jazzmaster about the only thing in common with the American model is its name and shape.

Even the production jagstang is different than Kurt's, which were not Japanese made but American custom shop made.

And all this historical crap aside, the Fender Japan Mustangs are sick guitars!!! Vintage does not always mean better, sometimes it does but not always. My 66 sounds better acoustically than any MIJ/CIJ I've played and it sounds better plugged in too but that's just my opinion.

I've come to absolutely #### hate poly guitars (they do sound different than nitro believe it or not, I never believed it for years but they do indeed) so I have an aversion to them but if a CIJ Comp Blue mustang came up I'd still buy it in an instance. I like the feel of poly necks, I just hate the sound of poly guitars in general (massive generalization present!). The poly vs nitro thing is another topic (should I say argument) altogether! :mrgreen:

Bottom line: They are great guitars, sound good with some single coil sized humbuckers in them (which are drop in replacements) and they are cheaper than you can ever dream of getting a vintage one for!

Hi Willem,

Congratulations! You're on a fun quest for a great guitar. Hope this helps...

One of the Mustang features you may want to watch out for is the difference between the earliest Mustangs and the later ones. Up to 1969 the Mustang was a slab body. Sometime in 1969 the body was given ergonomic sculpting and also became thicker by about 1/3 inch.

A second Mustang feature to watch for is the two neck sizes. You can find Mustangs with what's called an "A" neck which is about 22"...for small hands. You can also find them with a "B" neck, about 24" for average-sized hands. Some people with larger hands find even the "B" neck Mustang difficult to play, especially up near the body where the distance between frets is smallest.

The reissue Mustangs can be found with either body shape; I believe the reissues all have "B" necks but I could be wrong. So whether you get a reissue or a vintaqe Mustang, you can decide if you have a preference for one style or the other.

By the way, it's possible to get a vintage Mustang for about what you'd pay for a new Mustang. For example, a vintage Mustang that's been refinished, but otherwise original and in good condition, can be found for $800 to $1000 USD. My '65 vintage Mustang plays great...some people are not happy with the vintage pickups but I'm very pleased with mine. I get a great range of tones.

Remember, a good amp will compensate for what some might consider weaknesses (pickup "strength", or degrees of "hot", refer to the portions of the frequency range that are emphasized by different pickup types). A true weakness might be degradation of magnet strength over time. :wink:

Cheers,

Okay thanks alot!

Till now am thinking to get a reissue one, because of the price and

because they don't have many differences with vintage ones.

I have an London City DEA 100 stack amp from 1970 (bought from my uncle for a 100 euro!!!)

My jagstang sounds really nice with this amp, so i have to check out the mustang in combination

with it.

• 2 weeks later...