I just got a Boss RV-3 and upon plugging in my guitar got the "Check" LED turning on. No guitar sound whatsoever comes out of the pedal. I swapped out for a new 9v and got the same deal. I don't have a Boss power adapter to test with. Are there any steps that I can take to see if the problem is simple to fix?

I just got a Boss RV-3 and upon plugging in my guitar got the "Check" LED turning on. No guitar sound whatsoever comes out of the pedal. I swapped out for a new 9v and got the same deal. I don't have a Boss power adapter to test with. Are there any steps that I can take to see if the problem is simple to fix?

I'm not being stupid so don't take this wrong. Plug the cable straight into amp and make sure cable is good. Then do same with other cable. Check everything you would without the pedal. If everything is good check all the knobs. When you go back into the pedal turn them both ways. Are you getting sound when you put the pedal in off with it still hooked up? I know these are obvious questions man but i do it all the time and it was something right in front of me.

Plug the battery into another pedal and see if they work in that one also.

Edited by brandonwinmill

I know you aren't being stupid; I did the same thing thinking maybe I was stupid. I had just bought an effects interconnect cable so I tried my guitar cable straight to the pedal and then straight to the amp with known-good cables. No sound. Pressing the footswitch does not toggle the LED or any sounds (no thunks or anything of that type). I then tried my cables again with my OD pedal and it worked just fine. Tried my cable straight to the amp and it worked just fine.

edit: I didn't get any sound from either the A output (mono) or B output (stereo)

I know you aren't being stupid; I did the same thing thinking maybe I was stupid. I had just bought an effects interconnect cable so I tried my guitar cable straight to the pedal and then straight to the amp with known-good cables. No sound. Pressing the footswitch does not toggle the LED or any sounds (no thunks or anything of that type). I then tried my cables again with my OD pedal and it worked just fine. Tried my cable straight to the amp and it worked just fine.

Ok first troubleshooting steps always is what you did. I'm going home in about 10 minutes and then 45 minute drive. I have some boss pedals i can open up and see what it could be so you don't ruin yours. I have a fdr-1 that may be able to help me help you. Fran or one of those guys can tell you in a heartbeat what it is though. I don't know a tenth of what these dudes do but i will try. When i get home i'll check on it from iphone. If i think of something i'll post it while driving. We'll figure it out bro. :)

Thanks, man. I just connected it again and with the volume way up on my amp I can tap the pedal and hear the tap with delay/reverb (the mode knob seems to work as I can change this). I've gotta head out to meet up with my girlfriend but I'll be checking the forums on my phone.

With everything hooked up but the amp off I have the check light on. I'm going to read the manual and see what I find and post later

Can you try and run guitar into another pedal and then jump to the boss pedal and then out to the amp. Are you able to hear your signal with the pedal off and are you running through effects loop or straight into front of amp. I was also thinking you could switch the input and output, in other words hook it up backwards, guitar to output and amp to input in case something is crossed. The manual isn't much help.

With everything hooked up but the amp off I have the check light on. I'm going to read the manual and see what I find and post later

Can you try and run guitar into another pedal and then jump to the boss pedal and then out to the amp. Are you able to hear your signal with the pedal off and are you running through effects loop or straight into front of amp. I was also thinking you could switch the input and output, in other words hook it up backwards, guitar to output and amp to input in case something is crossed. The manual isn't much help.

I downloaded the manual and it makes me think that Boss thinks that their pedals never go wrong. I dimed all the dials on my OD pushing into the RV-3 with no results. I'm gonna try that out backwards and see what's what.

edit: no luck. from what I understand once you insert the plug into the input it should turn on the light, but if you hit the footswitch it should turn it off. The footswitch does nothing, however.

Damnitt, sorry bro that sucks. I have never in 15 years had trouble with them. I hope they have good customer service. Did you buy it new? Good luck anyways, i was hoping i could help you. Let me know the result and be sure to post so other members may use it as reference. thanks

It's used. I think I'm gonna send this little bastard back. It was listed as working with some blemishes and ended up DOA.

• 1 month later...

It's used. I think I'm gonna send this little bastard back. It was listed as working with some blemishes and ended up DOA.

I had the same issue with a shredmaster clone I bought. Just didn't end up working sadly.

try using a power adapter instead of a battery, worked for my boss metalcore that I used to have could very well be a completely different issue

That could be a good thing to check. The nine volt wires could have an issue where the external power input could be fine.

With mine, the effect was popping in and out with power and with a nine volt in it. I took it apart and didn't see anything loose, but something must have been off because the person didn't relist it after I returned it. They claimed it worked for them when I sent it back, but still gave me a refund.

Most pedals seem to be very strong and well built. I have stuff from high school that works just as well now as when I get it. Sometimes you get a lemon. :)

Yeah this kind of thing sucks. I have a DS-1 Boss Distortion, LED light doesn't work, tried new batteries, dont have a power adapter, so I can't try that. I opened up the back to see if a wire was loose that could be re-connected, but there was nothing loose. I also bought mine used at a local pawn shop. It bites man.

Yeah this kind of thing sucks. I have a DS-1 Boss Distortion, LED light doesn't work, tried new batteries, dont have a power adapter, so I can't try that. I opened up the back to see if a wire was loose that could be re-connected, but there was nothing loose. I also bought mine used at a local pawn shop. It bites man.

It might be the switch. If you can get hold of a multimeter, set it on ohms, trace where the switch connects to the circuit board, press the switch & see if there is any change(should read close to zero). Is there any clean sound going through it, if not, there could be a latching circuit problem(boss pedals aren,t true bypass). In hind-sight it would be advisable to test/demo the pedal in the shop before buying. Some people dump defective gear on pawn shops if they think that they wont test it. Sounds like you have a good basis for a refund.

It might be the switch. If you can get hold of a multimeter, set it on ohms, trace where the switch connects to the circuit board, press the switch & see if there is any change(should read close to zero). Is there any clean sound going through it, if not, there could be a latching circuit problem(boss pedals aren,t true bypass). In hind-sight it would be advisable to test/demo the pedal in the shop before buying. Some people dump defective gear on pawn shops if they think that they wont test it. Sounds like you have a good basis for a refund.

It does produce a clean sound, and I did test it out, it worked fine, brought it home and played with it for a couple days, then about 3 days after buying, it just stopped :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi - similar problem.

I just bought a BF-2 off eBay and it doesn't work (duh!).

I have checked cables and power source and they are all working fine. The pedal switches on and off, light works etc., and if I turn the amp up high enough I can hear the "flanging" which changes when I turn the knobs - fantastic!

Only problem is there is no clean or flanged sound when I plug my guitar in. For some reason the input is not being passed through (checked with multimeter - earthis connected bt not the live).

Could this be a problem with the switch?

All help appreciated!

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...