SD Hot Rails VS SD Distortion

I am trying to get a Seymour Duncan Distortion sound out of a single coil size strat mini humbucker. I have had hotrails in my 96 usa strat for around 12 years. I like them for distortion, but as we all know they sorta are a bit harsh for clean sounds. I have recently fallen in love with the SD distortion for clean and distortion. Is there a similar replacement in mini humbucker size by any company? Duncan? Dimarzio? Neither, i don't care, any company. I just dont want to cut my pickguard or have to rout it for a full humbucker. I have frankly began to dislike the hotrails overall since i tried the distortion. HELP!!

I am trying to get a Seymour Duncan Distortion sound out of a single coil size strat mini humbucker. I have had hotrails in my 96 usa strat for around 12 years. I like them for distortion, but as we all know they sorta are a bit harsh for clean sounds. I have recently fallen in love with the SD distortion for clean and distortion. Is there a similar replacement in mini humbucker size by any company? Duncan? Dimarzio? Neither, i don't care, any company. I just dont want to cut my pickguard or have to rout it for a full humbucker. I have frankly began to dislike the hotrails overall since i tried the distortion. HELP!!

I'm not a big fan of the things so I'm not TOO much help.I can tell you, however, that the SD SH-6 is a ceramic magent, so.......yeah, ceramic magnets. That should shorten your search a bit, I guess.

You know what? No. I need to know how people can enjoy that glassy, achingly bright tone. It's disturbing. Alnico V's are so superior it's incredible there was ever a market for ceramic pickups..............sigh.

Edited by Masta1m

I'm not a big fan of the things so I'm not TOO much help.I can tell you, however, that the SD SH-6 is a ceramic magent, so.......yeah, ceramic magnets. That should shorten your search a bit, I guess.

You know what? No. I need to know how people can enjoy that glassy, achingly bright tone. It's disturbing. Alnico V's are so superior it's incredible there was ever a market for ceramic pickups..............sigh.

I guess thats why there are so many options, everyone has their own style and likes and dislikes. I value your opinion, but it is certinaly not any standard to live by. Some people like ceramic, some dont't that's why they make them. You don't have to act like you are all high and mighty and I am a bum because you prefer Alnico's. My question wasn't to compare ceramic and alnico.

I guess thats why there are so many options, everyone has their own style and likes and dislikes. I value your opinion, but it is certinaly not any standard to live by. Some people like ceramic, some dont't that's why they make them. You don't have to act like you are all high and mighty and I am a bum because you prefer Alnico's. My question wasn't to compare ceramic and alnico.

I don't mean to be all "high and mighty" but I installed all ceramic pickups into my Jag right before my tastes radically changed, and now I guess I overcompensate a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

He means these: (I have one of these, the DP218, and its seriously better than the DP100 fullsized version IMO)

DimarzioDP218BKBig.jpg

Not these:

gibson-mini-humbucker.jpg

Man, I just put this in my Strat like you reccomended. Wow, exactly the sound I was looking for. It is the first DiMarzio I have ever used. After using SD's exclusively for the past 15 years I am kicking myself for not using one of these before. Thanks for the suggestion. Just sounds amazing.