Hello guys

I have a Red Fiesta lefthanded JagStang and i want to change the pickups.

i want to know what are the last pickups on kurt´s jagstang

Someone say a Fender Texas Special and a DiMarzio H-3 humbucker. but i know that kurt has chanced the dimarzio with a Seymour duncan because he don´t liked it

thanx

Hello guys

I have a Red Fiesta lefthanded JagStang and i want to change the pickups.

i want to know what are the last pickups on kurt´s jagstang

Someone say a Fender Texas Special and a DiMarzio H-3 humbucker. but i know that kurt has chanced the dimarzio with a Seymour duncan because he don´t liked it

thanx

What are you trying to accomplish? Did you want to sound like kurt or have a guitar that is exactly to his specs? He liked the super distortions and jb's and his favorite was a bartolini. Thats what i've read. I think bartolini builds mostly bass pickups and i don't know much about the pickups. James can probably tell you what newer pickups hit the right frequencies that kurt would like if he were around today. Go to earnie bailey's site also and i think it's very accurate. I have a old guitar world legends with a breakdown of kurt's live and recording gear for each album and year and i will look at the last pickups. It's difficult to nail his sound though. It seems like it wouldn't but who else uses giant crest power amps and that mesa preamp he used is very complicated. I stress very. Mesa stuff is sensitive. Good luck trying though. You may be lucky enough to stumble onto your own sound while trying to figure out his. Turn the volume all the way up, turn the amp all the way up, turn the mids all the way up, get an eq and fine tune the rest there, but keep the mids up. One more thing, keep in mind that on unplugged (my favorite live performance ever) it still sounded like kurt. Acoustic and all, i can tell what pat was playing and kurt was playing. Kurt was kurt. Let us know how it works out for you. James J is in a nirvana tribute band and he is a great guitar player and very knowledgeable about how to achieve a grungy sound with whatever you are playing with. If he chimes in do what he says and he will get you close. That's the best advice i can give you, listen to james.

Hell, I can sound like kurt on a Gibson and a Mesa/Marshall or any other combo if I choose to! :lol: Sound is in style,not in gear. 1st style, gear is always secondary.

Using the same gear can possibly help you sound like him but it wont if you cant play like him to begin with!

:mrgreen:

I could give any kurtz kid his exact set up and you know what? They are still gonna sound like a kurts kid, not kurt! :shock:

Hell, I can sound like kurt on a Gibson and a Mesa/Marshall or any other combo if I choose to! :lol: Sound is in style,not in gear. 1st style, gear is always secondary.

Using the same gear can possibly help you sound like him but it wont if you cant play like him to begin with!

:mrgreen:

I could give any kurtz kid his exact set up and you know what? They are still gonna sound like a kurts kid, not kurt! :shock:

Yep, that's what i was getting at. Can you with a gibson and a marshall? Seriously? I can't play any nirvana on a gibson. it feels sacrilegious, and it's in my head now that it's weird. I am agreeing with you btw, it's just weird on a gibson. You would have to study the little hitches kurt had and the way he hit open strings. It can become very complicated to try and pull it off and fool someone and i'm not sure why you would want to. Like i said in another thread i play heart shaped box a bit different than kurt did and i made it sound a little bit like me, but not disrespect kurt. I am a nirvana fan and i would like to pull a few things from him and mix them with lou reed and iggy and beatles and pumpkins and jimi and so on and so on until you have me. I'm not mad at him for trying, it ain't that easy though.

Can you with a gibson and a marshall? Seriously?

Sure.

I hate admitting this but I naturally play the guitar almost identical to Cobain's style and I hate this fact. That is why I can play his songs 100% identical to him if I choose to.

99% of my songs sound pretty original but every now and then I'll write one and someone who hears me playing it will say "oh, I've never heard that nirvana song before" and this really pisses me off as I don't ever want to sound like anyone else but occasionally I do...I suppose we all sound like someone else occasionally though.

And I get the same kinda comments about the melvins on the rare occasion too but this doesn't piss me off as much for some reason.

My music is, I can only describe it as anyways, a weird cross between melvins, nirvana, slayer and babes in toyland....kinda.

Sure.

I hate admitting this but I naturally play the guitar almost identical to Cobain's style and I hate this fact. That is why I can play his songs 100% identical to him if I choose to.

99% of my songs sound pretty original but every now and then I'll write one and someone who hears me playing it will say "oh, I've never heard that nirvana song before" and this really pisses me off as I don't ever want to sound like anyone else but occasionally I do...I suppose we all sound like someone else occasionally though.

And I get the same kinda comments about the melvins on the rare occasion too but this doesn't piss me off as much for some reason.

My music is, I can only describe it as anyways, a weird cross between melvins, nirvana, slayer and babes in toyland....kinda.

He sold quite a few albums, he has quite a few fans, and he has inspired probably thousands of young guitarists. It can't be that bad. I can't play any melvins stuff on a strat, it's the same thing. Weird. I don't think you can help sounding like someone, it makes up your music dna, if that makes sense. Your favorites creep in there i think subconsciously. It could be worse, you could sound like __________ (insert artist you hate worse!)

He sold quite a few albums, he has quite a few fans, and he has inspired probably thousands of young guitarists. It can't be that bad. I can't play any melvins stuff on a strat, it's the same thing. Weird. I don't think you can help sounding like someone, it makes up your music dna, if that makes sense. Your favorites creep in there i think subconsciously. It could be worse, you could sound like __________ (insert artist you hate worse!)

I love the stock setup.

i was going to a fender shop and the man from the shop says to me

you´ve got a rare jagstang from 1996

keep it original

and i think by myself ok why not

i like the sound and it is a great guitar

the man from the shop says if you have the same effects as kurt use you got the right sound

Think about it. Bleach tone:

Hi Flyer/that Epi Strattish thing > DS-1 > Fender Twin

Nevermind tone:

HH Jag/Mustang/Strat > DS-1, Small Clone, loads of overdubs > Twin/Mesa (I think?)

In Utero tone:

Les Paul copy (yes), Jag > Sansamp, Polychorus > No idea about amps

Kurt never used the J-S that much, and for what it did well he preferred his Mustang anyway. The Jag-Stang was never a huge part of his setup.

• Like 2

Nevermind tone:

HH Jag/Mustang/Strat > DS-1, Small Clone, loads of overdubs > Twin/Mesa (I think?)

In Utero tone:

Kurt never used the J-S that much, and for what it did well he preferred his Mustang anyway. The Jag-Stang was never a huge part of his setup.

this

Nevermind tone:

In Utero tone:

I was under the impression he hated the js.

The guy who told you about the effects is absolutely dead wrong. He is right about leaving the guitar alone. You will end up ruining it chasing a sound unachievable by you. Earth can nail it because they share similar nuances. They have similar flaws and strengths. I have been down this road already. To add something, he used different tunings on bleach also. I think one full step down for most of record. The problem i had was live at reading i am hearing a very different sound than any other live or recordings. I'm not going to re-visit it. I'll say it again, i knew it was kurt at unplugged <----think about this. Does this make sense? It is important to me that you get it. Gear is the first and sometimes least important part of sounding like someone. If earth can nail kurt's sound with a les paul and a marshall, that says it all. I may have said this already. If you want to play nirvana's music, reinterpret it and make it your own. If you want to be like kurt, do what kurt did when he covered. Listen to the original songs he covered on unplugged and then listen to the way he played them. He would be honored that you play a jag-stang because of him. He would not like you to learn and imitate his bad habits from him. If someone wants to hear the sound kurt had they need only to insert a nirvana cd into a player and hit play. I hope i'm not sending the wrong the signals. I think kurt would be absolutely flattered that you have chosen him to study and you are interested in his sound. By all means continue to study him but also forge your own sound and all your influences will be apparent as well as their influences. Study the man, not so much the sound. Learn about kurt as a human and you will find he doesn't want you sounding exactly like him. He wants you to keep him alive in you and in punk rock music, but he wants you to make what you learned from him personal. He wants you to input some of you in it. Good Luck with this. I hope more people study him. I hope they study and recognize what he has done for music, and for rights of female musicians. He took a very different stance on censorship than most rock stars and it is worth investigating his motives. I don't mean to sound negative, i want to save you some time and frustration. I am curious to who else you listen to besides nirvana. We may be able to make some recommendations of ideal gear to have a sound from mixing your influences. Just a thought.

Kurt is not the board favorite musician but this was handled with nothing but class and patience and i learned some things here. Thanks

ps i think the in utero was a old vox and the mesa pre amp and that same twin that he used as a monitor at unplugged. The twin was running at half power until earnie changed the bad tubes and i'm not sure when he did this. I have it all written at home. Nevermind is a twin and the mesa preamp and tons of overdubs, especially on his voice. You nailed it. I guess that is where the overproduction thing came from. You never really know what they were using though. I wouldn't give away all my secrets either.

You know what, i have no right to tell you what to do. I've been thinking about it and kurt said when he wrote about a girl that he was trying to write like the beatles. He also said most everything he wrote he was intentionally trying to sound like the pixies. Who am i to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Sorry about that, follow your heart bro. People's opinions are just that. If you want to sound like kurt let it rip. Buy a cheap overdrive or distortion pedal and a small clone or some kind of phaser. Get a big muff to nail the dark sound of lithium and turn it loud and play it with 2 finger power chords and don't worry about it sounding sloppy. Put your everything and passion in every note. Good Luck and

ftw.

Nevermind tone:

In Utero tone:

Just to elaborate some, From teh website everyone knows:

Bleach-

Recording of 'Bleach'

Jack Endino says in the early days a Univox guitar (Hi-Flyer (57)) with stock humbuckers was used (54). Jack bought one of these type of stock Univox pickups from Kurt once. It was in pieces, but Jack was able to stick the wires together (57). The Univox(s) was around approximately until "Sappy" was recorded; a new guitar was seen at least by the time Jack did the "In Utero" demos which he remembers as being a small Fender guitar, "perhaps a Mustang." The Randall was in the shop when "Bleach" was recorded, so Jack Endino's '68 Fender Twin amp was used on the album. It didn't have any speakers and was run into a closed-back 2x12 cabinet loaded with 70 or 75-watt Celestions of Kurt's (54). This cabinet was Kurt's BFI Bullfrog 2x12 (59). Jack says Kurt used a bottom-of-the-line orange Boss distortion pedal ( a Boss DS-1)(54). Awah-wah pedal was used, as well ("Bleach" 34). The album was recorded close-miked with a Shure SM-58 to an Otari half-inch 8-track at 15 ips with no noise reduction. According to Endino, "Much later, for the In Utero demos, Kurt showed up with all this top-of-the-line Mesa Boogie rack gear that sounded kind of colorless and washed out - but was loud as ####" (54).

Nevermind -

Recording of 'Nevermind'

"Nevermind" was recorded at Sound City, Van Nuys and Devonshire, North Hollywood studios. It was produced by Butch Vig and NIRVANA. With the monetary advance for recording the album the band had more money to choose equipment; Kurt bought "a bunch" of guitars and effects from Guitar Maniacs (57).

The guitars used were his competition Mustang, his Jaguar, and a new Stratocaster(s) with humbuckers in the bridge positions (6). Kurt purchased a bunch of Japanese Strats (had humbuckers installed in the bridges) and effects for this album from Rick King of Guitar Maniacs. Just prior to recording this album Kurt apparently developed a taste for Fender guitars. It has been said his main amp was a Mesa/Boogie Studio .22 but the recording setup was really similar, if not identical, to his upcoming live setup (purchased before entering the studio): Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp with a Crown power amp and a variety of Marshall cabinets. In live performances, his Crown power amp was eventually replaced with 2 Crest power amps, discussed in the "Amplification" section (57). He also used a Fender Bassman on about four songs and a Vox AC30 for some clean tracks. Four microphones were used to mic Kurt's speaker cabinet (he would pick which mic he liked best for each song and its signal was sent through the Neve console at Sound City): a Shure SM57, an AKG 414, a Neumann U87, and occasionally a Sennheiser 421. His main effects were the DS-1 Distortion and Small Clone. A ProCo Rat distortion pedal was also used on some songs on the album (6).

According to Vig, the Small Clone was the key to "the watery guitar sound you hear on the pre-chorus build-up of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' and also 'Come As You Are.'" An Electro-Harmonix Big Muff fuzz box was used on "Lithium" for that "dark, thumpier sound." Vig recalls using the U87 mike on "Lithium" because it wasn't so bright and had a heavier sound.

"Polly" was recorded at Vig's Smart Studios in Madison, Wisconsin during demo sessions for "Nevermind" with his 12-string Harmony Stella. It only had 5 nylon strings on it that were never changed. Tuned down about a step and a half from E and recorded with an AKG 414 microhone (See "Guitars" section).

Incesticide -

Recording of 'Incesticide'

Almost all of this section is unknown and any info on it is pure speculation, simply taking into account what gear Kurt was using at the time. A few things to note. NIRVANA used Tad's equipment (while TAD was at dinner) to record the "Sliver" single. Also noteworthy is that you can hear the Small Clone chorus on the intro to "Aneurysm" (57).

(^ back to top ^)

Recording of 'In Utero'

"In Utero" was recorded at Pachyderm Studios in Minnesota with producer Steve Albini (25). As for guitars, Kurt used his Fender Jaguar (57) and possibly the Ibanez Les Paul mentioned in the "Guitars, Miscellaneous" section. The Stella acoustic, after it was fixed-up with new tuners and strings, was used for the acoustics on the album (41)(57).

Kurt's Fender Twin Reverb was the main amp used (57).

As for effects, the Boss DS-2, Small Clone chorus (on what I don't know-- possibly the solo to "Verse Chorus Verse"?), Earnie's Polychorus (57), his own EchoFlanger, (41) and supposedly a Tech 21 Classic SansAmp amp-simulator effects box (32) were used. No rotovibe was used despite what it says in the tablature book ("In Utero" sheet music book 26)(41).

NIRVANA chose Steve Albini to record "In Utero" because he was able to get a sound which was "very in-your-face and real" according to Kurt (38).

Kurt said that because mics are so directional, to get a surrounding sound you need to use many tracks or use an omnidirectional microphone farther away from the instruments to pick up the reverberation from the walls. The key was to use many microphones, a technique he had been trying to get producers to do ever since they had been recording. Old, large German microphones were taped to the walls, ceiling, and floor... "all over the place" (38).

In Utero -

Recording of 'In Utero'

"In Utero" was recorded at Pachyderm Studios in Minnesota with producer Steve Albini (25). As for guitars, Kurt used his Fender Jaguar (57) and possibly the Ibanez Les Paul mentioned in the "Guitars, Miscellaneous" section. The Stella acoustic, after it was fixed-up with new tuners and strings, was used for the acoustics on the album (41)(57).

Kurt's Fender Twin Reverb was the main amp used (57).

As for effects, the Boss DS-2, Small Clone chorus (on what I don't know-- possibly the solo to "Verse Chorus Verse"?), Earnie's Polychorus (57), his own EchoFlanger, (41) and supposedly a Tech 21 Classic SansAmp amp-simulator effects box (32) were used. No rotovibe was used despite what it says in the tablature book ("In Utero" sheet music book 26)(41).

NIRVANA chose Steve Albini to record "In Utero" because he was able to get a sound which was "very in-your-face and real" according to Kurt (38).

Kurt said that because mics are so directional, to get a surrounding sound you need to use many tracks or use an omnidirectional microphone farther away from the instruments to pick up the reverberation from the walls. The key was to use many microphones, a technique he had been trying to get producers to do ever since they had been recording. Old, large German microphones were taped to the walls, ceiling, and floor... "all over the place" (38).

(^ back to top ^)

http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

I wonder what he means by bottom of the line orange boss pedal? WTF? You added that in there. He would have never said that! There must be more than one.

I guess since they cost $29.99, but that is senseless attack on an industry standard.

He can not be referring to this

019.jpg

ha ha ha

:P

I'm kidding. I am making a gear related joke. I mean no offense to anyone who hates them. Someone on this board must defend the ds-1.

i already have a jb installed and might get the the texas special for christmas, which is odd since i dont want to sound like kurt at all! i love him but mostly intrested by the bluesness of the texas special

I have a fat strat that came with tex-mex or texas specials, i can't remember which one. I love them. looovvveee them!

• 8 years later...
On 11/27/2010 at 10:18 AM, Disappearer said:

Nevermind tone:

In Utero tone:

Um... he played his js prototype frequently during live shows interchangeably with his Mustang... the second red prototype was also used live... he didn’t get the chance to return word to Fender that the second prototype was adequate to his design and feel for production... he died before it was completed; otherwise I’m MORE THAN SURE the js would have become a demonstrative icon in his future albums ???‍♂️

On 11/30/2010 at 4:51 PM, brandonwinmill said:

I wonder what he means by bottom of the line orange boss pedal? WTF? You added that in there. He would have never said that! There must be more than one.

I guess since they cost $29.99, but that is senseless attack on an industry standard.

He can not be referring to this

019.jpg

ha ha ha

:P

I'm kidding. I am making a gear related joke. I mean no offense to anyone who hates them. Someone on this board must defend the ds-1.

I own two distortion pedals... the DS-1 (which I adore) and the ISP Fet Overdrive that I mix with my Airon Stereo Flanger... I adore my Jagstang! Fav guitar ever! I did however install a Dimarzio DP-195 bridge pickup and still have the Texas special single coil for the neck (as mine is an original 1995 first generation) ...ALSO!! VERY IMPORTANT: any JS owner who still receives the “buzz” in the Low-E; there is a VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION to refining the intonation on the guitar.... simply INVERT the bridge so it’s upside down with the screws at top instead of bottom. Doing this will TOTALLY FIX the low E buzz common in Mustangs and Jag-Stangs! 

7 hours ago, Din09 said:

Um... he played his js prototype frequently during live shows interchangeably with his Mustang... the second red prototype was also used live... he didn’t get the chance to return word to Fender that the second prototype was adequate to his design and feel for production... he died before it was completed; otherwise I’m MORE THAN SURE the js would have become a demonstrative icon in his future albums ???‍♂️

This isn't true AT ALL. First off, there are numerous interviews online with the Fender luthier who actually built Kurt's Jag-Stangs. He said they were preparing to ship the red one when they got news of Kurt's death. He never had the red one at all.

Source:

https://www.jag-stang.com/2008/05/kurts-red-jag-stang-fender-museum/

He also did not "frequently" use the Jag-Stang live. If you check livenirvana.com or other websites with an extensive gallery of Nirvana live photos, or any amount of concert footage you very rarely see footage or photos of him with it. They certainly exist, and it was used time to time but not "frequently".. There is one notable show, I believe 2-25-1994 where he plays it for most of the show, but if you watch before and after, it makes brief appearances if at all.

Also, as per the article in Guitar Shop May 1997 interview with luthier Mark Brooks, (who built the guitar)-

"We put a Texas Special bridge pickup in the neck, to help balance the sound...[..]...the original guitar had a JB in the bridge".

Article-

https://ibb.co/cSOMjd

Also good info here-

https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/cobains-brainstorm-the-jigsaw-story-of-the-jag-stang/