Sign in to follow this  
Disappearer

NGD

Hey guys, so as you probably don't know I've been wanting some kind of possibly silver superstrat for a while now, I love the necks on METALZ guitars and they just seem like the types of guitars that are useful for a lot of things. Anyways, I was just minding my own business on the website of my local guitar shop when I saw they had some POS that looked like a copy of a copy of the kind of thing I was after, and for the bargain price of £29. So today I went in there to try it out and, lo and behold, it was actually quite good. The neck and pickups are both great for the price, although the bridge is awful, but that can be replaced if it really proves that bothersome. Here it is:

CRUISER.jpg?t=1291063464

• Like 1

Hey guys, so as you probably don't know I've been wanting some kind of possibly silver superstrat for a while now, I love the necks on METALZ guitars and they just seem like the types of guitars that are useful for a lot of things. Anyways, I was just minding my own business on the website of my local guitar shop when I saw they had some POS that looked like a copy of a copy of the kind of thing I was after, and for the bargain price of £29. So today I went in there to try it out and, lo and behold, it was actually quite good. The neck and pickups are both great for the price, although the bridge is awful, but that can be replaced if it really proves that bothersome. Here it is:

CRUISER.jpg?t=1291063464

I have that really ugly guitar that i posted pics of, i'm not sure if you saw it. Anyways i had it cleaned up and set up and i plugged it in and for being 28 years old it was a good guitar. It was a super strat shredder guitar or whatever. The neck is phenomenal. I know what you mean. It feels fast and comfortable. I like it when you take a guitar that is specifically built to do something and use it for something else.

Did you buy it?

I like the color a lot. I hate shredding but i like the guitars built for that. I think it looks like an ibanez. Nice cutaways, long and sharp and great access to the upper frets. It may be the picture but the fretboard looks stout. It looks like a fast guitar. I'm a fan of neck humbuckers. Very nice.

Thanks, yeah, I did end up buying it. It was too much of a bargain to pass up IMO. I love the colour too, I mean it's a massive coincidence that just when I'm looking for something that specific, along it comes, and ridiculously cheap too. I don't know if I saw the picture of your guitar... Is it in the "Pictures of Your Guitars" thread?

BTW, if you like the whole thing of using guitars for things they weren't built for, check out Modest Mouse if you haven't heard of them already. Their guitarist uses "metal" guitars (to start with just because they were cheap, but now because he actually likes them), and the Floyd Rose had a massive impact on his playing, considering they're an alternative band. Check out the songs Dramamine, Teeth Like God's Shoeshine and Life Like Weeds by them.

Thanks, yeah, I did end up buying it. It was too much of a bargain to pass up IMO. I love the colour too, I mean it's a massive coincidence that just when I'm looking for something that specific, along it comes, and ridiculously cheap too. I don't know if I saw the picture of your guitar... Is it in the "Pictures of Your Guitars" thread?

BTW, if you like the whole thing of using guitars for things they weren't built for, check out Modest Mouse if you haven't heard of them already. Their guitarist uses "metal" guitars (to start with just because they were cheap, but now because he actually likes them), and the Floyd Rose had a massive impact on his playing, considering they're an alternative band. Check out the songs Dramamine, Teeth Like God's Shoeshine and Life Like Weeds by them.

I am relatively familiar with them, but thank you i will certainly check that out. When you say metal guitars are we talking about zemaitis or trussart type stuff? Oh my bad, metal guitars, i got you. Guitars built for metal music right?

This is what it first looked like. i wanted to keep it and i have a brother in law who is a humongous pumpkins fan and he donated the first sticker to cover it up. it's an old pumpkins sticker that came in a limited cd or something, so now i can't get rid of the guitar because of the sticker. It plays fast though. It has one pickup with a tap type thing. I'm starting to dig the strangeness. I'll get some more pics of the after. The neck aged nicely. I had a friends kids who are 14 and 16 in here when it was here and they loved it. Got me, it's way too evh ugly in my eyes. It looks better with stickers.

-

-

017-1.jpg

Yeah, I meant guitars for metal music. His style is full of Floyd-ed natural harmonics and stuff, it's really unique. That's a pretty cool guitar too, very EVH indeed. Covered with stickers, I can imagine that to be the kind of thing Corgan would've played too.

This is the only guitar i have with a floyd rose and to be honest i don't even know how to tune it, ha

I'm going to print something online on floyd rose tuning. If i keep putting important stickers i will love it.

Great buy btw. That doesn't sound like a lot of money.

I'm going to go and re-listen to modest mouse. I think i was into franz ferdinand and the killers at that same time period. The killers, when i first heard them, i was sure had a knack for melody similar to the beatles. At the first listen i thought they were going to be enormous. They had lots of instruments and some of the piano melodies were fantastic. Franz Ferdinand's take me out has been stuck in my head for about 8 years. I'm almost positive that was around the same time as modest mouse and i may have missed them except for their more popular stuff. I was also on a white stripes kick that has lasted better than 9 or 10 years or so it seems. Thanks for the recommendation.

I hate comparing bands to the beatles. It is like comparing people to micheal jordan. The killers are not the beatles, not even close. They just share an ear for melody and i'm jealous of both bands. I'm from the theory that great music comes from great melody and little else matters.

Edited by brandonwinmill

£29 is like $45 if I remember correctly. I know what you mean about Floyds, I love the things you can do if you have one but the maintenence is just awful. Changing strings mid-gig would be a nightmare.

And yeah, the later Modest Mouse stuff (their last two albums) are that kind of Killers/Franz Ferdinand early 2000's indie, but their earlier stuff (which is the best stuff IMO) is almost like a space-rock Pixies type thing with the sprawling Sonic Youth-y guitar epics. Their third album, The Moon & Antarctica, is one of my favourite albums, that's when they got the recording budget to do properly spacey stuff and it's just amazing. Great songwriting, great textures and guitar playing, and their bassist is one of the best I've heard. Their first two are more raw and punky production-wise, but still both epic.

£29 is like $45 if I remember correctly. I know what you mean about Floyds, I love the things you can do if you have one but the maintenence is just awful. Changing strings mid-gig would be a nightmare.

And yeah, the later Modest Mouse stuff (their last two albums) are that kind of Killers/Franz Ferdinand early 2000's indie, but their earlier stuff (which is the best stuff IMO) is almost like a space-rock Pixies type thing with the sprawling Sonic Youth-y guitar epics. Their third album, The Moon & Antarctica, is one of my favourite albums, that's when they got the recording budget to do properly spacey stuff and it's just amazing. Great songwriting, great textures and guitar playing, and their bassist is one of the best I've heard. Their first two are more raw and punky production-wise, but still both epic.

Wow! Thank you. You said many keywords to grab my attention. Pixies, sonic youth, and epic! ha

I knew you liked the pixies without meeting you. I know you like the pumpkins and if so, the pixies are all over that. Billy can't help but sneak some pixies stuff in his work. Did you read where i posted about the free pixies live cd by joining their mailing list. It's a great set and it's free. I say cd but it's a download. Thanks again, if you don't mind we can revisit modest mouse after i listen a few times.

I know i've derailed a thread again, it's never intentional.

45 dollars? yeah...great buy. It cost me that in gas to go buy a guitar. Thats 5 dollars more than a ds-1. ha ha

I'll take that any day of the week.

In that case congrats and they may have a warrant for you stealing that guitar.

Edited by brandonwinmill

Haha don't worry about it. Thread jacking is fine on this forum, I think as long as it's not a very specific topic asking for help or something most people don't mind it. I did check out that live Pixies stuff, yeah. They deserve all the praise they can get IMO, Surfer Rosa is probably my personal favourite. You're right about the Pumpkins being influenced too, I think Billy said once that on Gish he was trying to get that Surfer Rosa drum sound. It's a shame Steve Albini hates Corgan, I reckon they could do some really interesting stuff. But oh well.

ok, i have their entire catalog and i dig it. It doesn't fall in any genre really, almost the way dinsoaur jr doesn't. It borders country at times and punk at times. It is nicely layered and it's going to take me a while to digest. I certainly like it. I'm checking it against baron van bull#### rides again to see how they manage this live. The older stuff at times reminds me of..this is weird but primus. Nothing ever makes me think of primus. I have to figure out why.

For having so many layers it hasn't lost that indie under produced feel. It is quite different. Sleepwalking has some really nice guitar playing, very mellow. Interstate 8 sounds great live which surprised me. Float on was the only one i remembered. They are very dramatic at times.

I won't bore you with a track by track bull####. It is great. I hear kevin sheields in there also at times. They must listen to a lot of music. March into the sea is a great track. I know dashboard also. They play with passion and that always hooks me. I missed this one, it happens. I'll listen to soo much music i'll miss some. Thanks

Well I would, but I still don't have a camera that does video stuff as well as pictures... So I'm afraid y'all are just gonna have to imagine the shweet toanz of teh new axe.

Good score dude, its great when you get a bargain is'nt it?! Any chance of a demo?

I'm with you on the Superstrat necks, i got a Vester RG550 copy that has a great neck. Concerning image its not really my thing but one of my favorite guitars to play.

No chance of a demo I'm afraid, although if I ever get a camera that does video too I think I'll owe you all a long overdue demo of this and the Jagmaster lawls. Yeah image wise they're not for everyone, but I do actually quite like the way it looks. It's not very indie (or maybe that just makes it more indie?) but it's kind of cool in a "piece of #### that Thurston Moore might have played live on one song in the 80's after finding it in a secondhand shop" sort of way, even if that is incredibly specific.

Webcam's are three shillings at ASDA, DO A DEMO... ARE YOU A FAG? :-mad

Your right, if it is'nt indie then it is indie. That is how the gear in that scene originally came about- using uncool gear. Jags and Jazzys were gash, no-one wanted them, forgotten Fenders. Teh kurDtz ruined everything.

Webcam's are three shillings at ASDA, DO A DEMO... ARE YOU A FAG? :-mad

Your right, if it is'nt indie then it is indie. That is how the gear in that scene originally came about- using uncool gear. Jags and Jazzys were gash, no-one wanted them, forgotten Fenders. Teh kurDtz ruined everything.

Yes, I am clearly a fag. :shock: Truth is, I know webcams are cheap and all but I'm hardly online at all nowadays, and pretty much never on a laptop... I just leave my accounts on here and Facebook logged in all the time on my iPod and go on it when I get a chance. Lately if I'm not at school then I'm sleeping or out somewhere else, so yeah, that's the reason. I will do one eventually though, this is my last year of education before all the rich kids go off to Uni so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time when I'm fat, unemployed and friendless is a few month's time.