The full sized JB is more versitile. When I used the HR the volume pot on my Strat had to be rolled back between 3 & 5 to get a good clean tone, this while using a clean amp setting. I got a good overdriven tone with the HR by using a Big Muff USA and the volume pot set between 7 & 9 but palm muting is sacrificed with a Muff. YMMV.

I've got one in the bridge position on my Musicmaster, it sounds 'full' on clean sounds but with it coil-tapped its very thin sounding although if you use it like this with the bridge pup as well you can get some good funky tones. Very solid with distortion, but i find it lacks a little bass on the bottom end so chugging away on power chords dont sound too chunky. But that could be the guitar, i dunno.

I'd put you some soundclips up but to be honest i drenched everything with fuzz pedals/blue boxes when i was using that guitar so they would'nt really be much help to you.

@ fran - Speaking of fuzz...that guy , the radio guy, never emailed me back :( I really want a geranium fuzz too but the prices on ebay are sky high...
I dont think he's selling them anymore because the kits are'nt advertised on his site. Ebay is your best bet though, your looking at 80 quid and upwards for most germanium fuzzes. Dont forget to keep an eye out for Jim Dunlop/Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Faces and Roger Mayer Fuzzes, they're mostly germanium and sometimes go for around 70+ quid.
id like to know what you all think about this pickup, does it have a nice clean tone ? and is it good for a solid distortion ?

How yould you compare it with a JB ?

also it would be awsome if someone could record a small clip :)

ty

Dude. Here's a little clip of how the Hot Rail sounds, consider i'm going through a Squier 15 watt practice amp using the onboard distortion...it sounds way better through a quality amp ;)

Link..

cool ty, i think it sound very good (and nice playing by the way), do you have a 250K pot or 500K pot ?

I recently won on ebay a reissue mustang with a Hotrail in the bridge, ill run it through a fender 30 watts and a ds-2.

cool ty, i think it sound very good (and nice playing by the way), do you have a 250K pot or 500K pot ?

I recently won on ebay a reissue mustang with a Hotrail in the bridge, ill run it through a fender 30 watts and a ds-2.

Not sure on the pot because the mod was already done when i bought the guitar.

hmmm...a ds-2 will make any pup sound average, has'nt the amp got distortion onboard? if so it will surely be better than one of Boss's not so finest.

I've had experience with the Hotrail, the quarter pounder and the red lace sensor single coils along with stock ones of course (Jag, Jazzy and MM), all used with solid distortion out of the upgrade's i'd put the hotrail at the bottom of the pile. It is higher output and pulls off tricks like pinch harmonics and smooth controlled feedback better than the other two but it is less refined. The other two seem to have more clarity and the notes really stand out.

I suppose its a tough decision picking pups, its taken me years to find the right one(s). Everyones taste is different, mad-mike for instance likes his 'cool rails'.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another question or two here, if anyone can comment:

- Would it be stupid/mad/useless/cool/nice/useful to use Hot Rails as a neck pickup on Jag-Stang (when having fullsize JB on bridge)?

- What's the difference in sound between the 2 pickups if one has the same pickups on bridge & neck? (I've never player a guitar with 2 same pickups..)

I considered putting a hot rail in my JS neck, nothing wrong with that idea.

You can balance the output differences to a degree by adjusting pup height.

Benefits; more sustain, smoother feedback, fuller sound...

Your second question, they will sound different simply because of there placement on the body in relation to the bridge and neck. The bridge pup will always sound brighter/more trebley.

Does anyone know if this could be used in a Jag-Stang with the neck pickup (original or Hot Rails or some other pup)?

http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/cus ... ucts/15007

I mean (Lindy Fralin) Baseplate if the link don't work. (Yes I know it says "for Strat bridge pickups" there..)

EDIT: There's an used Hot Rails there for sale at the same shop.. http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/cus ... ducts/1871

You'd have to combine the measurement of the pup and baseplate then measure the JS pup route to see if it was deep enough.

Other than that i cannot forsee a problem.

If you are looking to do this just to boost low end in the neck position i dont see the point because there is already plenty......that's why they are designed specifically for the bridge position.