Sign in to follow this  
Wiseman88

Best Year for Les Pauls

I'm thinking of buying a Les Paul (distant prospect as the wallets incredibly thin) but some say that the '90's era les pauls are very good. Any other recommendations for good les pauls from certain eras. (I'd consider an epiphone on the cheap tho)

70's are cheaper that certain other years cause people have the stupid concept that they are lesser guitars.

Also 80's customs can be had reasonably too.

• Like 1

70's and 80's are good, don't listen to the Norlin haters out there I'd say they are still damn fine guitars! The early 90's had some beautiful looking les pauls as well. Nothing beats 1959 though or so the story goes :mrgreen:

70's and 80's are good, don't listen to the Norlin haters out there I'd say they are still damn fine guitars! The early 90's had some beautiful looking les pauls as well. Nothing beats 1959 though or so the story goes :mrgreen:

59! I wish. Smaller neck, overwound pickups, flame tops, original sunburst! It seems almost everyone who owned one became famous, or so they say. Let's see, bloomfield, green, clapton, gibbons, beck, felder, richards, and page to name a few. I know i'm missing some. I've heard stories that slash played one, but i also read that someone in venice beach or somewhere made him one to those specs. Fascinating guitar, lots of history.

59! I wish. Smaller neck, overwound pickups, flame tops, original sunburst! It seems almost everyone who owned one became famous, or so they say. Let's see, bloomfield, green, clapton, gibbons, beck, felder, richards, and page to name a few. I know i'm missing some. I've heard stories that slash played one, but i also read that someone in venice beach or somewhere made him one to those specs. Fascinating guitar, lots of history.

I once read somewhere that a 59 Les Paul sold for 280.000 at an auction...that's like 210.000 euros. Today's price for an all original 59 is like 400.000 USD. Damn rich ppl.

LPs are great guitars but not my personal fav by gibson.

I once read somewhere that a 59 Les Paul sold for 280.000 at an auction...that's like 210.000 euros. Today's price for an all original 59 is like 400.000 USD. Damn rich ppl.

LPs are great guitars but not my personal fav by gibson.

400,000.00 us right? 4 hundred grand. I think seymour duncan has one also. I also read there was only 600 made? not sure if that's right. Then i think theres a 59 gold top that's worth a fortune also.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of buying a Les Paul (distant prospect as the wallets incredibly thin) but some say that the '90's era les pauls are very good. Any other recommendations for good les pauls from certain eras. (I'd consider an epiphone on the cheap tho)

'59 of course,but if you can't afford one(who can?) you might want to look for a Historic Reissue Les Paul made in the Custom Shop when Tom Murphy was still working there ('93 until November of '94 I think).

3556_p50666.jpg

400,000.00 us right? 4 hundred grand. I think seymour duncan has one also. I also read there was only 600 made? not sure if that's right. Then i think theres a 59 gold top that's worth a fortune also.

Thats right only 643 shipped and 53% of them are logged on My link that means theres a whole nother 301 burst's somewhere around the world! Or destroyed sadly. What I find funny is when you realize that there are more 1959 Les Paul's logged then there are 1958 or 1960 which technically would make them more rare!

Thats right only 643 shipped and 53% of them are logged on My link that means theres a whole nother 301 burst's somewhere around the world! Or destroyed sadly. What I find funny is when you realize that there are more 1959 Les Paul's logged then there are 1958 or 1960 which technically would make them more rare!

wow! Isn't there something special about a 59 goldtop? Thats great info! I would have guessed there were a quarter as many 59's. Thanks

I've heard good things about the early 90s ones. If you're in the states you might want to look on rondomusic.com. I have a strat, and a jazzmaster copy from them, and I've heard great things about the les paul copies. They're really big with people on UG.

That seems like a really cool guitar manufacturer. Their Jaguar copies look awesome. And if the guitars are genuinely good like you say, the pricing is awesome. How do you your strat and jazz copies compare to actual fender versions?