Amp Ideas for Guitar Cabinet

I have a Gallien-Krueger speaker cabinet that has four Celestion G12M-70's in it. It is wired for 8ohms. Currently I was using a 1972 GK 300 watt head but it is just too loud and the amp is so old that it has a tendancy to squeal and be unpredicitable. What heads would be compatable with the cabinet? I doesn't have to be 300 watts by any means. I would actually prefer less if possible because I only really play at home.

I like rock and metal, but enjoy blues and clean tones too. Let me know what you think.

I have a Gallien-Krueger speaker cabinet that has four Celestion G12M-70's in it. It is wired for 8ohms. Currently I was using a 1972 GK 300 watt head but it is just too loud and the amp is so old that it has a tendancy to squeal and be unpredicitable. What heads would be compatable with the cabinet? I doesn't have to be 300 watts by any means. I would actually prefer less if possible because I only really play at home.

I like rock and metal, but enjoy blues and clean tones too. Let me know what you think.

Many many amps will work with 8 ohm 4x12.

What are you budget and preferences? All-tube, semi-tube, all-tranz? 1 channel, 2 channels, 3 channels? :D

• 2 weeks later...

What about the ibanez tsa15h? It's a all tube 5/15 watt with the tube screamer circuit built into the front of the amp. I want one of these. It has a bunch of speaker options and it's 299 bucks. At 3:20 of this video he goes into details about the speaker options. It will do all the stuff you said well except metal. I think a big muff in front and you can get some heavy sounds. Good luck

this

can do metal...

i like this review better

Thanks for the suggestions. I will youtube some of those and listen to the videos posted once I get home from work. I am excited to check them out!

Oh and I just got a Big Muff and a Small Clone Chorus to go with my other pedals.

BLACKHEART KILLER ANT

VOX LIL' NIGHT TRAIN

TRAYNOR DARKHORSE

or maybe

STF electronics Champ Head Kit (I'm thinking about this one, If I manage to let go of my Prosonic head)

I liked the vox, but couldn't find any STF Champ Head. I also like the Ibanez amp as well. Nice cleans and overdrives. The bulgera is pretty cool. I wonder if I could get a warmer clean tone out of it.

I liked the vox, but couldn't find any STF Champ Head. I also like the Ibanez amp as well. Nice cleans and overdrives. The bulgera is pretty cool. I wonder if I could get a warmer clean tone out of it.

Look for'57 Fender Champ videos. STF is a head version in a DIY kit at a much better price.

I have a vox ac-4 and i have to tell you how much i love that amp. It's not a high gain amp by a mile. On the 4 watt setting they have a good bit of headroom and it can get really mean sounding with the right effects in front. You mentioned warm and clean and the ac-4 will certainly do that and do it at decent volumes indoors without really bothering the neighbors. With that said, it is louder than you think. If you want, tell me which guitars you play and i can maybe demo that vox with a guitar similar to what you use in a style similar to what you play. One i forgot to mention was the egnater tweaker. I think i was going to check the cost before i posted about that one. That amp does lots of styles and does them well for the price. It has a very controllable sound if that makes sense. The tone shaping seems endless in other words. You may want to demo that one also. Good luck, it's a win win with any of these choices!

I have a vox ac-4 and i have to tell you how much i love that amp. It's not a high gain amp by a mile. On the 4 watt setting they have a good bit of headroom and it can get really mean sounding with the right effects in front. You mentioned warm and clean and the ac-4 will certainly do that and do it at decent volumes indoors without really bothering the neighbors. With that said, it is louder than you think. If you want, tell me which guitars you play and i can maybe demo that vox with a guitar similar to what you use in a style similar to what you play. One i forgot to mention was the egnater tweaker. I think i was going to check the cost before i posted about that one. That amp does lots of styles and does them well for the price. It has a very controllable sound if that makes sense. The tone shaping seems endless in other words. You may want to demo that one also. Good luck, it's a win win with any of these choices!

A demo would be cool! At the moment I am favoring my Z79 and Agile (Les Paul Clone) because of the awesome warm clean. The Agile has SD 59 in the neck and JB in the bridge. For rock I use my Jag-stang with Blue Lace in the neck and Red Red Lace in the bridge. I would likely use my custom tele once my neck comes for rock. I have a PAF Joe in the neck and a X2N in the bridge. Any of those would be cool. I also have a 85 made in Japan strat I would like to use more than I do. If I had to pick just one, I might go with the Agile or Jag-stang. (I get nervous playing the les paul clone because it is my only new guitar. The rest were all used when I got them. :)) I will check the other amp now.

A demo would be cool! At the moment I am favoring my Z79 and Agile (Les Paul Clone) because of the awesome warm clean. The Agile has SD 59 in the neck and JB in the bridge. For rock I use my Jag-stang with Blue Lace in the neck and Red Red Lace in the bridge. I would likely use my custom tele once my neck comes for rock. I have a PAF Joe in the neck and a X2N in the bridge. Any of those would be cool. I also have a 85 made in Japan strat I would like to use more than I do. If I had to pick just one, I might go with the Agile or Jag-stang. (I get nervous playing the les paul clone because it is my only new guitar. The rest were all used when I got them. :)) I will check the other amp now.

The AC4 and the Night Train are cool sounding. The only draw back to the AC4 for me is it has an 16 ohm out and my cabinet is wired for 8 ohm. I wouldn't want to blow the transformer in the amp or damamge the speakers.

Do these four amp or so amps drive a 4x12 cabinet ok? Almost all the demos use a 1x12 cabinet.

The Jet City JCA20H is fantastic, and it works great with pedals in front of it...I own one

The demo I found on youtube by guitar world was great sounding! I like the cleans and overdrives on it. Definately a contender.

I would need to look for a clean example of the bugera. Both had good distortion, but I didn't really get a good warm clean out of the bugera.

I take it back. The second review with headphones has a nice ckean. What is this "box of rock?" seems intersting.

What is this "box of rock?" seems intersting.

it's supposed to recreate the sound of a Marshall JTM45?! but i don't know man....too many pedals out there.

Bugera are very good value for money.... i use a 333xl after i sold my valveking100 and i'm quite happy with it (....and i haven't heard any serious complaints about them).

yes they are not as good as mesa, marshall, fender but will do the job.

I think jet city has better distortion and kinda sounds brighter.

The AC4 and the Night Train are cool sounding. The only draw back to the AC4 for me is it has an 16 ohm out and my cabinet is wired for 8 ohm. I wouldn't want to blow the transformer in the amp or damamge the speakers.

Do these four amp or so amps drive a 4x12 cabinet ok? Almost all the demos use a 1x12 cabinet.

You mean watts? Will 4 watts drive a stack? Let me show you a video to shatter your image of small watt amps. I have done this also in person and it is loud with one watt, tube, through a stack. I use a blues jr 1 10 cab on the quarter watt setting of my ac-4 and it will certainly surprise you. He's playing my favorite lick ever btw. They call it muddy's lick. I can think of at least 10 songs that use the same exact lick. He is playing brown sugar by zz top. i like the tone a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZsFWO_0IE

it's a pedal made by zvex

I saw the pedal for sale. Looks like it runs around $100-$200. I thought it looked like an amp emulator, but wasn't sure. In the video it looked like the user was boosting and shaping distortion with it. :)

You mean watts? Will 4 watts drive a stack? Let me show you a video to shatter your image of small watt amps. I have done this also in person and it is loud with one watt, tube, through a stack. I use a blues jr 1 10 cab on the quarter watt setting of my ac-4 and it will certainly surprise you. He's playing my favorite lick ever btw. They call it muddy's lick. I can think of at least 10 songs that use the same exact lick. He is playing brown sugar by zz top. i like the tone a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZsFWO_0IE

I have heard that it is possible, but I have also heard people claim using less watts than the speaker cabinet is built for could damage the speakers (by underdriving them) or blow your amp when it tries to drive the speakers. I have heard that matching ohms are the main thing also, so it is hard for me to really know what is correct. I would imagine watts don't matter as much as ohms. The lower watt amps would likely just be quieter overall and be able to be cranked up for natural distortion easier than my 300 watt head.

I was just thinking that I have a Crate BX-50 bass amp with a lot of eq settings. It is a combo but has a speaker out. I might see how that sounds with my cabinet. It is 50 watts and has a 4 ohm or higher speaker out. (Sounds bizarre that it can handle 4 or higher since most amps say what ohms to use, but the manual says 4 or up.)

Should I be using the 0 input or I think there is one that is -15? I would think I would want to use 0 with a guitar since it is designed for bass. I hear some rock musicians are fond of using bass amps for guitar.

Thoughts?

I was just thinking that I have a Crate BX-50 bass amp with a lot of eq settings. It is a combo but has a speaker out. I might see how that sounds with my cabinet. It is 50 watts and has a 4 ohm or higher speaker out. (Sounds bizarre that it can handle 4 or higher since most amps say what ohms to use, but the manual says 4 or up.)

Should I be using the 0 input or I think there is one that is -15? I would think I would want to use 0 with a guitar since it is designed for bass. I hear some rock musicians are fond of using bass amps for guitar.

Thoughts?

I'm lost brother, good luck! I don't know anything about that sorry.

Btw, i read in new guitar world last night that zvex builds a diy kit now that comes with a few interchangeable circuits, ? heard of this yet? It's called inventobox, maybe earth would know if this is good or not? I found a link-

http://www.zvex.com/inventobox.html