Amp Ideas for Guitar Cabinet

About the power missmatch:

1)Having poweramp less powerfull than driven cabinet is not a danger and not a problem in any way.

You are just not pushing them cabinets to their maximum possible power.

That happens every time you are not running your car stereo, radio, TV or any other audio device at maximum volume.

2)Trying to use more powerfull poweramp than the cabinets will most likely end up burning out winding wire in the speaker coil.

In the very same fasion like filament wire burns out in an old lighting bulb.

About the resistance missmatch:

1)Having poweramp output resistance greater than the driven cabinet resistance (for instance: poweramp 8 Ohm, cabinet 4 Ohm) will damage your amp.

2)Having poweramp output resistance lesser than the driven cabinet resistance (for instance: poweramp 4 Ohm, cabinet 8 Ohm) will reduce your poweramp power (twice for my given example numbers), reduce sound level and will distort your sound in a particular way.

If I'm correct this is simmilar to operation of guitar power attenuators.

That bass amp probably will not sound very sweet as it is a solid state.

Ones who use bass amps with guitars mostly use ALL tube amps made by sunn o))) or Ampeg.

As for HI and LO input, bass pickups (and signal) are generally weaker than guitar pickups (and signal).

Most of bass pickups have output similar to very mild, very vintage guitar single coil.

You just need to try both and decide.

• Like 1

1)Having poweramp less powerfull than driven cabinet is not a danger and not a problem in any way.

That happens every time you are not running your car stereo, radio, TV or any other audio device at maximum volume.

2)Trying to use more powerfull poweramp than the cabinets will most likely end up burning out winding wire in the speaker coil.

1)Having poweramp output resistance greater than the driven cabinet resistance (for instance: poweramp 8 Ohm, cabinet 4 Ohm) will damage your amp.

2)Having poweramp output resistance lesser than the driven cabinet resistance (for instance: poweramp 4 Ohm, cabinet 8 Ohm) will reduce your poweramp power (twice for my given example numbers), reduce sound level and will distort your sound in a particular way.

Ones who use bass amps with guitars mostly use ALL tube amps made by sunn o))) or Ampeg.

As for HI and LO input, bass pickups (and signal) are generally weaker than guitar pickups (and signal).

Most of bass pickups have output similar to very mild, very vintage guitar single coil.

Good info, so basically it sounds like it might be ok, but I need to try it out. Worst case scenario is it wouldn't sound good, but shouldn't damage anything. :)

I'm lost brother, good luck! I don't know anything about that sorry.

Btw, i read in new guitar world last night that zvex builds a diy kit now that comes with a few interchangeable circuits, ? heard of this yet? It's called inventobox, maybe earth would know if this is good or not? I found a link-

http://www.zvex.com/inventobox.html

• Like 1

great info, makes perfect sense, thanks.

nice! thanks

I have a 15 watt Randall guitar practice amp. I think it is actually 8ohm out too for it's speaker out. I will try that one and do a video and the 50 watt bass amp too for fun. Probably won't be able to get 'er done until Tuesday or so. I have a guest from Australia using my guest room at the moment and that is where my amps are... LOL

I have a 15 watt Randall guitar practice amp. I think it is actually 8ohm out too for it's speaker out. I will try that one and do a video and the 50 watt bass amp too for fun. Probably won't be able to get 'er done until Tuesday or so. I have a guest from Australia using my guest room at the moment and that is where my amps are... LOL

Well interesting results. The line out on the Randall didn't produce any sound with the speakers. The BX-50 actually doesn't sound bad so I will likely go with that for now until I get some extra cash to get a tube amp. The speaker in the Crate amp is actually going out, so it actually works out. Helps me make use of the amp some more. Video below. Sorry the sound and video (and playing) isn't the best quality. Shot it with my Sony camera real quick.

BX50

Heard this last night and decided to give it a go. Seems simple and every review seemed to love it.

VHT Special 6 Tube Head. $179.00

•6 Watts (3 Watts in Low Power Mode)

•One 12AX7 Preamp Tube and One 6V6 Output Tube

•Volume and Tone Controls

•Footswitchable Boost Mode

•High/Low Power Switch

•4, 8, and 16 Ohm Speaker Jacks

•Mod-Friendly Eyelet-Type Board

•Hand-wired In China

Model: AV-SP1-6

VHT Website

It came! At first it has some quiet crackeling and popping like a record that hit the end of its recording. After letting it run with nothing plugged in to it, that has gone away. I am guessing it was just the tubes breaking in or something because now it is pretty much silent. I ran it for around four hours last night and I will do about four more today to try to make sure it gets some break in time before I play with it too much. I will post an audio sample with some of my guitars a bit later. (My camera is charging. LOL)

5378352718_a31ecac0c6.jpg

DSC08916 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5377754847_a709705d0e.jpg

DSC08920 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5377759423_a5b96d6dfe.jpg

DSC08922 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Any one know how to tell if a speaker is vintage or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220727210538#description

it's a little too cheap to be vintage imo, any thoughts?

The auction ended, so if you wanted them, hopefully you got them. Only way to know is to open it up and look at them. It they are from the 70's you should be able to tell by the look of them.

My cabinet has Celestion GM70's. You can tell they are old (vintage) just looking at them.

5037383137_db8e2b0238.jpg

DSC08419 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Even if they were new, it wouldn't matter, but they are by no means new looking at all. I am more worried about sound than age. Older speakers can sound good, but so can new ones. Same goes with amps. Vintage is a neat look and I do like old things, but I think sound is the main thing when it comes to musical pieces. That ebay listing had no pictures of the speakers. It looks pretty trashed. I would wonder if the speakers even work when the cabinet looks like it was thrown down stairs and set on fire. :)