Alaska J

Frank Zappa's '64 Jazzmaster

I have a 1964 Jazzmaster that was owned by Frank Zappa. However I have no paperwork to substantiate this. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could do so?

I have a 1964 Jazzmaster that was owned by Frank Zappa. However I have no paperwork to substantiate this. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could do so?

Tough to prove that sort of stuff without a photo of you and him with the guitar. Even those certificates of authenticity can be made by someone with good photoshop skills and nice printing paper. If you are keeping it and it is true, that should be enough for you, but proving it to someone else is much more difficult. I suppose if there was a list of his guitars with the serial numbers listed and you had one on the list, that could work, but I don't think a lot of musicians maintain a list of their guitar's serial numbers. Even if they did, those could be forged too if it a guitar with a stamped on metal serial number.

Have his wife or son substantiate the facts behind the guitar.

That is a good point I hadn't considered. If you can get them to sign something and get it notarized, that is about the best you could do. Maybe a photo with you and one of them would work too showing you together at least has some connection proof.

Can you post pics of the guitar please? I'm a Zappa FANATIC and would love to see this little piece of history.

Heck, my avatar over at Squier-Talk is a pic of Frank playing what may well be the very Jazzy you now own!!! I'd give up my firstborn son for that thing.