Quick Vote on Mustang Purchase Today

HNB

Mustang Project  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What Should I Do?

• Buy a Mustang with parts already removed for around $500
    • Buy a new Mustang and mod it

I am looking at getting a MIJ RI Mustang. I want to route the bridge for a humbucker, lock the tail piece, and instal a JB in the bridge.

I found a Mustang online for about $550 with the tail piece already locked and some parts removed. The body is red and is listed as being free of scratches and such.

There are also blue Mustangs that are new I have found for about $750 or so. I kind of want a blue Mustang, but the cost difference and it being new makes me think I would be afraid to take it apart and route it.

What are your thoughts? The $550 seems like a good deal to me even though it is red. (I have a red strat and jagstang, so I was thinking blue might be fun for a different color option.)

Sorry for the last minuteness. I am interested in people opinions. (Yes I know some of you hate people who mod their guitars, but I enjoy making a guitar more for me.)

I thought about maybe getting the blue one and buying a duplicate set of parts so I could keep the stock stuff somewhere if I ever wanted to change it back. The only thing I wouldn't be able to convert back to stock would be the humbucker route. I don't want to do a single coil sized humbucker. I like the big ones. :)

No striped bodies in '65...not til, what, about 1969 or '70?

Doug

Looks like I am getting the red one. The seller is going to let me have it for $500 including shipping. Seemed like a good deal. It gives me almost $300 more to go towards parts and such. I like the blue, but I think I would be afraid to play it. Having that problem with my Agile gold top and it was only $650. LOL The red one is cool. It would be a fun photo op to have my Fiesta Jagstang next to my Dakota Red Mustang. :) Oh and my red Strat. All three being MIJ makes it funny too.

Now the issue of where to find a pickguard that will fit this MIJ '65 Reissue that has a humbucker route in the bridge. (Straight, not angled humbucker like a Jagstang.)

Here is a link to some pics of it's current condition.

Click

5406206629_81d479836e.jpg

DSCF9607 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Info from the seller:

"This Fender Mustang 65 Reissue MIJ is a 9/10 overall.

It is dent, paint chip and ding free on the body, neck and the front and back headstock

The wiring and switches was removed completely.

The Mustang is wired to a single Seymour Duncan JB JR Bridge with a 500k Volume pot only (So the tone is always at 10) with a new Switchcraft jack. So this Mustang is hum free from the 60 cycle hum of the single coils because of the JB JR.

The back of the guitar is Mint.

The sometimes, not all the times, unstable dynamic vibrato was locked with washers. So the springs were removed.

The guitar action and relief is just were it needs to be by Fender standards and is tuned 1/2 Step below standard on D'Addario .11-.52

The bridge post has been taped with electric tape to stop the bridge from rocking in the mount cups.

Never was the guitar gigged, nor dropped.

The guitar body is poplar.

The fingerboard is nice and clean.

The frets have minimal wear.

The tuners are scratched and dinged due to the Planet Waves Pro Winder (Dont Get One Unless You Have Steel Tuners)

The pickguard has some pick scratches

I recommend getting a replacement Mustang bridge.

Whats included:

Fender Mustang Dakota Red

Vibrato Arm and Springs and Small Black Screw to Hold Arm

D'Addario EXL 116 Strings (.11-.52)

D'Addario .11 .14 .18 Single

1 Hex Screw for the Bridge

1 Hex Screw for the Vibrato Setup

Overall a great guitar for anyone. Its a real simple guitar."

Looks like I am getting the red one. The seller is going to let me have it for $500 including shipping. Seemed like a good deal. It gives me almost $300 more to go towards parts and such. I like the blue, but I think I would be afraid to play it. Having that problem with my Agile gold top and it was only $650. LOL The red one is cool. It would be a fun photo op to have my Fiesta Jagstang next to my Dakota Red Mustang. :) Oh and my red Strat. All three being MIJ makes it funny too.

Congratulations. It seems to be in very good condition. Have fun!

Doug

Congratulations. It seems to be in very good condition. Have fun!

Doug

Thanks! It didn't win on votes, but since I am going to take most of the stock stuff out, this one in process that is cheaper will probably work out well. With the extra money I saved I can pick up the stuff I need to get this one to 100%.

Put your Dakota Red Mustang next to your Fiesta Red Jag-Stang and take a photo the no-nothing kids arguing

about shades of Fender reds can see the difference.

:D

I've got a guitar being modded now as well, it's always a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy it.

I thought about doing that. :) Dakota Red vs Fiesta Red. :)

• 1 month later...

best to buy anything Fender Japan now before stocks are depleted as we aren't likely to see anything new from the factories in Japan for quite some time b/c of all the devastation... Sucks for anyone that may have been saving to order one... Not likely that anything pple bid on ebay that originated out of Japan will likely ever be shipped... At least not for a long time anyway...

best to buy anything Fender Japan now before stocks are depleted as we aren't likely to see anything new from the factories in Japan for quite some time b/c of all the devastation... Sucks for anyone that may have been saving to order one... Not likely that anything pple bid on ebay that originated out of Japan will likely ever be shipped... At least not for a long time anyway...

sad to say - I very much agree on this :| what happened to Japan sucks man

Got the 6mm bolts to do the hard tail conversion today. (Washers too.) Here is how it looks.

5527282077_fe9242ac7f.jpg

DSC09159 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5527282245_50bdf7ac93.jpg

DSC09161 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

I also added tape to my bridge to help make it more stable.

5527282687_5df106a239.jpg

DSC09164 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Here it is installed with my stuff set in. Still need to finish the wiring before strings can go on.

5527874062_fd5e1304c4.jpg

DSC09167 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr