HNB

Strat Single Coil Pickups

I am thinking about taking the bridge pickup on my 1985 strat out and putting a JB Jr in it. Is there any reason I couldn't take that bridge pickup and put it in as the neck one in my incoming Mustang? Is there something about each pickup on a strat that makes it only good for the spot it is placed? I wonder how people could tell them apart in a package if this is the case.

It'll be too bright you put it in the neck position because bridge pickups are usually hotter. Based on my experience.

I did it to my Cyclone and i received a comment that my guitar is too bright. it was a 7.4 Kohms vintage voiced pickup btw. I ended up replacing the neck pickup with a 62 reissue neck (6.0 KOhms) which is a warmer neck pickup.

But I think having a neck pickup within 6 to 7 Kohms would not make a lot of difference.

I also found out that even with the neck pickups, different types got different characteristics. These are the only neck pickups I have tried though - tex mex, vintage 54 type, vintage 62 reissue .

Just today I just replaced my mustang's neck tex mex with a Tesla VR-1 (a vintage '54 type- cheap korean brand but having a lot of good reviews here in Singapore).

It'll be too bright you put it in the neck position because bridge pickups are usually hotter. Based on my experience.

I did it to my Cyclone and i received a comment that my guitar is too bright. it was a 7.4 Kohms vintage voiced pickup btw. I ended up replacing the neck pickup with a 62 reissue neck (6.0 KOhms) which is a warmer neck pickup.

But I think having a neck pickup within 6 to 7 Kohms would not make a lot of difference.

I also found out that even with the neck pickups, different types got different characteristics. These are the only neck pickups I have tried though - tex mex, vintage 54 type, vintage 62 reissue .

Just today I just replaced my mustang's neck tex mex with a Tesla VR-1 (a vintage '54 type- cheap korean brand but having a lot of good reviews here in Singapore).

If I want a hotter neck pickup, would a brighter pickup be bad? I actually kind of want the brightness. :)

Anyone know if the stock neck pickup in a Jagstang has adjustable poles? I moved mine around because they got bumped in and want to know (without putting them in a guitar and soldering) if I messed them up or not. Might be a good neck option for my Mustang if they are ok. I hear a bridge pickup in the neck slot is hotter, but also darker and more bassy since they are supposed to be set up to compensate for their place under the strings towards the bottom of the body.

If I want a hotter neck pickup, would a brighter pickup be bad? I actually kind of want the brightness. :)

It's not bad. It also balances the hotness and volume of bridge humbucker.

In my opinion, there is really no difference. If you are talking about 'vintage-voiced' strat pickups, the output levels might be something like N=6.0, M=6.5, B=7.0. The difference in 'hotness' between a 7.0 and a 6.0 would not be so bad as to be intolerable. Heck, I would barely notice it.

I have a 10k output hotrail in the neck position of my strat, and two singles of about 6.5 and 7.0 in the bridge. I keep the hotrail mounted low, and the other two a bit higher to keep the balance. No biggie.

Personally, I like all 3 pickups to be at about the same level because I use them all for the same reasons, I just choose based on my mood.

Also, I really doubt if the neck pickup in a Jag-Stang has adjustable poles. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a single coil pickup with adjustable poles.

In summary, I think the difference between 'hotness' would be barely noticible, and there is not specific 'design difference' between neck and bridge pickups except for the amount of windings. The only hiccup might be if you have a pickup set that is designed for a hotter bridge sound.

In my opinion, there is really no difference. If you are talking about 'vintage-voiced' strat pickups, the output levels might be something like N=6.0, M=6.5, B=7.0. The difference in 'hotness' between a 7.0 and a 6.0 would not be so bad as to be intolerable. Heck, I would barely notice it.

I have a 10k output hotrail in the neck position of my strat, and two singles of about 6.5 and 7.0 in the bridge. I keep the hotrail mounted low, and the other two a bit higher to keep the balance. No biggie.

Personally, I like all 3 pickups to be at about the same level because I use them all for the same reasons, I just choose based on my mood.

Also, I really doubt if the neck pickup in a Jag-Stang has adjustable poles. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a single coil pickup with adjustable poles.

In summary, I think the difference between 'hotness' would be barely noticible, and there is not specific 'design difference' between neck and bridge pickups except for the amount of windings. The only hiccup might be if you have a pickup set that is designed for a hotter bridge sound.

Two of the poles in my Jagstang neck pickup got pushed in from the top. I pushed them back out from the back of the pickup and then read that them having moved like that could have messed them up. I guess I need to test them somehow to see their power output.