I've tried to learn guitar in the past from people teaching me. But as it turns out they were very unreliable people. Since I could not get them organized, I eventually gave up and sold my guitar and amp. But I recently decided I must learn to play this instrument. I bought myself a Squier Jagmaster and I'm trying to figure out what kind of material I can use to learn how to play.

Anyone suggest any books or DVDs? I hope I can get some answers here. I really would like to learn how to play Nirvana and Nirvana-like songs. But I also would eventually like to learn how to play stuff like Modest Mouse, White Stripes, stuff like that.

I would recommend going on ultimate-guitar.com, and looking up the tabs for the songs you want to learn. You should also go into the lessons section, and maybe create an account so you can ask for help in the technique forum.

As for Nirvana, you can't really pick a bad song to learn from them if you're just starting out. All of the songs are pretty simple, and they're great for beginners. Same goes for White stripes in my opinion. I can't say much about Modest mouse since I don't listen to them, but as for White stripes, and Nirvana you should be able to learn easily.

If you need any more help with anything, create your account and send me a PM with any questions. I have the same name on there, and I'll be glad to help.:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Check out homespuntapes.com Look at Guitar player and Guitar world Magazine for the instructional

DVD's. Under google.com type in : DVD instructional guitar lessons

Like Black Monkey said. Practice; you will build up dexterity and your fingertips.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

HI..

I started recently aswell, i just went on the internet and kind a taught myself

Start learning chords to help your fingers get ready and muscular endurance and memory and then learn how to read tab, and theres a great webiste called songsterr

http://www.songsterr.com/

It has loads of songs the tab for it and you can play it to see how it should sound,

I first started learning bob marley redemption song

It used to be really hard (despite being in the beginners bit)

Its really easy now

Dont give up though

Thanks

Treasa Savinar

• 2 months later...

I second irish_punk. Use Ultimate-Guitar.com to look up tabs for a lot of your favorite songs. Learning Nirvana songs is a great start though, because of how simple they are. Also, they use a lot of power chords which will be helpful for you when you start looking to come up with your own riffs. I would also recommend learning as many standard chords as you can as they are also helpful in song-writing. Start with the major chords, then learn the minor chords, then you could start learning some of the more unique chords or even finding your own on the fretboard. Learning scales is helpful if you are looking to play lead guitar, but judging by your musical interests, I am assuming you want to play rhythm guitar, and chords of all kind are a great place to begin. Good luck and don't give up, it's a very rewarding hobby.

With all tasks, the only word you really need to know is PRACTICE. You can be as good as anyone with that.