Kurt: which albums had which guitars

anyone out there know which guitars were used on which albums by Kurt? did he use a jagstang to record In Utero? what was his preference during Nevermind, a strat or a mustang?

What is above is good. Jag = Jaguar not Jagstang. If I remember correctly, he didn't do any recording with a Jagstang. I am not positive he ever used it live. He used Mustangs during In Utero live the majority of the time. The Jagstang wasn't up to his liking before he died so that is probably why he didn't perform or record with it.

What is above is good. Jag = Jaguar not Jagstang. If I remember correctly, he didn't do any recording with a Jagstang. I am not positive he ever used it live. He used Mustangs during In Utero live the majority of the time. The Jagstang wasn't up to his liking before he died so that is probably why he didn't perform or record with it.

thanks....yeah, I know he never used a jagstang live but wasn't sure if one ever made it into the studio (I probably wouldn't record with a stock jagstang either)-I know he was shipped a jagstang or two for the utero tour, did they send him a red one or a blue one? just curious if he ever actually played or saw a red one as fiesta blue was his color choice. What kind of strat did he have/use-was it all single coils or was it a super strat?

thanks....yeah, I know he never used a jagstang live but wasn't sure if one ever made it into the studio (I probably wouldn't record with a stock jagstang either)-I know he was shipped a jagstang or two for the utero tour, did they send him a red one or a blue one? just curious if he ever actually played or saw a red one as fiesta blue was his color choice. What kind of strat did he have/use-was it all single coils or was it a super strat?

No idea on what one he had. It is easily likely he had one of each if not more. For his Strats, here is a list from kurtsequipment.com

"1 ). Two all-white Fender Strats with 3 white single-coil sized pickups. The stock pickups were replaced with Seymour Duncan Hot rails, white or black at any given time because these pickups damaged easily. Both guitars also had various necks (41). One was used at the MTV Video Music Awards in 1992 for "Lithium" (seen 47) and had the serial # K 039704 (59). This Strat was trashed at the Seattle Center in 1992 and the other one, serial # K 039702 (59), at Argentina (59)(41).

2 ). White Fender Strat with 2 white single-coil sized pickups and tilted black bridge humbucker. Had the "K" sticker (seen 37 and also quickly in two of the segments in between "Sliver" and "On a Plain" in (16)). (Owned before the above two other all-white strats) (41)..

3 ). All-black Fender Strat, black pickguard, 2 white single-coil sized pickups and a black full-sized humbucker in the bridge, used as early as 1991 (15). Serial # I 006414. The bridge humbucker was either a Seymour Duncan JB or a '59. The last tone knob had come off (59). Had the sticker, "Vandalism: As beautiful as a rock in a cop's face" (seen 15) and "Courtesy of the Feederz: Office of Anti-Public relations" (41). The neck was replaced with a Fernandes neck for the 10/31/91 Seattle Paramount Theater show (seen 15, 16, 10) where it was broken off again and replaced. This guitar was smashed in Paris in the spring of 1992 or the winter of 1991 (41). Another neck picture. Another picture.

4 ). Black Fender Strat with a white pickguard, two single-coil sized pickups and a full-sized black humbucker in the bridge (had a chrome ring around it)(seen pg. 177 on (25)). Had a chrome Tune-O-Matic bridge and a stop chrome tailpiece (41). It was smashed during the recording of "Endless, Nameless" for "Nevermind" ("Nevermind" 33)(25)(41). Once fixed, it had a black pickguard and black pickups which made it look like the all-black Strat above, except with a Tune-O-Matic bridge (41). Currently at the Hard Rock Cafe (59).

5 ). Kurt has also been seen with a sunburst Strat with a white pickguard and three white single-coil sized pickups (seen 15 and pg. 273 on (25)). Smashed in Florida. Earnie built it for Kurt out of Stewart MacDonald parts. The bridge and pickguard assembly were leftovers. Earnie put an aftermarket Fender decal on it (41).

6 ). Black Fender Strat, white pickguard, which was set up like the all white Fender Strats and also from around the same time. It had a black Seymore Duncan Hot Rails pickup in the bridge. Dave smashed this guitar at the Reading Festival in 1992 (seen 48)(seen pg. 274 of (25))(41). According to BBC Radio 1's sound engineer, Miti Adhikari: "That gig was mental - there were so many people trying to get a slice of the pie backstage, it was undignified. There was a Radio 1 producer who had negotiated to give away Kurt's guitar after the gig in a competition, but the band trashed everything in sight at the end. So afterwards this guy was wandering around with a big bag collecting the pieces." (61). This guitar wound up at the Boston Hard Rock Cafe (59)(15) seen here. (UPDATED 09/06/04).

7 ). Black Fender Strat, white pickguard, which was set up like the previous Strat #6. This guitar was reduced to splinters by Kurt at Sao Paulo in January of 1993. Kurt can be seen handing the broken halves of the body out to the audience in pro shot footage of this show seen here (15). (UPDATED 09/06/04).

8 ). Candy apple red Japanese '57 Fender Strat reissue (41), serial # 0 035626 (59), early-style white Seymour Duncan hot stock pickup. Cost $200. It had a maple neck (Earnie Bailey switched to a rosewood neck which Kurt like better) and white single ply pickguard . It was smashed during the east coast leg of the In Utero tour (41).

9 ). Kurt used 5 or 6 black Fender Mexican Strats with white pickguards and black Seymour Duncan Hot rails in the bridge during the In Utero tour, used mostly for smashing (seen 16). They were pieced back together all the time (41).

(^ back to top ^)

**Note on Kurt's Kramer Strat necks: "we had about 5-6 of those necks, that one was still on that guitar at Reading. The others appeared on the Vandalism strat, white strats, and endless nameless strat, and the sunburst strat. In early to mid 1992 we got a batch (5-7?) of Japanese made fender necks, the sao paulo strat, sunburst and both white ones had necks changed from Kramers to Fenders per Kurt's request. The leftover kramer necks were given away in 1992 and 1993"(59). (UPDATED 09/06/04)."