I'm hoping to get a Fender Jaguar really really soon and was wondering what pickups would be better suited for an indie rock style genre? I like bands like Bloc Party, New Order, Arctic Monkeys, Supercar (Japanese band), and Silversun Pickups. I've been thinking about Lace pickups, but I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*since supercar is a Japanese band, you probably never heard of them. Here's a song for a general idea*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQStWTndcq8&feature=related

I'm hoping to get a Fender Jaguar really really soon and was wondering what pickups would be better suited for an indie rock style genre? I like bands like Bloc Party, New Order, Arctic Monkeys, Supercar (Japanese band), and Silversun Pickups. I've been thinking about Lace pickups, but I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*since supercar is a Japanese band, you probably never heard of them. Here's a song for a general idea. I like how the telecaster sounds*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8sY-YtkJlM

Telecasters can be really bright. I would look up what they bands you like use in their guitars. You probably wouldn't get the exact same sound of course, but closer to their sound than using a different pickup entirely. There are so many pickups that can have a good sound that I would suggest going to youtube and seeing what people doing covers of that music use too if you can't find the bands equipment online.

Telecasters can be really bright. I would look up what they bands you like use in their guitars. You probably wouldn't get the exact same sound of course, but closer to their sound than using a different pickup entirely. There are so many pickups that can have a good sound that I would suggest going to youtube and seeing what people doing covers of that music use too if you can't find the bands equipment online.

I have a Tele, but I never really modified it because I didn't want to put money into it for now at least. I like the guitar, but it just isn't the one meant for me. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure as a musician you get what I mean. I picked up a Jaguar the other day at a music store and just fell in love with it and now I am dedicated to buy one really really soon. I love the look and the feel, but I just want it to be a bit crunchier like these bands. Sometimes I fear Youtube for checking out pickups because some of the cameras that the people use have horrible sound quality and it's really hard to judge what it would sound like in person. It's a good start though I guess.

I have a Tele, but I never really modified it because I didn't want to put money into it for now at least. I like the guitar, but it just isn't the one meant for me. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure as a musician you get what I mean. I picked up a Jaguar the other day at a music store and just fell in love with it and now I am dedicated to buy one really really soon. I love the look and the feel, but I just want it to be a bit crunchier like these bands. Sometimes I fear Youtube for checking out pickups because some of the cameras that the people use have horrible sound quality and it's really hard to judge what it would sound like in person. It's a good start though I guess.

I totally know what you mean. I have made several bad recordings on youtube, but at least you get a rough idea of the sound to narrow your choices down. It is good to go with what feels good to you since sound can be altered a lot by pickups and amp. I have seen Tele's used for metal and for country. Check out J5's telecaster. He SHREDS with it. I guess what I am saying is go with what feels good and make it work. I seem to see Hot Rails mentioned for crunch a lot and JB's. My guitar that is for more hard rock or metal has an X2N in the bridge and a PAF Joe in the neck. Go to DiMarzio's site and they have audio samples of their pickups in use you can listen to. I think Fender does as well. Not sure about Seymour Duncan.

I totally know what you mean. I have made several bad recordings on youtube, but at least you get a rough idea of the sound to narrow your choices down. It is good to go with what feels good to you since sound can be altered a lot by pickups and amp. I have seen Tele's used for metal and for country. Check out J5's telecaster. He SHREDS with it. I guess what I am saying is go with what feels good and make it work. I seem to see Hot Rails mentioned for crunch a lot and JB's. My guitar that is for more hard rock or metal has an X2N in the bridge and a PAF Joe in the neck. Go to DiMarzio's site and they have audio samples of their pickups in use you can listen to. I think Fender does as well. Not sure about Seymour Duncan.

That's awesome you get what I'm saying and thanks a lot for the help! I'm gonna check out the DiMarzio's right now :-cool

• 1 year later...

Hi so i play a Squire Thinline and i put TV jones classics in mine, they sound great....also check out dynasonics...they are really good for our type of music...I play what we wanna call dance rock (ex: Two Door Cinema Club, Walk the Moon, etc)...also a compressor pedal really shapes up your sound too. I use a MXR Custom Comp....it was a decent price and you can adjust it to sound as tight or slinky as you would like. Hope this helps man.

Seems like all of those bands are just relying on pedals for a lo-fi sound, if that is what you are after. I didn't listen to anything as I don't have headphones at the moment, but on a Google search I see all of those bands are using really any single-coil Fender. I would look into Stratocasters, Telecasters, Jaguars, Jazzmasters, Mustangs, etc. Some of the older guitars are great for this style of music too, like a Bronco, Musicmaster, or Duo-Sonic. Hope this helps just a bit. I would go try out a huge amount of guitars whenever possible before you decide.