Help with capacitors

Hello, i'm new at this forum and i need advice about the value of the capacitors on jaguars and mustangs, thats because i want to change the one in mi guitar (jtk4, .0022uF. I just saw jaguar's are .003 but i got confused if they're this or .01, wich one os better if i want to emulate (at posible) the tone of a jaguar? I also want versatility in tone, cause i play from jazz to alternative/experimental. Thank yo very much.

Hello, i'm new at this forum and i need advice about the value of the capacitors on jaguars and mustangs, thats because i want to change the one in mi guitar (jtk4, .0022uF. I just saw jaguar's are .003 but i got confused if they're this or .01, wich one os better if i want to emulate (at posible) the tone of a jaguar? I also want versatility in tone, cause i play from jazz to alternative/experimental. Thank yo very much.

welcome to the forum.

i would suggest 0,022uf caps for your jet king which are the best in my opinion for PAF type pups. If you want a more brightened up sound try smaller values than that like 0,015 or 0,01 uf.

Cheers.

welcome to the forum.

i would suggest 0,022uf caps for your jet king which are the best in my opinion for PAF type pups. If you want a more brightened up sound try smaller values than that like 0,015 or 0,01 uf.

Cheers.

I was thinkin about 0,003uf. Will that make it too bright?? I`ve read: ''The 0.022uF value is still the standard today. If you need very dark and bassy tones, this value may work for you. For most of us, however, this value is much too large and the effect is more or less useless, resulting in the aforementioned problem of the effect only taking place between 10 and 8. The solution to the problem is simply a tone cap with a much smaller value. This little change will enhance the usability of your tone control dramatically, giving you a good evenness among the complete taper of the tone control without any hotspots, and every movement of the pot will result in a change of tone.'' Is that right??

I was thinkin about 0,003uf. Will that make it too bright?? I`ve read: ''The 0.022uF value is still the standard today. If you need very dark and bassy tones, this value may work for you. For most of us, however, this value is much too large and the effect is more or less useless, resulting in the aforementioned problem of the effect only taking place between 10 and 8. The solution to the problem is simply a tone cap with a much smaller value. This little change will enhance the usability of your tone control dramatically, giving you a good evenness among the complete taper of the tone control without any hotspots, and every movement of the pot will result in a change of tone.'' Is that right??

smaller cap values are used to brighten up exceptionally dark sounding guitars, might also add extra bite to your sound. Humbuckers have less highs because of phase cancellation and use a brighter cap like 0.022uf or 0.033uf. As I said experiment with smaller value capacitors like 0,015 or 0,01uf and see how it goes.

smaller cap values are used to brighten up exceptionally dark sounding guitars, might also add extra bite to your sound. Humbuckers have less highs because of phase cancellation and use a brighter cap like 0.022uf or 0.033uf. As I said experiment with smaller value capacitors like 0,015 or 0,01uf and see how it goes.

That is cool info to know. I didn't know how capacitors changed sound, so that helps make it more straight-forward.

Smaller or higher??? 0,022 > 0,015 > 0,01 > 0,003 the smaller value is .003uf, or did you mean smaller than .022uf already on the circit??? Anyway .003uf is too small then?? If that gives lots of usability of the tone knob is then recommended or not? that's actually my doubt: 0,003uf is too low then?

Smaller or higher??? 0,022 > 0,015 > 0,01 > 0,003 the smaller value is .003uf, or did you mean smaller than .022uf already on the circit??? Anyway .003uf is too small then?? If that gives lots of usability of the tone knob is then recommended or not? that's actually my doubt: 0,003uf is too low then?

I am guessing smaller than the 0.022 being used. Trial and error. Give it a shot. Only takes a minute to solder and test it. Just don't screw everything down until you are happy.

As far as cap values go, the higher the value, the darker the tone at any given point in the pot rotation. A 0.003uf value cap filters less and i don't know if anyone uses them for humbuckers. Some other forum member might know more about that. A tone cap filters off some of the high frequencies to ground, it doesn't physically add highs or lows it just filters what your pup gives. A 0,.003uf I think it would have an effect as having no cap at all?! kinda like EVH's frankestrat. I would go for 0.01uf. Emulating the jaguar sound with humbuckers is a bit tricky as jaguars have more highs than any guitar i know.

Try them all and choose the one you like ... tell us how you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i decided for .01UF but the problem is still there :s. I watched these diagrams:

http://www.aulaactual.com/especiales/circuitos1/circuito2.gif

http://www.premierguitar.com/issue/webexclusive/images/200702_telewiringtricks_3.jpg

Mine have that additional cap at volume knob, but is not .001uf, its .022uf, would this be causing the trouble???

I want to replace it for the correct value and do that 50's wiring on the second URL, what do you think bout it?

Well i decided for .01UF but the problem is still there :s. I watched these diagrams:

http://www.aulaactual.com/especiales/circuitos1/circuito2.gif

http://www.premierguitar.com/issue/webexclusive/images/200702_telewiringtricks_3.jpg

Mine have that additional cap at volume knob, but is not .001uf, its .022uf, would this be causing the trouble???

I want to replace it for the correct value and do that 50's wiring on the second URL, what do you think bout it?

The first diagram is a treble retention circuit, ie stops the tone going muddy as you roll off he volume. .001uf normal but .0006 to .001 possible. Often a resistor(about 220k in parallel) is fitted to limit the amount of bypass.

The second diagram is a tone circuit, ie cap wired from the tone pot wiper to ground. Anything under .01uf on this will render the tone control fairly thin.

Try a .01 on the tone & .001 on the treble retention. Sometimes a resistor need to be fitted in the retention circuit if the tone gets too bright when you roll off the volume.

Be wary of your rig / setup. Check tone & retention with a good lead plugged directly into your amp. Then, check it through your pedals(if you have any). Sometimes a buffer / Booster is required.

The first diagram is a treble retention circuit, ie stops the tone going muddy as you roll off he volume. .001uf normal but .0006 to .001 possible. Often a resistor(about 220k in parallel) is fitted to limit the amount of bypass.

The second diagram is a tone circuit, ie cap wired from the tone pot wiper to ground. Anything under .01uf on this will render the tone control fairly thin.

Try a .01 on the tone & .001 on the treble retention. Sometimes a resistor need to be fitted in the retention circuit if the tone gets too bright when you roll off the volume.

Be wary of your rig / setup. Check tone & retention with a good lead plugged directly into your amp. Then, check it through your pedals(if you have any). Sometimes a buffer / Booster is required.

Great thread, guys. Here's my question...

A buddy's been encouraging me to put a Sprague Bumblebee in my reissue Duo-Sonic. Before making my decision, I played it the other night through several amps and pedals. I got so many tones that I began to wonder what I would actually accomplish by changing the cap?

imho ...changing caps won't change your sound radically as if you changed pickups.... especially if you use same value ones.

Good quality caps is a good cheap tone upgrade like good quality wire or good quality pots.

Bumblebees are very expensive an pretty hard to find. You can use orange drops, cornell-dubiliers, mallories or vitamin Qs and have the same result. :wink:

imho ...changing caps won't change your sound radically as if you changed pickups.... especially if you use same value ones.

Good quality caps is a good cheap tone upgrade like good quality wire or good quality pots.

Bumblebees are very expensive an pretty hard to find. You can use orange drops, cornell-dubiliers, mallories or vitamin Qs and have the same result. :wink:

Thanks, Vast. I'm relatively new to electric guitars. I think what I'm learning as I talk to people like you who know more than I do, is that the amp and its settings add a world of tone to any decent guitar.

Then the peripherals, pedals, boxes, etc. add a universe of tones to that. So fine-tuning my axe with an upgrade cap will be barely noticeable. At least to my neophyte ears.

Doug

Thanks, Vast. I'm relatively new to electric guitars. I think what I'm learning as I talk to people like you who know more than I do, is that the amp and its settings add a world of tone to any decent guitar.

Then the peripherals, pedals, boxes, etc. add a universe of tones to that. So fine-tuning my axe with an upgrade cap will be barely noticeable. At least to my neophyte ears.

Doug

I totally agree with you.....disagree on the "know more than you do" and "neophyte" parts though :wink: .

The jaguars sound is the complete sum of all its parts and putting jaguar value caps or pickups in another guitar wont sound like a jaguar.

so true!

Earth how are you man.... haven't seen you for a while....

Kind of related, but doing a tone pot install last night and must say, Orange Drops are HUGE. LOL

Do you have pics of your new pot n' orange?

huge caps?....take a look at this C-D PIO 0.047uf cap i have on my baritone sidejack :blink: ....

super sweet as a bumblebee.... does a great job with P90s.

sidejackbaritonewiring.jpg