Jaguar HH tail piece conversion with pics

Hey guys,

I got tired of the modern look of my MIJ Jaguar HH, and wanted to convert it to a more vintage style. So far I have installed the tremolo, which required drilling a hole in the body to accommodate the spring and plate connected to the tremolo tailpiece

Mods on their way:

-66 Vintage RI neck pickup

-Classic player single coil Bridge pickup

-Mint green pickguard

I need some advice on installing the new single coil pickups though. I have never done this, but I am assuming all I need to do is cut the humbuckers wire and solder the single coil wire into the existing line. Is it really that easy or will I need to change the pots etc?

mailgooglecom0251111026.jpg

mailgooglecom0335143034.jpg

mailgooglecom0369010037.jpg

mailgooglecom0381640038.jpg

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

final pics: from this: to this:

Good work, i like to see self done rough DIY on guitars. I routed my jaguar out for humbuckers freehand with a $40 router i bought, I wanted to make a jagblaster so it was the easiest way to do it. Th

It arrived today. Bigsby hasn't come yet, but here it is stock. DSC09153 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Hey guys,

I got tired of the modern look of my MIJ Jaguar HH, and wanted to convert it to a more vintage style. So far I have installed the tremolo, which required drilling a hole in the body to accommodate the spring and plate connected to the tremolo tailpiece

Mods on their way:

-66 Vintage RI neck pickup

-Classic player single coil Bridge pickup

-Mint green pickguard

I need some advice on installing the new single coil pickups though. I have never done this, but I am assuming all I need to do is cut the humbuckers wire and solder the single coil wire into the existing line. Is it really that easy or will I need to change the pots etc?

mailgooglecom0251111026.jpg

mailgooglecom0335143034.jpg

mailgooglecom0369010037.jpg

mailgooglecom0381640038.jpg

Thanks for the help!

i would change the pots anyway... but why change these pups man....this jag looks killer!!!

Is changing the pots required though? I would like to avoid that if possible. Can the pots that came on this HH model, work with Single coil pickups?

what pups are you going for?

right now your jag has 500K pots i think.....?

standard jag pots are 1Meg. If you leave the 500K your sound will be less trembly.

changing pots and caps is not required , highly recommended though as fender japan is not famous for their high quality wiring.

i would do it just cause it's a cheap upgrade.

what pups are you going for?

right now your jag has 500K pots i think.....?

standard jag pots are 1Meg. If you leave the 500K your sound will be less trembly.

changing pots and caps is not required , highly recommended though as fender japan is not famous for their high quality wiring.

i would do it just cause it's a cheap upgrade.

Awesome! thanks for the feedback. I am installing a fender 66 vintage single coil jaguar pickup in the neck, and a classic player hot single coil in the bridge

I'd be interested in hearing how much you are spending to get what is a CP Jag?

I paid $600 out the door for a new one from 2008.

Well, the main thing I wanted was a Frankenstein guitar, and the black painted headstock. I got the Jag HH for free, and so far have paid $100 in parts for the tailpiece, the two single coil pickups and the new mint green pick guard. The classic players are awesome, but I dont think there is an option for a black one at the moment so using the HH special edition was a good option for me

I just got the pickups wired up, now waiting for the pick guard which is supposed to arrive today, ill post pics asap!

Still have the stock pots in there. It sounds good hooked up to "virtual" amps in Logic, but I still need to give it the real test through my Mesa

How did you center the new bridge and all that to make sure it got put in the right spot?

How did you center the new bridge and all that to make sure it got put in the right spot?

There is basically a "sweet spot". When you remove the original tail piece (gibson style stop tail) there is two big holes in the body. The new Jaguar tremolo tail covers up these holes within 1/10 of a mm. If you move the bridge down a hair, the holes will show, if you move it up, the holes will show, left, the holes will show...etc

Getting the angle correct was pretty much just luck though

There is basically a "sweet spot". When you remove the original tail piece (gibson style stop tail) there is two big holes in the body. The new Jaguar tremolo tail covers up these holes within 1/10 of a mm. If you move the bridge down a hair, the holes will show, if you move it up, the holes will show, left, the holes will show...etc

Getting the angle correct was pretty much just luck though

LOL Nice! :) I might be trying this out soon.

Just got it. :) Found it on ebay for $582 with shipping!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230593615873&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Not sure if I will do the bridge conversion yet. I don't use the tremelo when I play, but I like the classic look of the traditional tail piece. I will have to think on it. I will probably change out the knobs and pickups though. Have to wait and see still.

Just got it. :) Found it on ebay for $582 with shipping!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230593615873&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Not sure if I will do the bridge conversion yet. I don't use the tremelo when I play, but I like the classic look of the traditional tail piece. I will have to think on it. I will probably change out the knobs and pickups though. Have to wait and see still.

congrats man....excellent choice, good price too.

congrats man....excellent choice, good price too.

Thanks! I have been watching ebay the last few weeks and this seemed like a great price. (Especially since I am biased towards the Japanese made Fenders over the Mexican ones.) To see a CIJ one for that in good condition seemed too good to pass up. Doesn't have the traditional tailpiece, but I could add it if I felt like I had to have it. It seems acutally smarter for me to keep it as is since I don't use trem. It is just a look thing. Probably will change the knobs and pickguard at least. I need to try out the pickups to see if they stay or not. If I like them, I will leave them alone. :) (Same with pots.)

Thanks! I have been watching ebay the last few weeks and this seemed like a great price. (Especially since I am biased towards the Japanese made Fenders over the Mexican ones.) To see a CIJ one for that in good condition seemed too good to pass up. Doesn't have the traditional tailpiece, but I could add it if I felt like I had to have it. It seems acutally smarter for me to keep it as is since I don't use trem. It is just a look thing. Probably will change the knobs and pickguard at least. I need to try out the pickups to see if they stay or not. If I like them, I will leave them alone. :) (Same with pots.)

this tailpiece would be nice if you don't use trem.

jmtailpiece.png

I would upgrade the hell out of this baby. These guitars are like canvas and you can do whatever you feel like.

this tailpiece would be nice if you don't use trem.

jmtailpiece.png

I would upgrade the hell out of this baby. These guitars are like canvas and you can do whatever you feel like.

That looks cool! Where do they sell those. Do they require much drilling? I imagine you would need a little bit under where the strings drop under the plate. Also I was thinking, couldn't I get a regular Jaguar tailpiece and remove the spring part on the bottom so it is flat? It wouldn't require drilling and would still look like a normal tailpiece. I haven't seen one in person. Is that an option?

That looks cool! Where do they sell those. Do they require much drilling? I imagine you would need a little bit under where the strings drop under the plate. Also I was thinking, couldn't I get a regular Jaguar tailpiece and remove the spring part on the bottom so it is flat? It wouldn't require drilling and would still look like a normal tailpiece. I haven't seen one in person. Is that an option?

i have no idea where they sell those ... pretty cool tailpiece... they're probably custom made....i believe you would need to do some small routing for the strings's endings to fit... maybe somebody here knows more about it.

and yes i suppose you could do that with the jazzmaster tailpiece, but it would require some routing one way or another ....please man!!! if you decide to this... do it the right way. Give it to a pro luthier. I don't think it would cost that much. Believe me this is a great guitar you bought and she surely worths it.

pics of the MIJ tailpiece

jmjmtremolo2.jpg

370239810406twojap.jpg

Also another option would be a bigsby... very classy mod.