What Tune-O-Matic bridge for Fender Mustang?

Grungie

SH4/TB4 it wont make any difference with a mustang bridge or TOM bridge.

BTW, you need the Gotoh Nashville TuneOmatic bridge.

But for future reference: if you are wanting a humbucker on a stock fender you need a trembucker to match the string spacing perfectly. If you plan on using a TOM you need a regular gibson spaced humbucker to match. You can mix it up and you wont hear any difference at all, you'll barely even see it.

My TB4 doesn't fit all the way through my pickguard. There is a midline bump that catches on the pickguard. Normal?

Don't really know what part you're referring too...in any case, pickguards can be filed and sanded.

There is a ridge halfway down from the top of the pickup to the bottom that runs horizontal. I can feel it through the ribbon. It causes the pickup to stop going up through the pickguard when it is 1/4" up above the pickguard. Maybe it is on purpose so you can't put the humbucker up too high? All the other humbuckers I have slide through it fine.

Here is a pick. There is a ridge that feels like it goes all the way around the pickup where the red line is.

5523277734_08de67b661.jpg

DSC09156 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

What you see in the pics below is the highest I can have the pickup up before it hits that ridge.

5522686493_37693573c4.jpg

DSC09155 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5523277934_769f288a1a.jpg

DSC09157 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Do you think I need to sand it or is it probably high enough?

SH4/TB4 it wont make any difference with a mustang bridge or TOM bridge.

BTW, you need the Gotoh Nashville TuneOmatic bridge.

But for future reference: if you are wanting a humbucker on a stock fender you need a trembucker to match the string spacing perfectly. If you plan on using a TOM you need a regular gibson spaced humbucker to match. You can mix it up and you wont hear any difference at all, you'll barely even see it.

I dropped my Mustang off with my tech a few days ago, and went with the SH4. He said it would be a better choice. He said that the spacing would be better than the TB4. I also went with the Gotoh TOM. He's going to have to drill, but he said it would work out nicely in the long run.

I dropped my Mustang off with my tech a few days ago, and went with the SH4. He said it would be a better choice. He said that the spacing would be better than the TB4. I also went with the Gotoh TOM. He's going to have to drill, but he said it would work out nicely in the long run.

Makes sense since the TOM should have Gibson spacing. :) Make sure to post pics when you get it done. In theory mine could be finished tomorrow after I route the opening a bit more.

There is a ridge halfway down from the top of the pickup to the bottom that runs horizontal. I can feel it through the ribbon. It causes the pickup to stop going up through the pickguard when it is 1/4" up above the pickguard. Maybe it is on purpose so you can't put the humbucker up too high? All the other humbuckers I have slide through it fine.

Here is a pick. There is a ridge that feels like it goes all the way around the pickup where the red line is.

5523277734_08de67b661.jpg

DSC09156 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

What you see in the pics below is the highest I can have the pickup up before it hits that ridge.

5522686493_37693573c4.jpg

DSC09155 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5523277934_769f288a1a.jpg

DSC09157 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Do you think I need to sand it or is it probably high enough?

the pickguard routing may not be large enough.

here's mine DSC05783.jpg

You DO NOT have to drill if you use a Gotoh/Gibson or any other brand NASHVILLE!!! If, like I done on my jaguar, you use a Gotoh MODERN nashville you do.

---------------------

About the HB, just file the pickguard a bit, it wont take much to let the HB move freely.

the pickguard routing may not be large enough.

here's mine DSC05783.jpg

How high do you have your pickup coming through the pickguard? I could grind it a bit to make the hole bigger, but it comes out about 1/4 of an inch and I think that might be high enough.

So I tried to widen it myself and f$*%ed it up and have to wait for a new pickguard to arrive. I discovered the likely problem. A TB-4 is 2.780 wide and a SH-4 is 2.624 wide. Oddly though the TB-4 is slightly more narrow. I am checking with pickguardian to see if they could make me a new one with the wider hole. Sadly that will cost me about a month in time since it takes them awhile to make them. :(

One thing I have learned. Always use the correct tool for the job! if I dont have the correct tool for it, I buy it. This way you never mess sh!t up!

Very good advice. I guess what I should have done was to look at the size of the pickup online. I just don't have access to getting it done right. If I knew the trembuckers were bigger, I would have ordered the larger size from the get go. My punishment now is having to wait another couple weeks for the new pickguard to arrive. Oh well... At least I have my new Jaguar to play with for now. :)

How high do you have your pickup coming through the pickguard? I could grind it a bit to make the hole bigger, but it comes out about 1/4 of an inch and I think that might be high enough.

I can set the pickup almost touching the strings or until the pickup plate touched the pickguard. With the tunematic bridge I have to set the pickup high.

I can set the pickup almost touching the strings or until the pickup plate touched the pickguard. With the tunematic bridge I have to set the pickup high.

I guess destroying it was for the best then. A new one is being made with the right size hole. ^^

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Fender Adjustomatic is 9.5" radius and would be closest to the 7.25" radius on a Mustang. I have a Kurt Cobain Mustang with this bridge and both of the E strings are just a bit high because of the mismatched radii. I was wondering if the inner saddles could be shimmed in some way to raise he inner strings up to match both of the E strings, then the entire bridge could be lowered to bring the action back down? Has anybody ever tried this?