Really confused. How to permanently disable Mustang trem?

Grungie

I've read other formus on here about how to disable the Mustang's trem, but am still confused. Can someone please describle the easiest way of doing this? Step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated. If this matters, I am also planning to flip the tailpiece around to feed the strings directly through for easier restrings. Thanks.

I've read other formus on here about how to disable the Mustang's trem, but am still confused. Can someone please describle the easiest way of doing this? Step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated. If this matters, I am also planning to flip the tailpiece around to feed the strings directly through for easier restrings. Thanks.

For mine I took the tailpiece off by removing the screws. Under it are the two posts that each have springs connected. I took those springs off. The posts unscrew so you end up with two posts, a flat tailpiece part, and the metal tube that strings go through.

Unscrew the orignal posts and put them aside with the springs.

Take the tube piece the posts screw in to with you to the hardware store along with one of the original posts. Look in the metric section at the bolts. Find one that screws in to the string tube. Try to get one about the same length as the original posts.

Grab four to eight small washers that fit the new bolts to provide a gap between the flat plate and the tube the strings go through. Also pick up some thread lock while there to help the new bolts stay tight.

Once home, the bolts go through the plate so the nut is on the underside. Add the washers to each post until you are happy with the height. Make sure to put some thread lock on the threads and tighten it down. Screw the new tailpiece that you assembled back on the guitar and add strings. If you want to have the strings NOT go under the metal tube, remember to put it together so that the wammy bar hole is on the left side instead of the right.

Should be good to go.

4889211848_9db0345c8f.jpg

DSC08263 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

For mine I took the tailpiece off by removing the screws. Under it are the two posts that each have springs connected. I took those springs off. The posts unscrew so you end up with two posts, a flat tailpiece part, and the metal tube that strings go through.

Unscrew the orignal posts and put them aside with the springs.

Take the tube piece the posts screw in to with you to the hardware store along with one of the original posts. Look in the metric section at the bolts. Find one that screws in to the string tube. Try to get one about the same length as the original posts.

Grab four to eight small washers that fit the new bolts to provide a gap between the flat plate and the tube the strings go through. Also pick up some thread lock while there to help the new bolts stay tight.

Once home, the bolts go through the plate so the nut is on the underside. Add the washers to each post until you are happy with the height. Make sure to put some thread lock on the threads and tighten it down. Screw the new tailpiece that you assembled back on the guitar and add strings. If you want to have the strings NOT go under the metal tube, remember to put it together so that the wammy bar hole is on the left side instead of the right.

Should be good to go.

4889211848_9db0345c8f.jpg

DSC08263 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Dude you're awesome!!! Thanks!!!

Do you think it would work if took the sprngs out completely, and put washers under the existing posts to disable it?

There isn't anything to hold it down without the springs attached. There isn't a bolt or anything to hold it to the plate without the springs. That is why you have to get bolts to use instead of the original posts that the springs are attached to.

300154571115-2.jpg

• 10 months later...

There isn't anything to hold it down without the springs attached. There isn't a bolt or anything to hold it to the plate without the springs. That is why you have to get bolts to use instead of the original posts that the springs are attached to.

300154571115-2.jpg

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I'm trying this at the moment and am confused.

I haven't put strings on the guitar yet, or screwed the plate back on but just for the hell of it I took the original posts and added 4 washers to each post between the tailpiece and the plate. The thing seems like it is locked down, but I need bolts instead that are basically the same size and are serving the same purpose? Why? What am I missing?

The washers determine the height of the tailpiece with this set up, right? The tail piece rests on the washers is what I'm trying to say, and then the posts screw back into the the tailpiece, which secures the 4 washers between the tailpiece and the plate. Or do I have this wrong?

I admit that I really don't know what I'm doing, but I just need to understand why this won't work, and why I have to get bolts that are the same size to do the same thing. What am I missing here?

With the way I did it (if the bolt isn't too long) you only need to put washers between the string tube and the plate to set the height of the tube for your strings to be able to wrap under. If you are doing the straight feed with the tube flipped around I would not use any washers and have the tube flush against the plate. I used a washer when I tried this on a project and there wasn't enough break on the bridge so I got bridge rattle. I would use a bolt vs the standard posts either way so the tube is perpendicular to the plate vs slanted back but I think others have had success with the original posts. Those can be taken out easily and put back in easily and bolts are cheap, so I am a fan of what is easy. :)