jazzmaster switch confusion (classic player)

I just received my classic player Jazzmaster the other day and have been playing around with it like crazy; I love this guitar. I am a bit confused on how exactly the switches work; when I have the neck pickup on then the bridge pickup is off, but when the bridge pickup is on is the neck off? what happens when I have the 3-way switch on both pickups but I then turn the neck pick-up on, does the bridge go off? I guess I am confused as to why there are so many of the same options; I can see that the sounds change with each switch but I can't tell what overrides what.....that doesn't really make sense but perhaps someone could explain.

Upper horn controls control th eneck pickup only. Allother controlls and bridge pickup is off then.

Here, this will explain it easy, its for a jaguar but its the same principle between rhythm and lead circuits:

link

Isn't a Jazzmaster basically a Jaguar with a toggle and no tone boost switch? I love the options with my Jaguar. Not sure if I would get a Jazzy, although they are pretty cool.

congrats on the new jazzy.... Jazzmasters and jaguars are becoming pretty popular these days. More and more people are discovering these fine guitars. Most people buy jaguars cause of the nickel plate (killer) looks ...but hey jazzmaster's tones can't be beaten... excellent choice!!!

here's a scanned pic from the jazzmaster manual...

jazzieswitches.jpg

and a cool video of this super crazy gentleman talking about them switches.

• 1 month later...

thank you for all the input, I actually figured it out after playing around for a while, I also soon realized how dumb of a question that was as it just showed how little I had played a jazzmaster...I played one once and decided I needed one, it's a great guitar, possibly my favorite (I have since purchased a msutang which has replaced the jazzmaster temporarily). thanks again!

thank you for all the input, I actually figured it out after playing around for a while, I also soon realized how dumb of a question that was as it just showed how little I had played a jazzmaster...I played one once and decided I needed one, it's a great guitar, possibly my favorite (I have since purchased a msutang which has replaced the jazzmaster temporarily). thanks again!

That's the hard part about having a lot of guitars. Many become favorites, but you can only play one at a time.

tell me about it! this website should get renamed to Fender-holics anonymous-I've bought 4 in the last 6 months or so and each time tell myself that is the last for a while...I need to stop looking at ebay. the jazzmaster will forever be a favorite though since I bought it brand new and also because it is probably the best sounding of all my guitars, the P-90's are amazing

tell me about it! this website should get renamed to Fender-holics anonymous-I've bought 4 in the last 6 months or so and each time tell myself that is the last for a while...I need to stop looking at ebay. the jazzmaster will forever be a favorite though since I bought it brand new and also because it is probably the best sounding of all my guitars, the P-90's are amazing

That is the hard thing about sites like these. They expose you to different guitars that often inspire purchases that you wouldn't do otherwise. :)

• 3 weeks later...