24 members have voted

1. 1. do you like 65s mustangs, or 69 mustangs?

I haven't got to play around with a 69 RI yet. The main difference is the contour on the back?

I haven't played a '69 yet either, HNB. But I know some of the differences and why I voted for the '65.

The '65 Mustang body is thinner and a bit lighter (unless it's a rare mohogany body).

I appreciate the aesthetics of a contoured body but in this case my vote goes to the first generation vintage slab. Because it's such a light, petite body, the contour doesn't have as much functional value as on a heavier or bigger body.

Also I prefer the '65 headstock, again, mainly for the vintage value. I'm a vintage nut and sort of a purist, so my reasons are mainly subjective, but I try to include some factual, functional rationalizations... ;-)

I haven't played a '69 yet either, HNB. But I know some of the differences and why I voted for the '65.

The '65 Mustang body is thinner and a bit lighter (unless it's a rare mohogany body).

I appreciate the aesthetics of a contoured body but in this case my vote goes to the first generation vintage slab. Because it's such a light, petite body, the contour doesn't have as much functional value as on a heavier or bigger body.

Also I prefer the '65 headstock, again, mainly for the vintage value. I'm a vintage nut and sort of a purist, so my reasons are mainly subjective, but I try to include some factual, functional rationalizations... ;-)

I like the slab body. Reminds me of my Jagstang and my Tele's. I do like contours though. My Jaguar and Strat have nice ones. I know some people don't like the white plastic tuning pegs, but I kind of do. The F stamps on the tuning pegs are cool too. I also like the little gap between the pickguard and the plates. I guess I just like Mustangs. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Think I'll vote 69 but only cos of contours, never played it... I played 65 tho a little, nice guitar. I have Strat contoured and Tele not contoured, I much prefer Strat contours, I can hug my breast muscles onto it while sitting & playing :mrgreen: . I just admit it.

Wonder whether pups are the same (65 vs 69) or is there a diffs?

• 4 weeks later...

Reading this thread makes me ask, what are the differences between an original '65 and a RI '65?

I understand one difference is the vintage '65 has the slight gap between the pickguard and the chrome control plate while the RI has no gap.

• 5 weeks later...