Classic Player Body vs Blacktop Body

Looking to do a Jazzmaster build and was wondering if there is a difference in body wood between the BT and the CP Jazzmaster. Both are made in Mexico. I know that the BT doesn't have the horn switch and rollers, but I can route that myself. Same with the pickup cavity. I plan on buying a Warmoth neck. Considering a Warmoth body alone is around $350 painted, I thought a BT for $450 with some parts I could maybe use might be a better option. Not to mention I can save up and get a new neck later if I end up wanting it. What are thoughts? I have read pages of post about the two types but wanted to see if anyone who has tried both has an opinon. The CP is almost twice the cost. Is it worth it? Both are MIM.

sounds like a good idea!

Do you think body and neck wise they are similar? People online seem to like the electronics of the CP but I haven't heard anyone really comment on any difference in neck and body and that is mainly what I care about. If I can keep the neck pickup, that is cool, but not super important since if I got a blank body I would have to get two pickups anyways.

Do you think body and neck wise they are similar? People online seem to like the electronics of the CP but I haven't heard anyone really comment on any difference in neck and body and that is mainly what I care about. If I can keep the neck pickup, that is cool, but not super important since if I got a blank body I would have to get two pickups anyways.

i don't own a CP nor a BT jazzy!!! but...

BLACKTOP

trem plate without lock button, moved closer to the bridge than MIA and MIJ jazzies, vintage style push in style arm

vintage style bridge

21 medium frets

9.5 radius

truss rod can me adjusted on the headstock

CLASSIC PLAYER

trem plate with lock button, moved closer to the bridge, screw in style arm

TOM type bridge

21 medium frets

9.5 radius

vintage style truss rod can be adjusted on the heel like MIA and MIJ jazzies

IMO BTs are a kinda modern version of the jazzmaster with a "less is more" approach (no rhythmn circuit with the BT). CPs are closer to the AVRIs but the closer to the brigde trem plate affects harmonics and sustain.

Other than that i think they're no huge differences in neck and body.

I would say go to a local store and play all jazzies you can find?

I can't be objective with jazzmasters... i love'em all and if i could, i would own all versions. :)

i don't own a CP nor a BT jazzy!!! but...

BLACKTOP

trem plate without lock button, moved closer to the bridge than MIA and MIJ jazzies, vintage style push in style arm

vintage style bridge

21 medium frets

9.5 radius

truss rod can me adjusted on the headstock

CLASSIC PLAYER

trem plate with lock button, moved closer to the bridge, screw in style arm

TOM type bridge

21 medium frets

9.5 radius

vintage style truss rod can be adjusted on the heel like MIA and MIJ jazzies

IMO BTs are a kinda modern version of the jazzmaster with a "less is more" approach (no rhythmn circuit with the BT). CPs are closer to the AVRIs but the closer to the brigde trem plate affects harmonics and sustain.

Other than that i think they're no huge differences in neck and body.

I would say go to a local store and play all jazzies you can find?

I can't be objective with jazzmasters... i love'em all and if i could, i would own all versions. :)

I will have to get away from the kids to give them a try. I am interested in the TOM bridge, but I think the standard one is fine. If I remember correctly it is similar to a Mustangs? I don't have any issue with mine going out of tune, but I also don't tend to use the trem either. I like the head truss adjustment more then the heel style. I need to go in and play them. Maybe I will bring my iPad so I can record my testing.

Yes please do that ...

I went to three different guitar shops today and only one had any type of Jazzmaster. I got to try out the Blacktop Jazzmaster. I have to say I am dissapointed though. Both pickups seemed shrill to me compared to ones I have heard online. I didn't hear any buzzing or hum, but the hot pickups sounded thin and noisey. I want to try a classic player to see if it is better, but none of the shops had one. Finish wise it was ok. The neck was ok and the frets weren't too sharp.

So after one more shop I found my Jazzmaster. I ended up getting a different Blacktop Jazzmaster I found today. Yesterday's one I tried was the same color option but was shrill and the rosewood was uneven and the frets were a little sharp on the edges. I was totally dissapointed. Todays was a million times better.

I contacted Guitar Center this morning to see if they had any Jazzmasters in stock and they said they had just got a Blacktop one in today. I told them I would come by after work and check it out. I arrived there and unboxed it. (It was still in the shipping box wrapped in a foam bag.) The salesman tuned it up for me and hooked me up to a Fender tube amp. The neck pickup was so much warmer sounding than the one I tried yesterday. It is hotter than the US ones I have heard, but not shrill. (I will do an audio sample later.) The bridge humbucker is actually pretty cool sounding. I HATED the one in the Blacktop I tried yesterday. The finish was nice looking. It looks like the body is made of three pieces, but they matched the wood pretty well. The frets are actually smoother on this neck then my MIJ ones, so that was a big (good) surprise. What is even better is they sold it to me for $449 which was $50 less than they had posted online. I also got a hard case for it. I am very pleased with it. I had the idea of modding it, but I kind of like it at the moment. Tuners seem fine to me. It came with light gauge strings.

Only things I notice that could use work:

The volume turns the tone to mud if you turn it down. The Tone knob is fine though. (Not a big deal to me because I usually keep volume at full.)

The bridge adjustment screws need to be tightened down. (Not a big deal. I hear people use thread lock on them to help with this or I could get a different bridge later.)

I might change the pickguard to a red pearl one maybe, but I kind of like the black on sunburst.

All in all my first Mexican made Fender seems to be great!

5615134482_9f0be44a0b.jpg

DSC09341 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5615131662_917e1ceebf.jpg

DSC09321 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5614551869_22ed55a5ac.jpg

DSC09322 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5615133434_6833cd53b8.jpg

DSC09331 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5614553133_2f7592353b.jpg

DSC09330 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5614552865_ba36f26210.jpg

DSC09329 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5615133800_c72844fa2c.jpg

DSC09335 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

The grub screws were loose when I got it and it buzzed because of it. I tightened them down more and it seems to be fine now. I am hoping to avoid thread lock. If it comes to that, I might just get a Mustang bridge or an Adjust-O-Matic bridge. Does the stock one just sit in thimbles like Mustang and Jag-Stang ones? I haven't removed strings to know yet.

Just to be safe, I picked up an Adjusto-Matic bridge on ebay for like $18. If I have more rattle I will just swap it out I guess. :) Mustang one is probably fine too, but since I don't really use tremolo I think the Adjusto will be fine. (I use the Adjusto with my Bigsby Jaguar and it works, so meh. ;))

• 2 weeks later...

The grub screws were loose when I got it and it buzzed because of it. I tightened them down more and it seems to be fine now. I am hoping to avoid thread lock. If it comes to that, I might just get a Mustang bridge or an Adjust-O-Matic bridge. Does the stock one just sit in thimbles like Mustang and Jag-Stang ones? I haven't removed strings to know yet.

Just to be safe, I picked up an Adjusto-Matic bridge on ebay for like $18. If I have more rattle I will just swap it out I guess. :) Mustang one is probably fine too, but since I don't really use tremolo I think the Adjusto will be fine. (I use the Adjusto with my Bigsby Jaguar and it works, so meh. ;))

you don't want a mustang bridge, the radius is for a 7.25, your neck is 9.5 stick with what you have, the ajustomatic is probly a 12" radius so it won't work as well as you may like.

you don't want a mustang bridge, the radius is for a 7.25, your neck is 9.5 stick with what you have, the ajustomatic is probly a 12" radius so it won't work as well as you may like.

The Adjusto-Matic is on the Blacktop Jaguar and I believe that one is 9.5 also isn't it?

True! Only thing that bugs me about those are fingerprints. LOL :)

Yeah, but I mean thats not a huge problem, just annoying :lol: Ive had a thing for the mirrors ever since I saw a lefty Fender Jazz Bass with one (not to mention a sunburst finish, and as you may know, I have a thing for such finishes) MY GOD. The thing knocked me off my fvcking feet!!!

Yeah, but I mean thats not a huge problem, just annoying :lol: Ive had a thing for the mirrors ever since I saw a lefty Fender Jazz Bass with one (not to mention a sunburst finish, and as you may know, I have a thing for such finishes) MY GOD. The thing knocked me off my fvcking feet!!!

I thought about a gold one, but those are expensive!