I've been playing my Jaguar for many years, and I've always struggled with the fact the Whammy bar [vibrato arm] swivels a bit too loosely in it's socket. If I don't keep holding on to it, it will drop down (with it's tip pointed downward), making it more or less awkward to get a hold of again later, in a song. I would like it to stay a little closer to horizontal most of the time, for more convienient regular use, and I've had partial, temporary, success with sticky silicone putty, but it leaves much to be desired. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else here considers this to be a problem, and what sorts of solutions have been tried.

You could have possibly stripped the socket, Im not an expert on Jag Trems but is it possible that you could replace only the socket without replacing the whole Trem? Even so, if you could, I would probably reccomend this as possibly a last resort, it may be expensive.

I believe it is two parts. (a top plate and the spring part below with the socket and the string stop piece.) Angela.com has them. Not hugely expensive if I remember correctly.

Really? Very well then! I just checked the site out, seems neat!

It has sh*t loads of parts. Nicer than trying to scavenge on ebay. Stumbled on it while looking for guitar info through different forums.

You could have possibly stripped the socket, Im not an expert on Jag Trems but is it possible that you could replace only the socket without replacing the whole Trem? Even so, if you could, I would probably reccomend this as possibly a last resort, it may be expensive.

No no no. I've got a '60s Jaguar. The socket isn't threaded. In fact, I've just replaced it. The socket is supposed to hold the whammy bar tightly, but it's not tight enough.

No no no. I've got a '60s Jaguar. The socket isn't threaded. In fact I've just replaced it. the socket is supposed to hold the whammy bar tightly, but it's not tight enough.

So it's working now?

So it's working now?

Well, the vibrato has always been working- that's why I like to use it so much...

Unfortunately, the new socket (which I got inexpensively from Angela.com) isn't much better at holding up the bar than the old one, even though the old one had a broken-off "prong" at the bottom. I've heard that modern Japanese (and mabe"Classic Player") Jaguars use a threaded vibrato arm. Does anyone know if this fits into a similar (but threaded) socket that screws into the "rocker plate" part? Or is the bit that the vibrato arm screws into an integral (non-detachable) part of the "rocker plate"?

Well, the vibrato has always been working- that's why I like to use it so much...

Unfortunately, the new socket(which I got inexpensively from Angela.com) isn't much better at holding up the bar than the old one, even though the old one had a broken-off "prong" at the bottom. I've heard that modern Japanese (and mabe"Classic Player") Jaguars use a threaded tremolo arm. Does anyone know if this fits into a similar (but threaded) socket that screws into the "rocker plate" part?

That one is beyond me. :) I am sure someone here knows though. :)

Maybe the arm is worn, as opposed to the collet.

Though expensive, there is a modified replacement trem socket available on e-bay. It claims to solve all the issues.

See it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tremolo-upgrade-US-MIM-Fender-Jaguar-Jazzmaster-/180655117438?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a0fe2547e

Looks cool, but I agree it is expensive. I guess if you use the trem arm it can be worth the cost. :)

• 9 months later...

I haven't been back here for a while, but I thought I should report that I solved my problem with the floppy vibrato arm, using a bit of lock-tite. It put just enough friction around the socket, so that the arm stays up where I can easily grab it when I need it, and stays where I put it when I don't.

Thanks for all the advice!

I haven't been back here for a while, but I thought I should report that I solved my problem with the floppy vibrato arm, using a bit of lock-tite. It put just enough friction around the socket, so that the arm stays up where I can easily grab it when I need it, and stays where I put it when I don't.

Thanks for all the advice!