Jag Special HH Sound Questions

I have always really preferred the Fender look and feel over Gibsons. The thing is, I play punk, and while Fenders sound great live, it can be hard to get a heavy enough sound when recording. Right now, I play through the Telecaster '72 thinline semi-hollow reissue. Obviously, it's semi-hollow so it has that hollow sound when recording. I've heard that the non-hollow version sounds a little heavier.

I've been reading reviews online and some say that the new Jaguar Special HH (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0141710305) can get a sound comparable to a Gibson LP or SG. What are your thoughts on this? I live in Korea right now and finding one that I can test out is pretty much impossible. I'm going for that 90s punk sound where it's got a lot of gain/distortion, but still sounds crisp, not fuzzy. Kind of like what Teenage Bottlerocket is doing these days. Their guitar tone in the song "Bigger Than Kiss" is really what I'm going for. I know I could just buy an LP, but like I said, I really don't like the way the wear or the look.

Anyway, do you think I'd be able to get a sound like this out of the Jag Special HH live AND when recording? I wouldn't be opposed to switching out the humbuckers if necessary. Just looking for whatever advice, experience, ideas I can get. Thanks.

I have always really preferred the Fender look and feel over Gibsons. The thing is, I play punk, and while Fenders sound great live, it can be hard to get a heavy enough sound when recording. Right now, I play through the Telecaster '72 thinline semi-hollow reissue. Obviously, it's semi-hollow so it has that hollow sound when recording. I've heard that the non-hollow version sounds a little heavier.

I've been reading reviews online and some say that the new Jaguar Special HH (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0141710305) can get a sound comparable to a Gibson LP or SG. What are your thoughts on this? I live in Korea right now and finding one that I can test out is pretty much impossible. I'm going for that 90s punk sound where it's got a lot of gain/distortion, but still sounds crisp, not fuzzy. Kind of like what Teenage Bottlerocket is doing these days. Their guitar tone in the song "Bigger Than Kiss" is really what I'm going for. I know I could just buy an LP, but like I said, I really don't like the way the wear or the look.

Anyway, do you think I'd be able to get a sound like this out of the Jag Special HH live AND when recording? I wouldn't be opposed to switching out the humbuckers if necessary. Just looking for whatever advice, experience, ideas I can get. Thanks.

I think a lot of 90's punk and rock were recorded on Fenders. Several bands used Jaguars and Jazzmasters at the time because they were cheap. I don't know many punk bands that use Gibsons because of the cost.

I think a lot of 90's punk and rock were recorded on Fenders. Several bands used Jaguars and Jazzmasters at the time because they were cheap. I don't know many punk bands that use Gibsons because of the cost.

Yeah, it's true. I recorded our first demo with my Telecaster, but I had to play the strings as hard as possible and double track with different gain settings to get a tone that sounded strong enough. Right now, I'm recording with my friend's LP and it's much easier to get that same sound without having to push the guitar as hard. Just wondering if this Jag HH will have that "strength"

Just drop in high output pickups. John 5 uses a tele for metal. If the Jag special isn't hot enough, swap out the pickups for some hotter ones like a screamn' demon. My custom tele has a Paf Joe in the neck and an X2N in the bridge. (Same as Stone Sour's lead guitarist.)