Whats in Your Jag-Stang?

Hi Everyone, I know bugger all about pickups for a start. And My Jag-stang has standard Pickups in it. I`ve bought myself a Gibson les paul studio 60`s mahogany, and the sound out of it is brilliant, In my opinion it blows the Jag-stang away on tone.

now for a few questions....

1.what pickups would be good alrounders to cover every style/sound? From thin/twangy/clean to Rich/Warm/Heavy and would give my Gibson a run for its money?

2.can you put any humbucker (With correct spacing) with any single coil?

3.Will all humbuckers and single coils fit with no modifications? (I just want ones that will slip straight in.)

4.What have you got in your Jag-stang? Are you happy with it? and are you thinking of changing any pickups in the future?

Please educate me. :-D

Cheers, Lee.

Hi Everyone, I know bugger all about pickups for a start. And My Jag-stang has standard Pickups in it. I`ve bought myself a Gibson les paul studio 60`s mahogany, and the sound out of it is brilliant, In my opinion it blows the Jag-stang away on tone.

now for a few questions....

1.what pickups would be good alrounders to cover every style/sound? From thin/twangy/clean to Rich/Warm/Heavy and would give my Gibson a run for its money?

2.can you put any humbucker (With correct spacing) with any single coil?

3.Will all humbuckers and single coils fit with no modifications? (I just want ones that will slip straight in.)

4.What have you got in your Jag-stang? Are you happy with it? and are you thinking of changing any pickups in the future?

Please educate me. :-D

Cheers, Lee.

1. I like JB's, X2N's, Pearly Gates, and most Lace humbuckers personally.

2. You can fit a standard humbucker in a stock jagstang pickguard. A trembucker would need a slightly wider hole to fit. As they are slanted, pole line up doesn't really happen. It would make more of a difference if it was in parallel to the bridge.

3. Stratocaster sized single coils will fit with no mods and regular humbuckers would fit. (Not trembuckers as I said above.)

4. I have a Lace Blue in the neck and a Red Red dually in the bridge ala Johnny Greenwood's telecaster plus. I like it fine, but I have several guitars to pick from for different sounds.

1. I like JB's, X2N's, Pearly Gates, and most Lace humbuckers personally.

2. You can fit a standard humbucker in a stock jagstang pickguard. A trembucker would need a slightly wider hole to fit. As they are slanted, pole line up doesn't really happen. It would make more of a difference if it was in parallel to the bridge.

3. Stratocaster sized single coils will fit with no mods and regular humbuckers would fit. (Not trembuckers as I said above.)

4. I have a Lace Blue in the neck and a Red Red dually in the bridge ala Johnny Greenwood's telecaster plus. I like it fine, but I have several guitars to pick from for different sounds.

Nice one HNB. So the likes of a Gibson Burstbucker Type 2 humbucker would fit fine?

Do you think the pickups would Sound better if they were straightened up? (parallel).Would you have to route out the wood of the body to do that? or is there enough space under the pickguard to just get a new pickguard with straightened out holes?

Nice one HNB. So the likes of a Gibson Burstbucker Type 2 humbucker would fit fine?

Do you think the pickups would Sound better if they were straightened up? (parallel).Would you have to route out the wood of the body to do that? or is there enough space under the pickguard to just get a new pickguard with straightened out holes?

The routing stock is at an angle so it would need to be routed for a straight humbucker and if you wanted the poles to line up right, you would want to get a trembucker or f-spaced pickup. This would require a custom pickguard. Tony at pickguardian.com could do it well.

Some people say the angle gives it a charm and a different sound because of how the poles line up. It is up to what sound you like. :)

i have the original ones in my jagstang but i want the same as kurt

At the EMP Earnie commented on the Jagstang. He said for it to be what Kurt would have really liked it would have had a toggle with no switches, a contoured body, a hard tail, and TOM bridge.

When Earnie asked him why he didn't ask for those, Kurt seemed like he didn't even think to ask or forgot. Those items are all things he would have likely changed if he hadn't died. Oh and Kurt liked JB's best. He would try others, but usually went back to JB's. He rarely ever used the neck pickup, so that wouldn't be as big of a deal, but people seem to think Texas Specials are good with the JB.

Myself, I am not trying to get my guitar like Kurts,(no disrepect to anyone). I just want whats best for my guitar and me. I know the guitar can sound better. I`m just not sure what to put in it? :-hmmm

by the way chaps thanks for your replies up to now, much appreciated.

Myself, I am not trying to get my guitar like Kurts,(no disrepect to anyone). I just want whats best for my guitar and me. I know the guitar can sound better. I`m just not sure what to put in it? :-hmmm

by the way chaps thanks for your replies up to now, much appreciated.

Several of the pickup manufacturers have sounds clips to go with their pickups. You might give that a try and listen for a sound you like. You could also look into guitarists you like and see what pickups they tend to use. It could help you find what works for you.

H.N.B. you have been a real help. many thanks. Cobainjagstang123, let me know what you think of your guitar when you get it back,( is it a great improvement?)

Not a problem. :) Happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...