kind of a dumb question. i'm unfamiliar with phase shifters, but do you think having a phaser and a chorus stompbox eliminates the need for a flanger stompbox??

also, are there any phaser stompboxes you'd recommend??

Flangers do sort of an up and down sound where phasers have sort of a left to right feel. Probably not the best description, but that is how they sound to me. I have both because they do different things. I usually head to youtube to hear pedals to get an idea on sound. There are often videos with different pedals that are popular so you can listen to the different sounds they have side by side through the same rig.

Flangers do sort of an up and down sound where phasers have sort of a left to right feel. Probably not the best description, but that is how they sound to me.

nah, i get what you mean. to me they've always sounded sort of similar, phase maybe being a bit thicker and less modulated. but that's about it. anyways i'm thinking i'll check youtube for some of the lesser known phasers. i've already seen the phase 90, boss ph-3, etc. oh and thanks for the reply..

nah, i get what you mean. to me they've always sounded sort of similar, phase maybe being a bit thicker and less modulated. but that's about it. anyways i'm thinking i'll check youtube for some of the lesser known phasers. i've already seen the phase 90, boss ph-3, etc. oh and thanks for the reply..

No problem. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I look at it this way,.....

Phaser sounds like a non-watery flanger, there's still a bit of a whoosh, but none of that metallic "water against metal siding" noise effect the Flanger has, the color I'd describe to the sound would be gray or white

A flanger can be anything from that aforementioned sound to something like a Jet Plane, it's very watery, and is the #1 effect used for hokey alien effects in movies from the 80's (and multi-effects unit demo patches for that matter). I describe the color of the sound sort of a dark teal or purple depending upon the sound. The name comes from an old studio trick where one had 2 tape reels with identical recordings on them, and the engineer in the studio would put his finger on one of the recorder's reels to put them slightly out-of-phase (time) with each other.....the tequnique was called "Flanging" hence the name flanger and produced the same sound.

Chorus is a close relative of flanger as they both work using time delays instead of phase (which is why a Phaser is called a phaser, it twists the phase of the signal whereas a flanger and chorus are basically a delay pedal set really low). Chorus is done by making copies of the signal and modulating them slightly to put them ever-so lightly out of tune with each other. Same principle as the FLanger just closer tolerances, and the name Chorus implies that it's supposed to sound more like a "chorus" of whatever is run through the effect.

The above is also why the EHX PolyChorus has delay settings on it, it's basically a really fancy schmancy delay that can do chorus, flange, and double tracking.

• 4 weeks later...

if u get the right flanger, it can make a pretty convincing chorus sound, when set correctly, so id suggest having a flanger and a phaser. and they sound great together. i use a phaser set slow and a flanger set faster, and it sounds amazing.