Singing problems.

Does anyone know any good advice for singing? I'm in a band and my bass player and I both sing but I'm not satisfied with my vocals. It just seems like I'm talking and also I sing pretty low and I don't really project too well. I want to sound, I don't know raspier/more growly,..maybe louder.

All I can say at the moment is to learn how to use your diaphragm when you sing, and to try to open your throat up as much as you can for raspier stuff. These both need to work together for it to work properly.

Also, don't worry about your 'talking sound'. It worked for Johnny Cash, and Lou Reed for ages.

All I can say at the moment is to learn how to use your diaphragm when you sing, and to try to open your throat up as much as you can for raspier stuff. These both need to work together for it to work properly.

Also, don't worry about your 'talking sound'. It worked for Johnny Cash, and Lou Reed for ages.

Hey irish_funk000, why you trying to give advice about something you know nothing about. I do not sing and i know that what you said is wrong. To achieve a raspier sound i would work on using hot air for the parts you want raspy. How do you use only hot air? Here is how i do it. You want to go in front of a mirror and at first get close and see it fog up. Hot air comes from your gut and it will fog the mirror. Think about fogging the mirror when you sing and you will get a raspy sound. It is like when you get punched in the stomach. As a girl you should never have to experience getting punched in the stomach but when you do, it's like air from the bottom comes out.

Opening your mouth will adjust your volume. I don't know who you think is a great singer or a singer you wish to emulate. If you can think of some you like, pull a video and study them. I will argue all day that dax riggs is the best living vocalist. I can put some videos and you can actually hear his volume change and see his mouth open and close. The bravado he has is something that can't be taught and i have no idea how these elite vocalist pull that off. When i see elite i'm talking dax, marc bolan, roy orbison. Listen to t.rex menthol dan if you want to hear some of the craziest vocals ever. it sounds like he is full of helium but the bravado is sick!

I am not a very good singer. With that said if i wanted to sing there is no doubt in my mind i could. I have 10 friends who are singers and i know if i set my mind to it i can. You got to approach it like this, i'm going to sing and i'm going to sound good and if anyone doesn't like it #### off. I'll sing like the birds because i am not scared. Let's #### sing already. I'll do what it takes and by this i mean the same way you learn guitar and how to walk and whatever...you get up some #### confidence and you try and you practice and then you practice and then you...yeah that would be my advice. Study good singers and practice. Carry yourself with confidence but not arrogance and they will love you. Open up and go for it. What's the worst that could happen? #### it. If you would like i can post some videos of singers i like where you can see the sound change as the shape of their mouth changes. It's like a duck call or a harmonica- hot air! Good Luck!

btw irish_#### 69 - You keep insulting kurt and now cash? who the #### are you? nobody. nobody. irish_nobody2011. i told you about your disrespectful signatures already.

Dude, don't even start this bull#### again. I'm offering advice, and telling her the way I do it to try to help.

Also, how did I insult Johnny Cash? I'm seriously confused about this, because I don't recall saying one bad thing about him. I think you're just looking for a reason to start ####.

EDIT: You also don't have a clue about what you're saying. "Hot air" has nothing to do with singing. Ask anyone that knows anything about singing and they will tell you basically what I told TS.

Thanks for your help irish punk I'll try it at practice this weekend.

Hey irish_funk000, why you trying to give advice about something you know nothing about. I do not sing and i know that what you said is wrong. To achieve a raspier sound i would work on using hot air for the parts you want raspy. How do you use only hot air? Here is how i do it. You want to go in front of a mirror and at first get close and see it fog up. Hot air comes from your gut and it will fog the mirror. Think about fogging the mirror when you sing and you will get a raspy sound. It is like when you get punched in the stomach. As a girl you should never have to experience getting punched in the stomach but when you do, it's like air from the bottom comes out.

Opening your mouth will adjust your volume. I don't know who you think is a great singer or a singer you wish to emulate. If you can think of some you like, pull a video and study them. I will argue all day that dax riggs is the best living vocalist. I can put some videos and you can actually hear his volume change and see his mouth open and close. The bravado he has is something that can't be taught and i have no idea how these elite vocalist pull that off. When i see elite i'm talking dax, marc bolan, roy orbison. Listen to t.rex menthol dan if you want to hear some of the craziest vocals ever. it sounds like he is full of helium but the bravado is sick!

I am not a very good singer. With that said if i wanted to sing there is no doubt in my mind i could. I have 10 friends who are singers and i know if i set my mind to it i can. You got to approach it like this, i'm going to sing and i'm going to sound good and if anyone doesn't like it #### off. I'll sing like the birds because i am not scared. Let's #### sing already. I'll do what it takes and by this i mean the same way you learn guitar and how to walk and whatever...you get up some #### confidence and you try and you practice and then you practice and then you...yeah that would be my advice. Study good singers and practice. Carry yourself with confidence but not arrogance and they will love you. Open up and go for it. What's the worst that could happen? #### it. If you would like i can post some videos of singers i like where you can see the sound change as the shape of their mouth changes. It's like a duck call or a harmonica- hot air! Good Luck!

btw irish_#### 69 - You keep insulting kurt and now cash? who the #### are you? nobody. nobody. irish_nobody2011. i told you about your disrespectful signatures already.

Thanks. But I don't think irish punk gave bad advice at all. He didn't diss johnny cash either. But thanks for your advice as well.

Opening your throat is not how you get raspy. Hot air is very important to get the vocals she is talking about. Hot air and fogging a mirror is a trick to pull the vocals from where they are supposed to come from. it also helps because when you fog a mirror you usually subconsciously inhale. Breathing is very important as well. It's like when you are under water and you let a little breath out at a time.

You are right about me #### with you irish_####. I have good reason to as well. When i first joined this forum it was totally anti-kurt. You were one of the main ones constantly ridiculing kurt because the others were. It's amazing how one free thinking individual can sway the group. When everyone bashed kurt you took it a step further with the stupid signature. I am a nirvana fan and kurt fan and for you to put the key to his sound was a shotgun? that #### is inappropriate. I know you were just following the group and i hate followers. Get some balls and stand up for what you believe. You wouldn't join this forum if you weren't into nirvana, so why let the group allow you to sell out your beliefs. That is my problem with you. ftw

Anyways..watch dax sing. When you open up your mouth and your throat you get volume, not raspy. You close your throat and squeeze the vocals to get raspy.

Very Important: Look at his throat, not just his mouth.

-

-

I'll be sure to tell marc hot air doesn't work according to irish_skunk2000.

This song is about marc and my brother corey's friend Ashton. RIP Ashton! At 1:34 he says corey came with...

Another guy from here that sings his balls off!

-

-

-

-

when he sings take me home, home is an example of what vocals do when you use hot air. Again you can see him open his mouth to get some volume. At 2:20 he opens his mouth and it gives me chills. I hope this helps. Let me know what you think.

at 3:16 he closes his mouth and sings through his teeth to get that raspy yell.

This is the exception. He opens his mouth for volume but actually closes his throat and ends up with a loud and raspy sound. I have someone with me who knows a lot about singing and she wanted me to put this one. This one is a tricky one. He is singing through his nose at the beginning. He is a unique voice and a strange way of singing.

-

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkf-sXg0b30

In case none of this was the vocal style you after, or if you need credibility, how about some old dax. He is a cult icon. He obviously knows what he's talking about. Check this #### out. Thank god for videos because the amount of heroin around at this time would have wiped anybody's mind blank.

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slbe7LAzqlk&feature=related

-

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WawQRVNzIE

I recall telling you before that I'm actually a fan of Nirvana, and that my sig is a joke. If you don't like me for that then don't speak to me at all. I'm sure that you wouldn't constantly harass someone that you dislike IRL, so don't do it here.

seriously? irl..if that means in real life then you have no idea. Yeah now it's popular in this forum to like nirvana, so here you are, a fan. Do you think a fan would say how great it is that kurt blew his head off? a fan wouldn't go there. If that is a joke then that is some low class ####. I hope you never become a fan of mine. I doubt i constantly harass you, but the things you've said make me dis-like you strongly. You certainly wouldn't make fun of kurt's situation in front of me, so why do it here. I'm not giving you a pass just because you are stupid and a follower with no spine. You bashed people in this forum along with everyone else until i called you on it. You ruthlessly bashed and harassed and bashed and teased anyone who came in this forum that was a nirvana fan. Did you not? I can pull the threads where you mother####ers ganged up on me for defending kurt like a pack of dogs. I stood alone as a fan and defended someone who has done so much not just for music but for human rights, and i took it like a man and gave it back to you. You can't run off at the mouth when you got somebody to back you up and then flip when they are gone and think it's all good. It ain't. You don't know ####.

btw, don't go irl with me silly, i'm a beast. ask somebody! ftw...

back to singing please, stay on topic please. there was nothing in your post about singing.

seriously? irl..if that means in real life then you have no idea. Yeah now it's popular in this forum to like nirvana, so here you are, a fan. Do you think a fan would say how great it is that kurt blew his head off? a fan wouldn't go there. If that is a joke then that is some low class ####. I hope you never become a fan of mine. I doubt i constantly harass you, but the things you've said make me dis-like you strongly. You certainly wouldn't make fun of kurt's situation in front of me, so why do it here. I'm not giving you a pass just because you are stupid and a follower with no spine. You bashed people in this forum along with everyone else until i called you on it. You ruthlessly bashed and harassed and bashed and teased anyone who came in this forum that was a nirvana fan. Did you not? I can pull the threads where you mother####ers ganged up on me for defending kurt like a pack of dogs. I stood alone as a fan and defended someone who has done so much not just for music but for human rights, and i took it like a man and gave it back to you. You can't run off at the mouth when you got somebody to back you up and then flip when they are gone and think it's all good. It ain't. You don't know ####.

btw, don't go irl with me silly, i'm a beast. ask somebody! ftw...

back to singing please, stay on topic please. there was nothing in your post about singing.

I'll just PM you so we can continue this. Try to be mature about it than you were last time.

unreal..stop already before it gets uglier. You say something and then throw in an insult to fire me up. I would NOT harass you in person because i don't like bullies and we would look pretty silly fighting or even arguing. I would look like a dick. If you want to go all irl on me then i'm getting pissed. If we are being honest, i'm sure you would run for the door the second i arrived and i couldn't blame you. It's pointless and you are forcing my masculine side out again when all i'm trying to do is help point someone in the right direction to analyze some singers that they may not be familiar with. I know nobody likes a tough guy but i feel like you need to understand. Look, here's the deal, we are never going to be friends and you are not what i'm looking for in a rival or an enemy. If i say something that is wrong, you may absolutely correct me. if you say something i think is wrong, ditto. End of story.

I didn't think you gave good advice so i got some guidance from some singers. I let them read it and i posted what they were saying. If you think they are wrong, that is fine. They will be quite amused that someone with no record deal, no songs, and no idea what they are talking about, disagrees. Understand? I'm trying to help, period. I have not attacked every post you put, only the ones i disagreed with. For example, drinking room temperature water? seriously? Who you know that does that. Everyone i know that sings drinks either whiskey or beer and the few that don't drink alcohol, drink water. It is never room temperature. You watch too much tv. I think axl may do that, and he's a jerk. Are we talking about warming up for american idol or a punk rock show? You want your vocals raspy, drink whiskey and chain smoke.

Watch the videos and you'll see and if you are doing it the way you said you are mistaken. Here is how it works again. The opening of your mouth has more to do with volume and projection. If you do not have a natural vibrato like dax or jeff buckley does, you can change the size of the opening of your mouth to change the sound. It's the same as shaking your hand when you are playing guitar. You want to pull air from your gut. Again, i find it easy to either say ughh, or fog a mirror. You want to close your throat and allow a little air out and then adjust the volume with the opening of your mouth. I have another friend that is here and he says it is called vocal fry, and you can damage your vocal cords permanently. He is telling me that there is lots of information on the web about vocal fry. So there you go.

on this one you can see kurt doing what i said. Especially at 1:30. I'm not arguing about it anymore i'm simply trying to put you in the right place to find the answer. I hope this helps. I think if you watch the videos and study the throat of a singer you will understand that it takes practice. practice opening and closing your throat. Good Luck and sorry for the bickering! Kurt mastered this technique and you can see his throat, it's crazy. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okqEsHFqrqc&feature=related

By closing your throat up like Kurt did you're going to end up #### your throat up. I used to do that where I would tighten up my throat, and I ended up not being able to sing for days afterwords.

Also, I can't believe you just told someone that you want to smoke to get that raspy voice. That's the dumbest advice you could ever give to someone. I am a smoker, but I would never tell an aspiring singer to smoke to make their voice rougher.

There are a hundred ways to get your voice to sound raspy. I clearly said that any of the methods may have damaging effects to your vocal cords. Tom Waits said he screamed #### into a pillow as loud as he could for hours a day. Some say joplin got it from whiskey. I also heard if you break a cigarette and smoke the filter you will get it. When you sing like that you are actually forcing your voice below your lowest note, and that alone can damage your vocal cords. If you can get lung cancer somehow you will nail that sound!

It's way harder to do the exact opposite of what you are trying to do. Try going higher than your natural range instead of lower. I'm going to put a video of marc bolan from t.rex and listen at 45 sec. That is a ridiculous vocal for a guy. It sounds bad at first but after a few listens it grows on you.

My point is that you shouldn't be telling people to do things that will hurt them to give their voice that sound. I don't even believe that cigarettes give everyone that raspy voice. Frank Sinatra smoked and he didn't have a raspy voice at all, Freddie Mercury smoked and his voice wasn't raspy.

If the TS starts smoking then if he get's heavy enough with it then he'll open himself up to loads of problems like lung cancer, emphysema, and just impaired breathing in general. That's not the way to give yourself the sound you want.

My point is that you shouldn't be telling people to do things that will hurt them to give their voice that sound. I don't even believe that cigarettes give everyone that raspy voice. Frank Sinatra smoked and he didn't have a raspy voice at all, Freddie Mercury smoked and his voice wasn't raspy.

If the TS starts smoking then if he get's heavy enough with it then he'll open himself up to loads of problems like lung cancer, emphysema, and just impaired breathing in general. That's not the way to give yourself the sound you want.

I'm going to say it again slower....any thing you do to have that vocal style can hurt your voice. You are singing in a register below where you should be. A raspy singing voice is from vibrating your vocal cords by singing too low. Who #### cares? You can't live forever! I never recommended anything, i'm saying how it is achieved. But do it your way, open your mouth and throat wide and drink 72 degree water. That only works if you already have a raspy voice. Thank you

I kind of feel bad about starting this thread now.

Don't be. if anything in here helped you it was worth it. This has been going on for a while. This has 0 to do with you. All i am concerned with is that you got the answer(s) you needed. Now sing your heart out!

You seriously put kurt as your avatar? that is so funny...I'll warn you when the cool kids come back so you can change it! FTW

Don't be. if anything in here helped you it was worth it. This has been going on for a while. This has 0 to do with you. All i am concerned with is that you got the answer(s) you needed. Now sing your heart out!

You seriously put kurt as your avatar? that is so funny...I'll warn you when the cool kids come back so you can change it! FTW

Kurt isn't my avatar.

I did that specifically for you, sweetheart.<3