i fell thatim in need of a fuzz. i love my ds-2 which is great for more aggressive sounds but i need something slightly laid.

my gear includes a fender jaguar, a marshall jcm 800 bass amp, a boss ds-2. in the near future i will be getting another tube amp (smaller though) and a wah pedal (prob a wh-10). my budget is low, less than 100 eur for sure.

the sound i want to git is quite unaggresive, more smooth and...not sure if its the right word...crappy. not really a great sound but one thats cheapish.

maybe something like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isCg_7udI_0&feature=related black keys

scott pilgrim soundtrack

hendrix as well

none of the above have a really aggresive sound and thats kind of what i want. know that i do not need to repplicate their tones, im not covering them or if i do ill use my own tone

i was tihnking about

boss fz-3

fuzz factroy clone (ill build it myself but seeing how im nnot great as building im not sure how much of an option this is)

big muff

any ideas? thanks

hey there!

get a zoom ultrafuzz. very rare, but makes any sound u want. literally. very responsive to the guitars volume controls, doesnt suck tone. ive got a friend who uses very high quality gear (PRS, Soldano via TCElectronic G-system + ZVex pedals) and when i lent him my ultrafuzz, he said he didnt like it cos it was too crazy for him.

the thing is all of those are expensive...id rather keep this cheapish. enough to get a good sound but not rly overdoing it. say budget around 75 euro max and i would love to get a cheaper one. thing is i also have shipping to consider (i live in malta...shipping is quite a bit so i prefer to buy local)

the thing is all of those are expensive...id rather keep this cheapish. enough to get a good sound but not rly overdoing it. say budget around 75 euro max and i would love to get a cheaper one. thing is i also have shipping to consider (i live in malta...shipping is quite a bit so i prefer to buy local)

*Cough* The Big Muff Pi will give you a sweet violin-like sustaining sound. It's the same legendary sound created by Jimi Hendrix. *Cough*

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Big+Muff&um=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1160&bih=651&wrapid=tlif131221351670010&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2769845597534298478&sa=X&ei=Gco2Tp_lBsfViALLntjDCA&ved=0CGYQ8wIwAw#

so thats a yes or a no to the big muff?

also, what about the coolcat fuzz?

I like the big muff. I thought it was funny that the description mentioned Hendrix. I haven't tried the other. I would go to youtube and listen to different demos. Won't sound exactially the same with your rig and all, but it gives you a rough idea.

Are you comfortable with building your own pedals? I got a One Knob Fuzz built for me recently, really simple little box that packs a huge amount of fuzz. I'm also currently trialling out a bespoke bazz fuss that I had built that gives a surprisingly solid tone for both bass, for which it's intended, and guitar. Worth looking into.

i have litstened to demos and have found all of them to be horrible...i have tried a big muff and quite liked it and the demos sounded nothing like it. i know no demo can sound as good as the real thing but with fuzzes ive never seen a good demo

i will go try it out again though with my jag this time (before i had tried it on a yamaha...decent but nothing great)

has anyone tried the fz-3 though. i quite like boss and its out of production which mean i like it even more

• 2 weeks later...

they dont seem to sell deviever in europe...how much do they cost anyway?

http://www.deviever.com/fx/retailers/

near the bottom of the page is a short list of European retailers. Also, Ebay is a great source for Devi fuzz.. And her basic pedals are about $100 US which is AMAZINGLY cheap for a hand made pedal of the highest quality parts...

i have litstened to demos and have found all of them to be horrible...i have tried a big muff and quite liked it and the demos sounded nothing like it. i know no demo can sound as good as the real thing but with fuzzes ive never seen a good demo

Dude, thing is fuzzes are complicated, at least from my experience... I have a big muff, it's my favorite pedal and it will sound different in each pickup / guitar / amp combination I use... everytime I have to set it up again to my taste and sometimes I may not get some sounds I had in a previous amp LOL that's just how it is. If you put more effects in the equation, it gets even worse, but that's what I like about them, otherwise I'd just get a Line 6 stomp modeler, or something like that.

Honestly bro, all of her fuzzes have such different characters. The Soda Miezer and Hyperion are sorta the Big Muff on steroids. The Legend of Fuzz gives you those lo-fi, almost 8-bit game sound.. As a 'all around' distortion replacement, I love both the Torn's Peaker and the 90. I mean, really it is all dependent on the general sound you want. Whether it's something subtle or something just in yr face/ over the top. I currently own a Soda Meiser and it practically nails the Smashing Pumpkins 'Siamese Dream' fuzz that I loved since I heard it when I was a kid. But it's definitely an extreme sound and not for everyone. With her variety and low price, I'm sure she's got something that will suit yr tastes :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...