I want to get a Mustang strictly because I love my Jag-Stang neck so much, it's incredibly fun to play.

If I opted to get another short-scale Fender, what would be the cheapest Mustang for me to look into? I don't

care if it's a re-issue, I just want to play it anyway not collect it so I'll leave the originals for the collectors.

Or would it just be cheaper overall for me to get another Jag-Stang and just do I different pickup combination?

P.S. - I know all about how Jaguars have the same neck, but I made the assumption that Jaguars were the most expensive out of the 3.

Not to try to pimp out another site, but people on Offsetguitars.com sell Mustangs from time to time and several people there build their own bodies so you could get one cheap from there. A Warmoth build could run around $700-800 and be very nice too.

A Reissue Mustang can be picked up for around $550-$700 or so depending on condition. Jagstangs can be picked up usually around that or more. I would just keep on ebay. Sometimes you find good deals there. That is where both of my Mustangs came from.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll keep an eye on eBay.

I was more interested in the Mustang since I already own a Jag-Stang,

and I would be interested in a Jaguar but they seem hard to come by

at the prices of a JS or Mustang. Thanks again for the responses.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll keep an eye on eBay.

I was more interested in the Mustang since I already own a Jag-Stang,

and I would be interested in a Jaguar but they seem hard to come by

at the prices of a JS or Mustang. Thanks again for the responses.

Go in and try one out in a shop before buying if you can. A Mustang body is much smaller than a Jagstang. I love my Mustangs.... but I love my Jagstang with the bigger body more. It is good to get a feel before you drop the cash. The necks on both are great, but the bodies are very different.

Go in and try one out in a shop before buying if you can. A Mustang body is much smaller than a Jagstang. I love my Mustangs.... but I love my Jagstang with the bigger body more. It is good to get a feel before you drop the cash. The necks on both are great, but the bodies are very different.

Thanks man, I did not realize they were that much different. I do really really enjoy my Jag-Stang but because of Kurt's legacy they seem to be selling for a ridiculous price like almost $1000 dollars and sometimes more. I paid $400 locally for mine, which I know is a really good price, but upwards of $1000 dollars is just insane to me. For that price, you could get a Warmoth setup in any color you want for under $1000 lol.

Hey man, you seem to know a lot about the Fender shortscales, I mainly just play them and never really researched them too far so I have another question. When I bought my Jag-Stang locally, it came with the tremolo bar and I had never previously owned a JS or Mustang. It looks like I need some sort of set screw to hold the tremolo bar in place? Is this correct, is that how a Mustang tremolo works? Also, when you use a tremolo on a Jag-Stang, does it stay in tune pretty well? I've been messing around with a lot of Pixies songs, I'm sure you know Frank's guitar is alot of surf-ish style playing (like in Something Against You, Crackity Jones, etc.) and riffs I think the tremolo would be cool to play with, as long as the JS remains in tune.

Hey man, you seem to know a lot about the Fender shortscales, I mainly just play them and never really researched them too far so I have another question. When I bought my Jag-Stang locally, it came with the tremolo bar and I had never previously owned a JS or Mustang. It looks like I need some sort of set screw to hold the tremolo bar in place? Is this correct, is that how a Mustang tremolo works? Also, when you use a tremolo on a Jag-Stang, does it stay in tune pretty well? I've been messing around with a lot of Pixies songs, I'm sure you know Frank's guitar is alot of surf-ish style playing (like in Something Against You, Crackity Jones, etc.) and riffs I think the tremolo would be cool to play with, as long as the JS remains in tune.

There is a screw that you use a hex wrench on seen in this picture. (The end of the tube right by where the arm goes in.) You tighten it to hold the trem arm in. A Jagstang trem and bridge unit is the same as a Mustang. You can use those parts from either on either guitar. Same with the jack plate. The pickguards are different though and the body routing is also different because the Jagstang's slanted humbucker.

5861133848_25beebc454.jpg

IMG_0275 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Here is a Jagstang next to a Mustang. You can see the Jagstang has a longer body. The Mustang has a flatter bottom. The necks are basically the same. The Jagstang's neck is based off of one of Kurt's Mustang necks.

5435060306_ce7e0a5680.jpg

DSC08983 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

A mod to help the trem stay in tune better is to wrap the posts with electrical tape or aluminum tape so the posts fit in more snug. That way when you use the trem the bridge doesn't move out of place and make the guitar go out of tune. I use electrical tape but some people have said aluminum tape helps improve sustain slightly. Below is from my Mustang when I added the tape.

5527282915_47a8f4aefc.jpg

DSC09165 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Wow man, thanks for all the help. As much as I wanted a Mustang I will go try one out first to be sure. I could always go with a Warmoth Jag-Stang or something if I end up not liking the smaller Mustang body. If I end up liking the Mustangs, know anything about how the Squier Duo-Sonics are? Seems like that would be a good Mustang substitution if I put a vintage or reissue rosewood neck on it.

Thanks for the tip on my Jag-Stang tremolo, the electrical tape thing makes sense. I'll play around with it until I'm happy. Thanks again man, you rule!

Wow man, thanks for all the help. As much as I wanted a Mustang I will go try one out first to be sure. I could always go with a Warmoth Jag-Stang or something if I end up not liking the smaller Mustang body. If I end up liking the Mustangs, know anything about how the Squier Duo-Sonics are? Seems like that would be a good Mustang substitution if I put a vintage or reissue rosewood neck on it.

Thanks for the tip on my Jag-Stang tremolo, the electrical tape thing makes sense. I'll play around with it until I'm happy. Thanks again man, you rule!

The Duo's are pretty similar with a different bridge. I see imports in guitar shops often. The small scale and small body are a hit with a lot of people, but now that I own three Jagstangs and two Mustangs I wish I had got two more Jagstangs instead of those Mustangs. I wouldn't sell them because I do enjoy them, but the bodies are a little small and light for my taste.

By the way, Warmoth bodies are cool. You can get them with contours and in any color you want! :) I am happy to help! I have learned through all the guitar buying and amp buying to try stuff out and see if you like it. Just because someone famous used it or likes it doesn't mean it will be a good fit for you. There is also many ways to get a sound. More about skills than what tools you are using. :)

5976765482_eb292f0fd7.jpg

DSC00648 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Just because someone famous used it or likes it doesn't mean it will be a good fit for you. There is also many ways to get a sound. More about skills than what tools you are using. :)

This is true. As much as Kurt hated it, with the right pickup choice, the Jag-Stang is pretty much the perfect short scale guitar. My only change would be to not use the Mustang switch selection but a toggle switch.

This is true. As much as Kurt hated it, with the right pickup choice, the Jag-Stang is pretty much the perfect short scale guitar. My only change would be to not use the Mustang switch selection but a toggle switch.

The surf green one above won't have the switches because I am using a toggle. :) I just need to drill and route the body for it. Jagstang is one of my favorite guitars. It has a good weight and shape for me. Some people prefer other guitars and that is ok. No one guitar is going to be the best for everyone. That is why there are so many types. :)

The surf green one above won't have the switches because I am using a toggle. :) I just need to drill and route the body for it. Jagstang is one of my favorite guitars. It has a good weight and shape for me. Some people prefer other guitars and that is ok. No one guitar is going to be the best for everyone. That is why there are so many types. :)

Nice man! What pickup choices are you going with??

Wow man, thanks for all the help. As much as I wanted a Mustang I will go try one out first to be sure. I could always go with a Warmoth Jag-Stang or something if I end up not liking the smaller Mustang body. If I end up liking the Mustangs, know anything about how the Squier Duo-Sonics are? Seems like that would be a good Mustang substitution if I put a vintage or reissue rosewood neck on it

Hey Johnny, you're lookin at some very cool options. Mustang. Duo-Sonic.

I have each and love 'em both. I really appreciate my Mustang's neck, the body size, shape, and I happen to prefer the light weight. It may take some gettin used to, but you can "wear" it all night long. Also, I like the trem; mine stays in tune very well.

The Duo-Sonic is similar in weight and has what to me is a sexy shape...not everyone likes the colors but I happen to really like every aspect of the Duo-Sonic aesthetics. Mine is set up well and plays beautifully with tens...I love the neck. Raised my pickups and get a strong range of tones. For the money, $230 for a good used one, the Duo-Sonic is a great value.

Hope this helps. Either one, you can't go bad wrong. But, yeah, play em as much as you can before makin a decision and remember that you'll get used to the size & weight over time.