Sign in to follow this  
HNB

Fender Releasing MIM Kurt Cobain Jaguar Replica

I know a lot of you might have seen this already, but for Nevermind's anniversary, Fender is releasing a replica of Kurt's Jaguar. Here is the article from Rolling Stone.

Not bad for $1,850.

I haven't been keeping up very well but this is interesting. Wondering if this will be a newly built Fender or just that Fender model that Japan has been offering for years...

Seems like it is a new USA one. I don't know more than the article states though. :) Exciting!

Edit: I can't believe how many people are already bitching on Facebook about price and features. Anyone who has tried to put one of these together know the costs of buying a B&D neck, black TOM, custom toggle plate, etc. MIA Jaguars are not far off this price and to get a case with cool collector stuff and a reliced copy of Kurts Jaguar seems totally reasonable to me. I couldn't build one for cheaper than probably $1000. Someone said they could get a REAL '60's Jaguar for $1,800. I would like to see that.... I shouldn't let it bother me, but some people will whine about anything/everything. Considering how many people I have seen try to make this copy and that the Japanese Fender version of this guitar costs more than the MSRP they listed, I see no reason to complain. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simple. ;)

EDIT: It is MIM. I think I will pass on it. Too much for a MIM guitar. Don't care whoes they are copying. :) Not that big of a fan to drop that much on something that wasn't made in America.

Seems like it is a new USA one. I don't know more than the article states though. :) Exciting!

Edit: I can't believe how many people are already bitching on Facebook about price and features. Anyone who has tried to put one of these together know the costs of buying a B&D neck, black TOM, custom toggle plate, etc. MIA Jaguars are not far off this price and to get a case with cool collector stuff and a reliced copy of Kurts Jaguar seems totally reasonable to me. I couldn't build one for cheaper than probably $1000. Someone said they could get a REAL '60's Jaguar for $1,800. I would like to see that.... I shouldn't let it bother me, but some people will whine about anything/everything. Considering how many people I have seen try to make this copy and that the Japanese Fender version of this guitar costs more than the MSRP they listed, I see no reason to complain. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simple. ;)

I think the price is fair..but I'm broke so naturally I'd wish it was cheaper. Are you getting one? Do you just order them off the fender website? The only thing I don't like is the fact that their making it look worn in and used like his. That's like paying ridiculous amounts of money for ripped jeans when you could go to walmart buy a pair of jeans and do it yourself. But everything else sounds amazing hopefully someday I could get one.

I think the price is fair..but I'm broke so naturally I'd wish it was cheaper. Are you getting one? Do you just order them off the fender website? The only thing I don't like is the fact that their making it look worn in and used like his. That's like paying ridiculous amounts of money for ripped jeans when you could go to walmart buy a pair of jeans and do it yourself. But everything else sounds amazing hopefully someday I could get one.

I don't think there is a set release date yet, but I hope to get one. It is a signature guitar so I expect it to run a little more than a stock USA Jaguar. I am not sure about the relic work either. I will need to see it. They did a great job on "Blackie" for Clapton so if you want a copy of Kurt's guitar, they will probably not dissapoint. People do pay a lot for worn in jeans and ones with stains so that is nothing new. :D It is about the fans as far as I can tell. People would probably complain either way though. (Like oh nice and new huh? Not like his.... or That much for a 'relic'?)

I don't think there is a set release date yet, but I hope to get one. It is a signature guitar so I expect it to run a little more than a stock USA Jaguar. I am not sure about the relic work either. I will need to see it. They did a great job on "Blackie" for Clapton so if you want a copy of Kurt's guitar, they will probably not dissapoint. People do pay a lot for worn in jeans and ones with stains so that is nothing new. :D It is about the fans as far as I can tell. People would probably complain either way though. (Like oh nice and new huh? Not like his.... or That much for a 'relic'?)

If I had the money I'd totally buy it :). Did fender japan stop making the jaguars and mustangs modeled after his?

If I had the money I'd totally buy it :). Did fender japan stop making the jaguars and mustangs modeled after his?

I don't think so, but they aren't really exporting those at the moment. Plus I think this would be American made vs CIJ.

Sadly MIM.

Some of my thoughts.......

I can find a few things to nitpick on the KC Japanese Jags...but most of them have been mentioned here already....so I'll lay that one to rest.

I really don't see the problem in making one as an anniversary piece of gear, especially since that's the guitar me and a lot of other Nirvana fans drooled over for ages. Yeah, it's not EVH's Frankenstrat or some other piece of gear know for it's town, 90% of what it's loved for is it's cool looks and charm via the dents, but obviously Kurt saw something enough in it to use it as his main on the 1991 tour and use it a ton on In Utero.

I actually would quite like to see one of these and take it for a test spin when they come out. I own a few guitars that are like this would be (Hondo Paul Dean and Jag-Stang come to mind), and I find that it really does not matter much who plays what on them. The Hondo was designed by Loverboy's guitarist, but I play Metallica and Led Zep on it more than I do Loverboy, and the Jag-Stang is used for darned near everything at open Jam Night from just random angry punk noodlings to full out shred madness.

I might pick one up if I can find one for the right price, it's been awhile since I added an offset to the collection.

i might get it if the price is not absurd from a deal at guitar center/an internet music site

I think that's a start neck and it makes it all the more cool

Edited by Wiseman88

Looking at it they made two, maybe 3 inaccuracies...

- Neck pickup is too far towards the bridge

- bridge is not angled

- Rhythm circuit has all the electronics in it (possible, but not totally sure on this one)

- no 3rd strap button for righty play

- pickups a little too un-aged

- relicing is a little too light

- headstock is a little too bright wooded and clean, needs darker laquer

Of course, that's just me being uber picky about the guitar. I'm glad to see them doing something with this legendary guitar though. Honestly, I'd just throw a vibrato bar on it and play it like one of my own (my own style).

Looking at it they made two, maybe 3 inaccuracies...

- Neck pickup is too far towards the bridge

- bridge is not angled

- Rhythm circuit has all the electronics in it (possible, but not totally sure on this one)

- no 3rd strap button for righty play

- pickups a little too un-aged

- relicing is a little too light

- headstock is a little too bright wooded and clean, needs darker laquer

Of course, that's just me being uber picky about the guitar. I'm glad to see them doing something with this legendary guitar though. Honestly, I'd just throw a vibrato bar on it and play it like one of my own (my own style).

You know your right.

I've got mine, doing my own relicing though :lol:

CloseBody.jpg

Kurdtzzz.jpg

KurdtzzFlowers.jpg

Still though pretty neat for those who want one, I know mines a great guitar and I use it all the time with my band I guess maybe if I had the money and didn't already own one I might consider it.

this is a shame, i was going to buy this guitar but it just too much of it that is NOT like kurts guitar, BOOO BOOO BOOO to the people at fender for such a half assed job to cash in on nevermind turning 20.

this is a shame, i was going to buy this guitar but it just too much of it that is NOT like kurts guitar, BOOO BOOO BOOO to the people at fender for such a half assed job to cash in on nevermind turning 20.

Care to elaborate/ enlighten us on said shortcomings?? I think it's pretty accurate minus some Stewmac parts and I believe Kurt's had a shim, but otherwise seems damn close and the price is actually damn good considering what it is...

Care to elaborate/ enlighten us on said shortcomings?? I think it's pretty accurate minus some Stewmac parts and I believe Kurt's had a shim, but otherwise seems damn close and the price is actually damn good considering what it is...

Neck pickup is a little further from the neck, the logo is a little off, the bridge isn't as angled, and the sunburst is a little off, and the neck is a different radius to fit the adjusto-matic bridge. It is very close, but still has some differences collectors are picky about.