Rate from 1 to 10 the Fender Jag-Stang

I never played one but from what I gathered some people like them, a lot of people hate them. I probably won't get one...I'd rather get a mustang or a univox..especially since I seen this faggot from the jonas brothers playing the fiesta red jagstang.

And if I do I'll probably do what HNB did and make a custom one.

I never played one but from what I gathered some people like them, a lot of people hate them. I probably won't get one...I'd rather get a mustang or a univox..especially since I seen this faggot from the jonas brothers playing the fiesta red jagstang.

And if I do I'll probably do what HNB did and make a custom one.

OMG! Really?

Well, I'ts the best I can purchase by now, maybe, when I have money, I will buy a Mustang or a Jaguar...

Custom ones are a good route. I am not a fan of the switches. I have replaced stock ones with nice ones and still had them break after a year of barely any use so any I get in the future will have the switches taken off and a blending pot put in instead. I also favor 500k's and 1meg pots over 250's, but that is a personal taste. I have no problem with stock ones. I have two that are basically stock in construction and my Warmoth one that is less stock looking. They are good platforms to play with and I think most agree that the Jagstang neck is one of the best short scale ones you can get.

Thanks, HNB ;)

And what about the pickups? The humbucker is really weak? What humbucker could be good from this site?:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

Thanks.

I think the electronics are ok. I have one that is stock. My red one has lace pickups, and my custom one has GFS ones in it and higher pot values.

It depends on the sound you are looking for. There are a lot of nice humbuckers there. The JB is nice. The Angus Young is cool as is the Slash pickup. The Dirty Fingers is pretty cool.

Ones I have played that I like are:

Lace Red/Red Dually Humbucker

DiMarzio X2N

Seymour Duncan SH-4 (JB) Although I played the Fender spaced TB-4.

GFS Crunchy Pat (Their version of a Super Distortion.)

GFS Bigmouth Bridge

• 2 months later...

The Humbucker in the bridge position is not really weak at all in my opinion... Especially compared to the single coil's in a mustang / regular jaguar. It's a fantastic guitar with a comfortable neck, you may have problems with the switches and bridge as they're not for everyone, but rewarding and easy to work with once you're comfortable with them.

You should try one out first hand to really tell though, especially before looking into getting new pick ups for a guitar you haven't tried.

The Humbucker in the bridge position is not really weak at all in my opinion... Especially compared to the single coil's in a mustang / regular jaguar. It's a fantastic guitar with a comfortable neck, you may have problems with the switches and bridge as they're not for everyone, but rewarding and easy to work with once you're comfortable with them.

You should try one out first hand to really tell though, especially before looking into getting new pick ups for a guitar you haven't tried.

I STRONGLY agree with the statement of trying it before you pick out pick ups for it... I have been "wow'd" before on trying a guitar with stock pick ups.. and didn't even have to replace them. I don't really dig Jag Stangs, I'm more of a Jaguar kind of guy. I have a Mustang though and it rules... the pick ups in both guitars aren't my thing.. I play with a lot of lows, completely unlike a Mustang/Jaguar tone haha. I've always thought of Jag Stangs as a cheaper version of a Mustang, my friend has one in Fiesta Red, it's right handed, but I'm personally a lefty. I played around with it a bit... but I can't really give it a solid review until I play a lefty one.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, it's my first post and I thought I would use it to weigh in on this topic.

Personally, I think the Jagstang is a pretty solid guitar even in it's stock configuration. I bought mine back in '96 and played it nonstop for about 10 years before even looking at other guitars seriously. After getting a strat, and then a couple of Jazzmasters, and a Squier Jag, I didn't touch it for years until last night. The neck on these things is one of the most comfortable I've ever played, it was like seeing an old friend again after a long time. The pickups are a bit on the weak side, but with a bit of gain and volume you don't really notice too much. It's definitely a unique beast worth owning.

Edit: forgot to rate it! I would give it a 7/10 based solely on a stock model. Its not the best, but it's quite good.

• 3 months later...

Their are no body contours and the pickups in it suck. Kurt himself seldom used it because he didn't like it. Personally, I like the neck and action, but you can get that on allot of guitars.

The mustang/jag-stang bridge also kinda sucks. you can lock it or get to work right, its just not the kind of bridge one goes out of their way to get.

I would never play it live unless the pickups were changed. It's very twangy.

6/10

• 1 month later...

A 6/10 because the bridge pickup is crap, the bridge sucks and when you play the thing it fells like you are playing on a slab of wood. with that said, the neck is truly one of the best i have ever played on. I never pick this guitar up anymore, but I would if I could get the time to mod it..... :?