25.5 scale mustang

Ok, hi everyone, I'm new on this forum.

And I'm having a bit of a problem.

I really love the shape, the overall looks and the history of the fender mustang

in particular, the burgundy blue/lake placid competition stang.

But I'm a really tall guy (6'7"). So my first thought was that my fingers weren't gonna have enough room

to take certain chords. I've heard of a way to fit a neck to a mustang to increase the scale,

but it's gonna look slightly odd, because you still have that small body.

So my though was to make my own. Lining a mustang up with a 25.5 scale guitar, made me see that I'll end up with a body a lot larger than a Stratocaster.

jrtn4o.jpg

All I need to do now is find a body blank, with holes routed for a bridge humbucker, a neck s.c and a strat neck pocket.

I'm planning on cutting the shape out myself, along with the extra routing that needs to be done.

I wanna strap a jazzmaster neck on, since the headstock looks almost exacly like the mustang one, and fits perfectly in a stratocaster pocket.

263vn13.jpg

I'll have to get a custom pickguard, and control plate, also, I'd like to get a strat input jack in the same spot of the mustang one, so my cable won't point straight up.

So I looked up what's on everyone's mind reading this... warmoth.. only.. I noticed a small problem

21lqzwp.jpg

Warmoths body blanks are too short. Urgh..

I do know this is gonna be a long job, and it's a project for the future, since I don't have any money to fund this right now. XD

Any thoughts? Anyone?

Especially on the blank.

ok, im a real idiot.

what i should have said...

it wont look that odd. i put a 25.5inch scale length strat neck on my '96 fender duosonic, (which is 22.5inch, interchangeable with 24inch, just like the mustang) and i had a bit of a struggle getting it intonated, but its fine now. and it looks fine too.

so my advice, is get a mustang body from somewhere, without bridge routing, and fit a JM neck, and put the bridge wherever it fits best.

• 9 months later...

ok, im a real idiot.

what i should have said...

it wont look that odd. i put a 25.5inch scale length strat neck on my '96 fender duosonic, (which is 22.5inch, interchangeable with 24inch, just like the mustang) and i had a bit of a struggle getting it intonated, but its fine now. and it looks fine too.

so my advice, is get a mustang body from somewhere, without bridge routing, and fit a JM neck, and put the bridge wherever it fits best.

Hello, I have the same intension concerned Mustang Pawn Shop. Do you think It will be possible to increase the scale of the guitar by removing the original neck and fitting strat neck or JM neck or even Warmoth Convertional neck

You need the bridge to be in the correct spot for it to intonate properly. Best/only option is to get a custom body made with the bridge in the right spot. A strat neck would fit the pocket, but not intonate on a body designed for a short scale neck.

You need the bridge to be in the correct spot for it to intonate properly. Best/only option is to get a custom body made with the bridge in the right spot. A strat neck would fit the pocket, but not intonate on a body designed for a short scale neck.

^^ This, and as far as I am aware, you said you would end up with a body a lot larger than a Strat. A Mustang body is still going to be a Mustang body... the Strat is a larger body, again as far as I know and I may be wrong as I don't own a Mustang.

I built this. The body shape and size is normal for a mustang, but the bridge was moved towards the bottom so a full scale neck could be used.

6873393128_19976f1562_z.jpg

IMG_1773 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

It can be done, but would need a custom body with the bridge and such in the right place. Custom guard would be needed as well for it to look right.

I built this. The body shape and size is normal for a mustang, but the bridge was moved towards the bottom so a full scale neck could be used.

It can be done, but would need a custom body with the bridge and such in the right place. Custom guard would be needed as well for it to look right.

Is that the stock Mustang floating bridge? That is one sweet looking guitar man.

• 3 months later...

6873393128_19976f1562_z.jpg

IMG_1773 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

i just have to say that that thing is so damn beautiful! i #### when i seen that lol. i really like how you moved the tailpiece down, way to make use of such unused space. and for your switch selector did you rout that out yourself? ive been wanting to get rid of the annoying slide switches since i got my mustang. any tips?

• 1 month later...