NGD - Kurt Cobain Jaguar w/ Pics

will your jazzmaster be an exact copy? or just similar..... sounds interesting

It will be as close as I can get it with a few exceptions. I am not going to put the roller assembly in it. It will have the plate there, but black tape under it since Kurt didn't use it anyways. I have a toggle plate and a four hole plate coming. I have the three chrome knobs for it. I made a template for a custom Jazzmaster guard that will be cut similar to a Jaguar. I am having it made in nitro red tort by pickguardian.com. It will have the two volumes and one tone. I am going to keep the switch by the toggle and make it a coil splitter for my Super Distortion and Paf DiMarzio pickups. Pics of progress so far. (Added the extra strap button today and got the bridge drilled for my black TOM.)

6330033843_24c3d852eb.jpg

DSC01902 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

6331502635_3e18c55ea2.jpg

IMAG0632 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

I might use pinstriping tape to simulate binding on this neck to see how I like it. :) Basically I wanted the Kurt Jag, but I don't really dig short scale guitars aside from my Jagstang so I thought this might be fun.

Congrats man!

A very nice guitar and very cool pics by the way.

Could you please explain me how all these switches work on this model?

The toggle switch on the lower horn simply switches between each pickup. Up is the neck, middle is both and down is the bridge.

The upper horn is like a normal jag, the switch turns on the neck pickup and activates the two roller switches. They control the tone and volume for the neck pickup only when this switch is activated.

The three knobs are a volume for the neck pickup, a volume for the bridge pickup and a master tone.

I hope that is clear. Let me know if it's not.

It will be as close as I can get it with a few exceptions. I am not going to put the roller assembly in it. It will have the plate there, but black tape under it since Kurt didn't use it anyways. I have a toggle plate and a four hole plate coming. I have the three chrome knobs for it. I made a template for a custom Jazzmaster guard that will be cut similar to a Jaguar. I am having it made in nitro red tort by pickguardian.com. It will have the two volumes and one tone. I am going to keep the switch by the toggle and make it a coil splitter for my Super Distortion and Paf DiMarzio pickups. Pics of progress so far. (Added the extra strap button today and got the bridge drilled for my black TOM.)

6330033843_24c3d852eb.jpg

DSC01902 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

6331502635_3e18c55ea2.jpg

IMAG0632 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

I might use pinstriping tape to simulate binding on this neck to see how I like it. :) Basically I wanted the Kurt Jag, but I don't really dig short scale guitars aside from my Jagstang so I thought this might be fun.

Man, I can't wait to see the final product HNB. I love the concept.

I will say the neck on the Kurt Jag feels a lot different from my Jagstangs. I'm not sure exactly what it is (I don't know the specs of either) but the Jag neck "feels" more like a Strat but with a short scale. Is it maybe the width? My Jagstangs feel thinner. I'm referring to the distance across the fretboard, not the thickness of the neck. I hope that makes since.

Man, I can't wait to see the final product HNB. I love the concept.

I will say the neck on the Kurt Jag feels a lot different from my Jagstangs. I'm not sure exactly what it is (I don't know the specs of either) but the Jag neck "feels" more like a Strat but with a short scale. Is it maybe the width? My Jagstangs feel thinner. I'm referring to the distance across the fretboard, not the thickness of the neck. I hope that makes since.

It is possible it is different. Kurt's actual Jaguar neck on that might have been a custom one since it did not have the correct Jaguar headstock or decal. Hard to say if Fender copied his neck for their release of your guitar. I know the Jag-Stang neck is copied from Kurt's favorite Mustang neck. That neck is very popular. :)

I can't wait for my parts to get to me so I can get more together. My pickups coming are the same as what is in your Jaguar. The anniversary PAF and the Super Distorton. Not sure what cap value he used, so I am just going to drop in a normal Jaguar value. I am almost positive he kept tone at full anyways because most clean samples of his recordings were bright sounding.

At any rate, once I get it done or some serious progress I will post pictures. Here are pictures of it with the new black TOM on it and the extra strap button installed. :)

6349300750_0b6d33bfdf.jpg

DSC02005 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

6349300080_9784d805de.jpg

DSC02002 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Hey, HNB, did you see my comment over on offsetguitars.com about the issue I'm having with the b string buzzing really bad? If not I can elaborate here but I was wondering if you had any insight?

Did you try raising the saddle for the one string a bit? You might have a fret a little uneven that needs leveling or a bad nut.

Did you try raising the saddle for the one string a bit? You might have a fret a little uneven that needs leveling or a bad nut.

I don't have the guitar right in front of me, but can you raise just one saddle on the TOM? Also, I looked at the string from the nut to the bridge and it doesn't look like its touching anything. It confuses me. Maybe I'll jack the bridge up "too far" just to see if it solves the issue and then work back from there.

Thanks for the info! I feel like this forum is the HNB forum. Not much traffic here these days.

I don't have the guitar right in front of me, but can you raise just one saddle on the TOM? Also, I looked at the string from the nut to the bridge and it doesn't look like its touching anything. It confuses me. Maybe I'll jack the bridge up "too far" just to see if it solves the issue and then work back from there.

Thanks for the info! I feel like this forum is the HNB forum. Not much traffic here these days.

Oh yeah, forgot it had the TOM. lol Yeah you can't raise those. Would seem to have to be a fret or nut issue then.

Guest gypsyseven

The toggle switch on the lower horn simply switches between each pickup. Up is the neck, middle is both and down is the bridge.

The upper horn is like a normal jag, the switch turns on the neck pickup and activates the two roller switches. They control the tone and volume for the neck pickup only when this switch is activated.

The three knobs are a volume for the neck pickup, a volume for the bridge pickup and a master tone.

I hope that is clear. Let me know if it's not.

Got it, thanks man.