sunburstjag

Looking to buy mustang... after some help...

Hi All,

I'm looking into buying one of the '65 mustang reissues after years of owning a jag-stang. But before i splash and cash id ideally like some background info on a few things.

1. My jag-stang is a basswood body but i see the '65 mustangs are built from Poplar... How does poplar effect the tone compared to basswood? Is its a heavy wood? Does it 'ding' easily like basswood? are there any pros/cons?

2. The main reason id like a mustang is down to my jag-stangs neck. The size and shape is perfect for me. However i dont actually know that specs of the jag-stang neck. The '65 mustangs have a 'C' shaped neck. Is this the same as the jag-stang (do all stock mustangs carry the same neck?)

Apologies if youre all wonder where the hell i've appeared from...I used to frequent these boards about 10 years ago! Hi to anyone who might remember!? mike? doog?

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Its a good suggestion but i dont think i could bring myself to take it off. I had a bad experience removing a neck from an old epiphone thats kinda put me off tinkering. I could never get the neck to fit properly back on after removal. Plus i love my jagstang too much :).

I've done some more research and i see the '65 mustangs are 'chunkier' than the '69 mustangs (neck and also body). It sounds like the '69 would be the way to go for me. I read jag stang necks fit the '69 even down to the screw holes, which sounds promising that the necks are indeed quite similar. but i want a brand new one and i cant read japanese!(ishi-bashi). Any ideas if fender will announce a new line of mustang reissues for the west any time in the near future? isnt namm 2012 in january?

PS.. all you dudes who've viewed the thread feel free to chip in! :)

Isnt the Jag-stang neck based off a mustang neck?

i think it was based on one of kurts mustang necks, so im sure the reissue wont be far different. nut width likely to be the same at least.

Hi All,

I'm looking into buying one of the '65 mustang reissues after years of owning a jag-stang. But before i splash and cash id ideally like some background info on a few things.

1. My jag-stang is a basswood body but i see the '65 mustangs are built from Poplar... How does poplar effect the tone compared to basswood? Is its a heavy wood? Does it 'ding' easily like basswood? are there any pros/cons?

Poplar is light and soft. It dings easy. You probably won't notice much tonal difference based just on the woods. Pickups, your amp, strings, guitar cable, and your attack all have more audible influence on the tone than the wood.

2. The main reason id like a mustang is down to my jag-stangs neck. The size and shape is perfect for me. However i dont actually know that specs of the jag-stang neck. The '65 mustangs have a 'C' shaped neck. Is this the same as the jag-stang (do all stock mustangs carry the same neck?)

Can't compare cuz I haven't played a Jag-stang or a RI Mustang. The '65 Mustang neck came in short and longer scales; my longer scale is a slim C-shape. I have medium sized hands (I'm 6' tall, weigh 180 lbs.) and I've adapted very well to the neck.

Apologies if youre all wonder where the hell i've appeared from...I used to frequent these boards about 10 years ago! Hi to anyone who might remember!? mike? doog?

Cheers,

i had a jagstang for years back in the 90's and i found the neck to be very thin, almost like an ibanez.

when i finally got around to getting a mustang, the neck was simply just thicker. the jagstang was cool in the fact that strung over your shoulder the guitar felt very much at home but sitting down was a chore with it. the mustang is the opposite.

Thanks for the reply, Doug. When i do eventually get one, i'll add some pics to the pictures thread!

Would like to see the pictures, Sunburst. See the photos thread, page 20, post 393 for shots of my Mustang. It's not to everyone's taste, so don't be shocked, but it's exactly what I wanted...and it had been refinished in Dakota Red when I bought it, so no harm.

Tried to cut and paste the pictures but they wouldn't cooperate. You might find it more easily if you Search this quote from the accompanying text:

This refin project is done and here are the pictures (thanks, Rob).