Mad-Mike

2012 - Fender Mustang Kurt Cobain

I've been out of the loop lately, but I found out via Offset Guitars that Fender is now releasing a Kurt Cobain Mustang this year. It seems to NOT be one of the Japanese ones imported but rather something new. My hunches say Mexico made. It made it's debut at the 2012 winter NAMM.

KurtCobainMustangedit.jpg

From what I've been able to research (in what little time I have to do it these days), The guitar will be around $999, and will come in fiesta red, sonic blue, and competition blue. It will have a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge, and a Tune-O-Matic bridge. Either way, I have yet to have test driven the Jaguar yet but look forward to and taking this puppy for a spin.

Lot of info being spread around about this. From what I gathered it is going to start around $999.99 for the Sonic Blue and Fiesta Red and a little more for Competition With Stripe. It is going to be Made In Japan just like all Mustangs.

Here is a demo from Japan, named Fender Japan MG-KC:

Here is a picture from the Japan site:

c475243a830f3cafe8392087a30a7b361.jpg

Looking forward to this. This is based on the 5 Mustang guitars Kurt was sent for the In Utero tour. The Comp Stang is nice but is a little forced. Still GASing for one of them.

lol YES!!!! and they actually got it right this time! oh wait no they didnt, the comp mustang doesnt have a matching headstock. go FENDER!!! at least sonic blue is the correct shade though.

and look a FIESTA RED mustang, go figure!

a fiesta red stang is sure to upset a few people on ere i bet.

its always been pretty obvious to anyone who isnt color blind that kurt had a custom color mustang for that tour, just glad to see it confirmed. but yeah, im sure people here will love that. lol

lol YES!!!! and they actually got it right this time! oh wait no they didnt, the comp mustang doesnt have a matching headstock. go FENDER!!! at least sonic blue is the correct shade though.

and look a FIESTA RED mustang, go figure!

Wasnt his humbucker white on the sonic blue model too?

Still, i like the look of those. maybe this is the mustang neck ive been looking for...

Wasnt his humbucker white on the sonic blue model too?

Still, i like the look of those. maybe this is the mustang neck ive been looking for...

I think he switched the Super Distortion out that was white for a JB that was black. You can check it out at the Kurt Cobain's Guitars Now blog site.

TBH I really don't care what one is more like Kurt's though. I kinda think the Comp is sexier but the Sonic Blue would be less expensive. The one thing I didn't like about the KC Jaguar is the neck was 9.5 radius so I'm happy this is 7.25.

I personally have no interest of ever getting an artist model of a guitar. Really weird.

I know how you feel but unless you are buying from Japan you only have a couple of options for Mustangs. I actually was hoping they would of done something like this for the Blacktop Series but, oh well.

I think he switched the Super Distortion out that was white for a JB that was black. You can check it out at the Kurt Cobain's Guitars Now blog site.

TBH I really don't care what one is more like Kurt's though. I kinda think the Comp is sexier but the Sonic Blue would be less expensive. The one thing I didn't like about the KC Jaguar is the neck was 9.5 radius so I'm happy this is 7.25.

I had a look - cheers for the tip! Seems they made 5 sonic blue ones. The site shows 4 of them and each has a black humbucker. i think the sonic blue and fiesta red ones look gorgeous.

its strange that they release the kurt mustang cause the jaguar did not make a huge deal. fender took it out of is commercial frontline after 3 weeks compare to the new modern player who did 3 months

heres a pic of the mustang yall are talking about with the white humbucker. i dunno if these new mustangs will have that same shade of blue, they appear to but you never know.

as for the kurt jag, now that fender has caught up on production for these guitars (finally) youll see more and more of them. from what i understand they sold a lot of them.

Cobains 1993 Japanese Mustang

heres a pic of the mustang yall are talking about with the white humbucker. i dunno if these new mustangs will have that same shade of blue, they appear to but you never know.

as for the kurt jag, now that fender has caught up on production for these guitars (finally) youll see more and more of them. from what i understand they sold a lot of them.

Cobains 1993 Japanese Mustang

Maybe it was originally black and he swapped it for a white, as he used it live more often than the others. In my opinion the Signature Jaguar is too expensive (over a grand in the UK!?). Im hoping these will be more reasonable.

Kurt had atleast one with white humbucker, and one with black!

I know that because I have seen shows that he used white then black then white again.

He didnt change the pickup, 2 different guitars

I know how you feel but unless you are buying from Japan you only have a couple of options for Mustangs. I actually was hoping they would of done something like this for the Blacktop Series but, oh well.

I simply just don't like the thought of using an artists signature guitar. That's for them, their take on what the guitar should look/feel like (most cases anyways)

im pretty sure the white humbucker is a seymore duncan considering it says that right on the pickup itself.

looks like whoever owns that guitar now strung it right handed at some point in time and put a strap holder on the opposite side to play it because its got a hole on the lower horn..... that sucks.

Guest gypsyseven

I personally have no interest of ever getting an artist model of a guitar. Really weird.

Yeah, absolutely.

I am curious as to how the hell the humbucker is held in place...there are no screws holding it to the pickguard.

I wonder if its screwed right to the body