Sign in to follow this  
johnnykazz

Eastwood Hi-Flyer

I know this will be a big hit on this forum and I just wanted to let everyone know about because I think Eastwood makes some pretty great guitars with a decent setup. They have officially stopped production on their Phase 1 Univox Hi-Flier copy and have now come out with a, you guessed it, Phase 4 Univox Hi-Flier copy, specifically designed after Cobain's white Phase 4 that he uses in the "Heart-Shaped Box" video. It is a pretty gorgeous guitar and of course has ultra hot dual humbuckers since it is a Phase 4 copy. The price tag on it is $599.00 or $699.00 with a case. I think the price is a bit high, but I'm sure with the recent outputs of Kurt copies, Eastwood is trying to take a home a slice of the cake too. Here's a pic of it:

hiflyer-phase4_1600.jpg

and here is a picture of the actual Univox that belonged to Kurt:

cobainguitar.jpg

Again, just giving everyone a friendly heads up to grab it if you want it, no word on how long they will be around.

Yes, that's just cashing up on Cobain's name... Obviously they got the color of the pickup switch cover wrong but other than that, it's still a nice guitar, especially if you can't afford a Univox.

As a real tribute to Cobain, they could sell a lefty model (I am sure Cobain would have been thrilled if he had a lefty Univox).

But there is a bunch of companies making these Mosrite copies. DiPinto is another one and they also make good guitars.

Yes, that's just cashing up on Cobain's name... Obviously they got the color of the pickup switch cover wrong but other than that, it's still a nice guitar, especially if you can't afford a Univox.

As a real tribute to Cobain, they could sell a lefty model (I am sure Cobain would have been thrilled if he had a lefty Univox).

But there is a bunch of companies making these Mosrite copies. DiPinto is another one and they also make good guitars.

I agree with you man. The pickup switch cover could probably be easily replaced if you really wanted to on there, which is a good thing. I completely agree with the left-handed idea. It's kind of a drag that they honor a guitar play with a guitar that he himself wouldn't even be able to play haha. Even cooler would be if they ONLY made left-handed versions of all these Kurt signature geetars and if you're re-handed, well... restring it.

I've been wanting one for awhile.

I got a chance to actually play one of these and I didn't think they were bad guitars, but it definitely didn't feel right for me. I would spend the $400-500 on a Mustang first. I would definitely try it before you decide it is or isn't for you.

Good luck finding a lefty mustang for $500 though :(

True, point taken. You could get a lefty Mustang body and neck from TKCustomGuitars. They also offer several modification options and will build you literally anything you want if you discuss specific logistics with them. The neck's are CBS-era Mustang style, but if you ordered a quartersawn neck with 7.25" radius, vintage frets, and selected a Wizard style thickness, you would have a pretty badass Mustang for maybe a little more than $500 after electronics and hardware, depending on if you want it finished or just sealed.

id rather have the real univox. has better mojo. wouldnt take long to find a real white phase 4 for that price.

True, another good point. I'm sure one would come up eventually, and it would definitely be of better quality than this one. I'm not sure it would be timely and prompt for a White/Maple combo Phase 4 lefty to come up though. The lefty part is what makes it tough to say.

I bought this guitar last week in the UK for £450 ( Inc hardcase ) I play right handed, but I bought the left handed model and had it adjusted to play right (I suppose I prefer the shape of the guitar when it has been flipped, I guess from seeing pictures of Kurt playing the guitar this way when I was a 14 year old starting off playing guitar)

Now I am 26 and lucky enough to own the Fender Cobain Jag, Cobain Mustang and Eastwood Hi Flyer, that I use to dream about playing.

The Hi Flyer sounds much better that I first anticipate. In fact, it sounds flipping amazing. The pups sound like they have a high output and produce a good tone when clean and distorted, with endless sustain. From what I gather, the humbuckers are an exact replica of the Phase 4's on the Univox.

This guitar is very light weight and feels great to play.

The professional guitar repair guy who setup my guitar is even going to get one now, and he's no Nirvana Fanboy.

• Like 1

I play right handed, but I bought the left handed model and had it adjusted to play right (I suppose I prefer the shape of the guitar when it has been flipped, I guess from seeing pictures of Kurt playing the guitar this way when I was a 14 year old starting off playing guitar)

Thats probably because if you look at the body of a right handed one, the deepest cut on the horns, which would allow you to access the lower frets, is actually on the top, meaning the body on a right handed one, is actually a left handed body.

I changed the pickguard to red tort. I think it adds more character than the original white one.

IMG_20140129_081334731_zpssjlwbsd6.jpg

IMG_20140129_081319941_zpsvvbhyhnx.jpg