The Slide Thread

I thought it would be cool if we all shared are techniques on playing slide. Favorite slide tunings, uses for slides, what guitars do you like to use?, etc.

I wear my slide on my 3rd finger. My favorite tunings for slides are Open A, Open D, and Drop D. I use glass slides. My favorite guitar to use is my 60's Rickenbacker steel slide guitar that my cousins grandpa gave to me and my brother, and my Homebuilt flying V. I like to use my slide for aggressive rock/blues (Jack White style).

Photo14.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, newish poster here, long time lurker.

For some reason I thought that more people would play slide her but I guess not.

I tend to play Jack White style aswell, I play in open A, Open E and DADADD,

I use a Cheap strat copy that's been refinned White with a fabric covered pickguard.

I use brass and chrome slides, i find the glass one I have to give a really thin and weedy tone but to each his own.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I play slide often. I don't think i have any special techniques. I have some friends who are killer slide players. Let me grab a video of one of them. This is Julian Primeaux playing in his dads band AJ and the badcats. I would like to think that if Kurt played slide then it would feel like this. If you can hold on till the 5:40 mark then you won't be sorry. I am proud to say that this one of my best friends and he is playing on and engineering some songs for me. Thanks Julian and i think ya'll will enjoy the pure passion.

-

-

• 2 weeks later...

Do you remember his name? Was it Cedell Davis? Watch the movie "you see me laughing" and you'll see some killer blues players. I got lucky enough to hang out with and make friends with T-Model Ford and we talked about Mr. Davis and R.L. and all the hill stomp blues players. He was cool as hell and we got hammered! My friend that i posted the video of earlier in this thread opened for T-Model. Good times.

-

-

• 1 year later...

I haven't played slide in a long, long time but...well I actually I haven't played anything in a long time until last January, been on a long hiatus due to new family, house, career etc etc..anyway, for a while it was sort of my main thing, with a Gibson SG and then my first Mustang. The Mustang frets were so worn I kind of had to set it up for slide. Had all kinds of slides,  Dunlop chrome plated tube, and a thin glass tube, then an actual bottle neck and pieces of brass or copper tubing. Ultimately my favorite slide was long necked chrome plated wrench sockets, 15mm or 5/8" or something like that, I forget. The extra mass at the end of the socket was kind cool, you could sort of dig in with it.