Some tips buying first Mustang (probably from Japan)

carlmcd

So I finally got tired of trolling Craigslist for the perfect Mustang, and I'm thinking I might just try getting a new reissue from Japan. I'd just get one here, but honestly I'm not wild about the selection that Fender has in the US. So a few questions, if maybe somebody has done this here.

- Did you get held up by customs? How much, if any, did you have to pay? This is in the US, as mentioned.

- Anything quirky about the 73 Competition reissues (http://fenderjapan.co.jp/mg73co.html) I should know? I've only actually touched the 65 and Pawn Shop, and the latter doesn't really count (not bad, just not a normal Mustang).

- Any dealers you can recommend on price, service, or both? Best lead I have right now is. Kurosawa Music, seem to have a good mix of price and selection. However, payment is limited to wire transfer or PayPal. Uncomfortable. Still, about $200-$400 less than other options, based on their website (and google currency conversion) . Mainly because everybody else (ebay and English oriented sites) seems to be charging full sticker price (converted to dollars). Yikes!

- Anybody seen the Ocean Turquoise Metallic (OTM) in person? Is it ridiculous? I'm leaning towards that or the Vintage White.

- Any other general advice?

EDIT: Looks like duty on a guitar from Japan runs like 9%. Not cheap, but not crazy.

So I finally got tired of trolling Craigslist for the perfect Mustang, and I'm thinking I might just try getting a new reissue from Japan. I'd just get one here, but honestly I'm not wild about the selection that Fender has in the US. So a few questions, if maybe somebody has done this here.

- Did you get held up by customs? How much, if any, did you have to pay? This is in the US, as mentioned.

- Anything quirky about the 73 Competition reissues (http://fenderjapan.co.jp/mg73co.html) I should know? I've only actually touched the 65 and Pawn Shop, and the latter doesn't really count (not bad, just not a normal Mustang).

- Any dealers you can recommend on price, service, or both? Best lead I have right now is. Kurosawa Music, seem to have a good mix of price and selection. However, payment is limited to wire transfer or PayPal. Uncomfortable. Still, about $200-$400 less than other options, based on their website (and google currency conversion) . Mainly because everybody else (ebay and English oriented sites) seems to be charging full sticker price (converted to dollars). Yikes!

- Anybody seen the Ocean Turquoise Metallic (OTM) in person? Is it ridiculous? I'm leaning towards that or the Vintage White.

- Any other general advice?

EDIT: Looks like duty on a guitar from Japan runs like 9%. Not cheap, but not crazy.

What is the link for Kurosawa music? I am also looking for a Fender Mustang.

kurosawagakki.com

Good selection, got back to my email super quickly, and relatively reasonable prices. They charge the normal discounted prices (in yen), not full fender sticker price like some places.

Which means that even after the $170 or so for insured shipping, you aren't paying much more than you'd pay for a reissue in the US. Came out to like 1100 usd with shipping (quote, haven't ordered yet).

Re: customs/duty/import tax: I have bought 3 guitars directly from Japan. 2 were used, one was new and never paid any tax on any of em. One shipment even had a receipt showing a customs fee of ~108.00 (the new one) that they never collected from me. All 3 were from different sellers. I'd say your chances of paying customs are pretty random but more likely on a new guitar. YMMV

It's hard to understand...paying that kind of money when you can surely get a good used Mustang here for half that. If you're patient and persistent. Friend, my '65 had been refinished when I found it, but the parts were all original and it was in excellent condition with the OHSC. I paid $875 USD. For a vintage Mustang.

I know you can get a good axe and save a bundle. Whatever you do, have fun... :-cool

• 4 weeks later...

It's hard to understand...paying that kind of money when you can surely get a good used Mustang here for half that. If you're patient and persistent. Friend, my '65 had been refinished when I found it, but the parts were all original and it was in excellent condition with the OHSC. I paid $875 USD. For a vintage Mustang.

I know you can get a good axe and save a bundle. Whatever you do, have fun... B)

You'll be pleased to know I regained my senses. It helped that a cheap reissue came up on Craigslist right down the street....from a guy where I work no less, so he let me borrow it before buying. It's not exactly what I wanted, but if/when the time comes I can recoup most of what I paid, and it gives me something to play on now while I wait. Definitely taking your post to heart, though.

Also loving this 'stang. After a couple weeks with it, I'm definitely sold on them.

You'll be pleased to know I regained my senses. It helped that a cheap reissue came up on Craigslist right down the street....from a guy where I work no less, so he let me borrow it before buying. It's not exactly what I wanted, but if/when the time comes I can recoup most of what I paid, and it gives me something to play on now while I wait. Definitely taking your post to heart, though.

Also loving this 'stang. After a couple weeks with it, I'm definitely sold on them.

That's really good news, Carl. Glad you're happy with your new Mustang. Now you can keep trolling for exactly the Mustang you want while you play your heart out on this one. And if it feels and sounds like a keeper after a while, you can always refinish it exactly the way you want.

:rolleyes::-smokin:)B)