Buy or build?

My first guitar was a jagstang and yeah most people really do look to that guitar as the nirvana kurt guitar, more so than the kc mustang i would think because it wouldnt even exsist without the man, i mean they even built a statue of a jagstang to honor kurt in his home town so i really do have to disagree with you on that completly, but its really just a guitar so who gives a flying ####, and yes im just busting your balls because your statement seemed to contradict itself but whatever.

Ur jagstang is basswood, unless you have the reissue which is made of alder but most all ibanez are basswood, it has a really deep bottom end tone that shredders love, that ebay guitar is made of poplar so itll be snappy and sustainy but a bit heavier in weight. Alder will be balanced and even and a bit lighter than poplar.

I just wanna add that i really dont think the kc mustang is for fan boys, of course it will appeal to them, but i think its really just an updated version of a great guitar, but it so obvious they are just cashing in on the name. Its just age old marketing. Use jordan for nike, any football player for chucky soup, the list goes on, i wouldnt knock a product based on that though.

I understand what you're saying, and I do agree with you on that, but I thought we were referring to a guitar sounding like Kurt. Which is why I was implying that the Kurt Cobain Mustang would sound a lot more like Kurt than my modded Jag-Stang because of pickups and such. Also, I recently discovered that the back on the neck on my Jag-Stang says "Crafted In Japan" with a QXXXXXX serial, which I guess I was mistaken and this is actually a reissue Jag-Stang made of Alder correct? I didn't look into where my guitar came from I guess. Oh, well. So Alder is better than Basswood if I want to play medium distortion alternative music on it, no distortion, and occasionally some punk? I don't even know how to shred or I'm not good enough or whatever so I don't really need a geetar for shredding anyway.

I'd say go vintage with a Mustang as you can still find 1960s and 1970s guitars cheap as a new, especially if not especially original with swapped pickups, refinishes, etc. Still got loads of mojo. Plus, the small frets and vintage radius of an old mustang kind of IS a Mustang for me.

It's not like a Strat where even crappy claims to 'vintage status' shove the price up by miles.

Thanks for the input groovemonger. It seems to be the consensus that if I'm going with a Mustang and working with that price, that I should go for a vintage one. Thanks a lot for the response.

I understand what you're saying, and I do agree with you on that, but I thought we were referring to a guitar sounding like Kurt. Which is why I was implying that the Kurt Cobain Mustang would sound a lot more like Kurt than my modded Jag-Stang because of pickups and such. Also, I recently discovered that the back on the neck on my Jag-Stang says "Crafted In Japan" with a QXXXXXX serial, which I guess I was mistaken and this is actually a reissue Jag-Stang made of Alder correct? I didn't look into where my guitar came from I guess. Oh, well. So Alder is better than Basswood if I want to play medium distortion alternative music on it, no distortion, and occasionally some punk? I don't even know how to shred or I'm not good enough or whatever so I don't really need a geetar for shredding anyway.

a JB is a Jeff Beck model humbucker, i dont think nirvanas tone sounded like jeff beck or even wanted to sound like Jeff Beck so no i dont think youd sound like nirvana or jeff beck in that respect either if you got the KC mustang. i like the JB's, they have a really nice biting tone without too much over the top push to it.

honestly, id go with the 65 thats on ebay right now, itll feel more like your jagstang from the lack of contours and will allow you to easily put the pick up's you want in it and save a few bucks in the process.

as for woods, i know basswood is mostly made on japanese guitars and fender japan and ibanez make guitars at the same factory so they must just use the same wood blanks, but its no surprise they use basswood to get that metal tone, mahogany is good for metal too, its a very dark thumpy sounding wood. i used to think tone woods were all hearsay BS and didnt really matter, but after trying out so many different kinds i can really hear the difference.

the 65 mustang will have poplar and sustain for days, and wont sound anything like your jagstang. alder is just kinda like good all around, not too dark, not too bright, its a clear detailed wood.

a JB is a Jeff Beck model humbucker, i dont think nirvanas tone sounded like jeff beck or even wanted to sound like Jeff Beck so no i dont think youd sound like nirvana or jeff beck in that respect either if you got the KC mustang. i like the JB's, they have a really nice biting tone without too much over the top push to it.

honestly, id go with the 65 thats on ebay right now, itll feel more like your jagstang from the lack of contours and will allow you to easily put the pick up's you want in it and save a few bucks in the process.

as for woods, i know basswood is mostly made on japanese guitars and fender japan and ibanez make guitars at the same factory so they must just use the same wood blanks, but its no surprise they use basswood to get that metal tone, mahogany is good for metal too, its a very dark thumpy sounding wood. i used to think tone woods were all hearsay BS and didnt really matter, but after trying out so many different kinds i can really hear the difference.

the 65 mustang will have poplar and sustain for days, and wont sound anything like your jagstang. alder is just kinda like good all around, not too dark, not too bright, its a clear detailed wood.

Thanks man, I also assumed that woods didn't make a substantial difference unless you were a picky musician. I'll take your word for it because I never really had the chance to play different guitars that I am interested in during one sitting. My local guitar center seems to be loaded with a bunch of metal style guitars and also people shredding or whatever so I tend to not like to test guitars there. As far as its Fender selection, they had 0 24" scale Fenders in stock and I am dead serious. It was all Strats and Teles, which are great guitars in their own respects and I had a lot of fun hearing the difference between and Mexi Strat and a USA Strat, but I honestly am pretty adapted to the 24" scale, and more specifically the 7.25" radius as well. All of my local independent stores are either violin/cello shops, which I dig but am no good at, or they are vintage guitar shops selling 50's Gibsons that I won't be able to afford in my lifetime. Do your local music stores stock any short scale Fenders? Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that I will never get to play the Kurt Mustang or Jaguar, or any of the newly released short scales for that matter, unless I buy them over the internet which is pretty #### lame.

wow they sold that fast.

I was gonna say haha I think it already sold. Damn.

To the other guy, yeah man they don't even have the Pawn Shop Mustangs at my local Guitar Center. I honestly have no reason to hate GC cause I just got my amp their at a swell price, but I also have no reason to like them when it comes to guitars, effects, even #### strings. They don't even stock Dean Markley strings at mine. Not even the Blue Steel ones. I mainly use the new vintage series 1973 model Regular 9-46 or whatever and they never have those ever. I already said about the guitar selection they have.