Fender Mustang Neck Confusion

Two questions....sorry about being greedy

I was looking 'round the internet at the New Kurt Cobain Mustang Signature and found one on this site with MADE IN JAPAN with a U-6 digit on the back heel...I have a pretty good knowledge of mustangs to know that the Kurt Cobain Signature would be a Crafted in Japan not a MIJ....I compared it to my Mustang which is MIJ with a U-6 digit serial number 65 Reissue in Daphne Blue and the Dot inlays on the top of the neck (what you see when you play to know what fret you on) are white or cream and are place half on the rosewood and half on the maple, basically like the original 65 mustang.....the Cobain mustang are Black and are only on the maple....I looked on the internet *thinking thats the way Cobain had is inlays on his mustang* and found a white fender mustang with stripe CIJ with the same inlays.

The Second Question is wood quality

While comparing necks, I discovered that my maple was much more orangey with a better looking maple with very prominent grain. I had the Fender Japan page up *while looking at the necks and Inlays* and the neck was basically the same as the MG65/VSP and not the normal MG65 (Mustang Reissue) being the same colour and maple as the VSP. On the site the VSP is basically a reissue but a better quality one using better poplar, with a bent tremolo arm and with pickups coping the old american ones. I know my mustang is not a VSP due to the fact that it is in Daphne blue and the blue on the VSP is much darker.

Basically

Can someone explain why the Kurt Cobain Mustang Signature has a 1995-96 MIJ Neck ?

Explain the top of the neck dot inlays...Do Mustangs past 69 have different inlays ? both Orginals and Reissues

Explain the VSP neck on a normal Reissue Mustang ?

Kurt Cobain Mustang

http://elderly.com/fmic/items/KCM-LPB.htm

Fender Japan MG65

http://fenderjapan.co.jp/mg65.html

Fender Japan MG65/VSP

http://fenderjapan.co.jp/mg65vsp.html

Two questions....sorry about being greedy

I was looking 'round the internet at the New Kurt Cobain Mustang Signature and found one on this site with MADE IN JAPAN with a U-6 digit on the back heel...I have a pretty good knowledge of mustangs to know that the Kurt Cobain Signature would be a Crafted in Japan not a MIJ....I compared it to my Mustang which is MIJ with a U-6 digit serial number 65 Reissue in Daphne Blue and the Dot inlays on the top of the neck (what you see when you play to know what fret you on) are white or cream and are place half on the rosewood and half on the maple, basically like the original 65 mustang.....the Cobain mustang are Black and are only on the maple....I looked on the internet *thinking thats the way Cobain had is inlays on his mustang* and found a white fender mustang with stripe CIJ with the same inlays.

The Second Question is wood quality

While comparing necks, I discovered that my maple was much more orangey with a better looking maple with very prominent grain. I had the Fender Japan page up *while looking at the necks and Inlays* and the neck was basically the same as the MG65/VSP and not the normal MG65 (Mustang Reissue) being the same colour and maple as the VSP. On the site the VSP is basically a reissue but a better quality one using better poplar, with a bent tremolo arm and with pickups coping the old american ones. I know my mustang is not a VSP due to the fact that it is in Daphne blue and the blue on the VSP is much darker.

Basically

Can someone explain why the Kurt Cobain Mustang Signature has a 1995-96 MIJ Neck ?

Explain the top of the neck dot inlays...Do Mustangs past 69 have different inlays ? both Orginals and Reissues

Explain the VSP neck on a normal Reissue Mustang ?

Kurt Cobain Mustang

http://elderly.com/fmic/items/KCM-LPB.htm

Fender Japan MG65

http://fenderjapan.co.jp/mg65.html

Fender Japan MG65/VSP

http://fenderjapan.co.jp/mg65vsp.html

I don't know much about this subject, but I just wanted to propose that they maybe used that Made In Japan neck as a faithful reproduction of what Kurt played. Weren't some of his Mustangs 1993 or so reissues? I know he played a few real 1960's Mustangs but I thought that he had some reissues from the 90's. Or maybe they just wanted to have 90's style neck to preserve the whole "grunge" thing and sell his name or whatever. You will get way more valuable advice from someone like HNB, just give him sometime to come across this topic haha. Good luck figuring it out man and pointing it out, it is a pretty interesting question and I agree confusing.

Here you go.

Japanese Serials

Here's some info:

There's a good thread on the TDPRI (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/173387-fender-japan-confusion-mij-old-new.html) about Fender Japan's return to "Made In Japan." (Photo evidence suggests that newer MIJ guitars have a bolder font.)

Fender Japan stamped guitars "Made In Japan" from 1982-1997 and started again in 2007. They stamped guitars "Crafted In Japan" from 1995-2008.

From the Fender Japan website (http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/support.html) (used Google to translate the Japanese):

Serial Number Approximate year of manufacture

Made in Japan JV + 5 truss の figures 1982-1984

Made in Japan SQ + 5 truss の figures 1983-1984

Made in Japan E + 6 truss の figures 1984-1987

Made in Japan A + 6 truss の figures 1985-1986

Made in Japan B + 6 truss の figures 1985-1986

Made in Japan C + 6 truss の figures 1985-1986

Made in Japan F + 6 truss の figures 1986-1987

Made in Japan G + 6 truss の figures 1987-1988

Made in Japan H + 6 truss の figures 1988-1989

Made in Japan I + 6 truss の figures 1989-1990

Made in Japan J + 6 truss の figures 1989-1990

Made in Japan K + 6 truss の figures 1990-1991

Made in Japan L + 6 truss の figures 1991-1992

Made in Japan M + 6 truss の figures 1992-1993

Made in Japan N + 6 truss の figures 1993-1994

Made in Japan O + 6 truss の figures 1993-1994

Made in Japan P + 6 truss の figures 1993-1994

Made in Japan Q + 6 truss の figures 1993-1994

Made in Japan S + 6 truss の figures 1994-1995

Made in Japan T + 6 truss の figures 1994-1995

Made in Japan U + 6 truss の figures 1995-1996

Made in Japan V + 6 truss の figures 1996-1997

Crafted in Japan A + 6 truss の figures 1997-1998

Crafted in Japan N + 5 truss の figures 1995-1996

Crafted in Japan O0 + 5 truss の figures 1997-2000

Crafted in Japan P0 + 5 truss の figures 1999-2002

Crafted in Japan Q0 + 5 truss の figures 2002-2004

Crafted in Japan R0 + 5 truss の figures 2004-2006

Crafted in Japan S0 + 5 truss の figures 2006-2008

Crafted in Japan T0 + 5 truss の figures 2007-2008

Made in Japan T0 + 5 truss の figures 2007-2010

Made in Japan U0 + 5 truss の figures 2010-

Fender Japan has been reusing letters in their new guitars. They also have been going back to Made in Japan on some vs Crafted in Japan. Makes dating the old and new ones trickier.

So wait....your telling me that a Japanese fender with a serial number with 0 after the letter on the serial number is 2000-present or in my case 2010...do you have any examples of serial numbers from the 90's so I can compare ?

5406207433_b0f38fb9c9.jpg

DSCF9613 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Here's the serial number of mine...sorry about taking so long to put up...I have a feeling thats its 2010 onwards due to the boldness of MADE IN JAPAN...took the liberty of putting them side to side to compare...mine being the one on the right...feel free the steal...just in case you need it in the future ^^

Here's the link of the two numbers